INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Hey, AleXa: Set Wake-up Alarm for 5 am...
Play Some K-pop Songs... and Rule the World!


COLD OPEN:
CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW! 

"Rule The World" [Dance Clip - Day Version]
- TheFatRat & AleXa (Sept. 2020) 

 ALEXA 
Who would ever suspect that one of the brightest rising stars of
South Korean K-pop was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma? 


Alexandra Christine Schneiderman aka Alex Christine,
currently known professionally as AleXa, is a
multilingual singer and dancer now
based in South Korea.


The daughter of a Korean adoptee, AleXa is a leading
artist in the mind blowing world of K-pop, the
music genre originating in South Korea.


 AleXa competed in “Rising Legends” where nearly a million fan votes
made her the winner. Shortly after being signed to the ZB Label,
AleXa beat thousands of contestants to become one of the
96 chosen to participate in Mnet’s “PRODUCE 48,”
the most competitive audition show in Korea. 


K-pop artists and groups undergo years of intense training. As you will see,
the videos produced for female acts are dazzling spectacles showcasing
the women in colorful, fashionable outfits performing awesome
synchronized dance moves and formation changes. 


K-pop music reflects Western and African-American influences,
with sounds from Hip-hop, R&B, Jazz, black pop, soul, funk,
techno, disco, house, and Afrobeats. A single song can
take you on a thrill ride thru a mix of these genres.
 

In the wink of an eye, the mood can shift and the artist's
attitude change from sweet to sassy to rappy to powerful,
cunning, resourceful fighting super heroine (like me). 

Sun Baek - Sense8

Hi, I am Sun Baek, daughter of a powerful Seoul business executive,
a fierce warrior and a burgeoning star in the underground kickboxing
world on the Netflix sci-fi drama Sense8. It has been nearly six years
since Shady Dell Knight explored the K-pop genre on his old blog.


Today I bring you a sneak preview of the new radio series
Sense8 Sensibility
coming soon to Shady's Place. I invite you to sample the sights
and sounds of AleXa and three other popular K-pop artists.

 ALEXA 

In the video at the top of the post, AleXa collaborated with TheFatRat,
a German DJ, record producer and musician who specializes in the EDM
genre known as "glitch-hop." Next, here's Alexa with a solo performance
singing "Obsession," a song released in the summer of 2021 as the B side
of her second single album ReviveR. To borrow titles of hit songs from
Gene Pitney and The Rolling Stones, AleXa is "24 Hours From Tulsa"
and "1000 Light Years From Home!"

"Obsession" - AleXa (special clip of July 2021 single) 

 ALEXA 

At the start of 2022, AleXa released the single album "Tattoo."
The production is lavish and the song one of the catchiest
and most beautiful of the K-pop genre.

"TATTOO" - AleXa (Jan. 2022) 

 BLACKPINK 

Next, here is the group BLACKPINK which consists of members Jisoo,
Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa. BLACKPINK is the highest-charting female
Korean act on the Billboard Hot 100 and a group that has broken
numerous online records throughout their career. The video you
are about to watch set a record for the most-viewed music video
within the first 24 hours of release. Here now is BLACKPINK
doing their 2019 international electropop hit-- "Kill This Love."

"Kill This Love" - BLACKPINK
(Apr./May/June 2019, highest chart pos.
#41 Hot 100/#1 U.S. World Digital Song Sales,
#2 South Korea/#1 Malaysia/#6 Japan) 


 LISA 

Lalisa Manobal aka Lisa is a Thai rapper, singer and dancer based in
South Korea and a member of the girl group BLACKPINK. In the
fall of 2021, Lisa made her solo debut with the single album
Lalisa. The album set a new record for release week sales in
South Korea. The video you are about to see registered 73.6
million views on YouTube in the first 24 hours of its release,
becoming the platform's most-viewed music video by a
solo artist in the first 24 hours. The vid now boasts nearly
520 million views! Lisa of BLACKPINK sings-- "Lalisa."

"Lalisa" - Lisa
(Sept/Oct./Nov. 2021, highest chart pos. #1 Malaysia,
#2 U.S. Billboard Global 200/#2 Singapore) 


 ROSÉ 

Singer and dancer Roseanne Park, pro name Rosé, was born in New Zealand,
raised in Australia and is now based in South Korea and is another member
of BLACKPINK. Rosé was selected as an endorsement model for the
Korean cosmetics brand Kiss Me. Recently she was listed among
the top 10 most-followed Korean individuals on Instagram with
over 37 million followers. As a solo artist, Rosé's best known song
was released in March 2021 on her single album R which became
the best-selling album by a female soloist in the Korean chart's
history. The lead single became the highest-charting song by a
Korean female soloist in the US. It also debuted and peaked at
number 1 on the U.S. Global 200, the first song by a Korean
solo artist to do so in the chart's history. Here now is Rosé of
BLACKPINK with the lovely, introspective- "On The Ground."   

"On The Ground" - Rosé 
Mar./Apr./May 2021, highest chart pos. # #1 Malaysia,
#1 Singapore/#1 U.S. Global 200/#3 South Korea) 


 ALEXA 

Earlier, Alexa performed "Obsession," the B side of her 2021 single album.
Here now is the A side, a track described as "a nostalgic throwback to
bubblegum pop from the beginning of the millennium, with groovy
horns conveying a funky vibe that’s perfect for summer." Here's
AleXa, along with BM (Big Matthew) of the South Korean
co-ed group KARD, with-- "Xtra!"

"Xtra" - AleXa with BM of KARD
(June 2021 music video) 

 ALEX

I hope you enjoyed meeting K-pop star AleXa along with Lisa,
Rosé and their group BLACKPINK.

Sun Baek - Sense8

 Stay tuned to meet more exciting music acts from around the world
when I join the 7 other sensates for the premiere of the S-P-M-M
  radio show Sense8 Sensibility coming soon to Shady's Place.

 ALEX

 This is Sun Baek saying goodbye for now, and playing one last killer
song by featured artist AleXa. "Sorry not sorry," she's a -- "Villain." 

"Villain" - AleXa (July 2020) 


22 comments:

  1. I admit, I don't understand K-pop or the fascination with it. But at least it's easier watching the girls than the guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for being the Early Bird again this week, good buddy!

      I agree with you on that score, Alex. K-pop is too big to ignore, and it's been close to six years since I posted anything from the genre. I thought it especially neat that a girl from the U.S. heartland has risen to prominence on the Korean pop scene. Looking at her and listening to her, I never would have guessed.

      Thanks again for coming over, and enjoy the rest of your week, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  2. K-pop sure seems to have become a major genre! I think the only thing in my music library that might qualify is a song by Amber Liu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I forgot to sign my name. Or maybe Pat forgot. (Kelly)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kelly & Pat!

      Thanks for finishing second, dear friend, as thousands rush the gate to enter Shady's Place! :)

      Yessum, that's why I was compelled to do something after six years. K-Pop is simply too big a phenomenon to ignore. The numbers of views and likes on the YouTube videos of K-Pop artists and groups is staggering.

      I hope you found something to like in this assortment of artists and songs, with your neighbor from Tulsa town, Heartland native AleXa, being the star attraction.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
    3. Great news, Kelly! I just installed a widget that will allow Pat to sign in using "paw recognition." :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful girls, catchy tunes, fabulous dancing and who knew Korea was such a hot bed of talent. (Well, with lots of imports!) However....they all sound pretty much alike and I think the allure might be trying to not look Korean. I hadn't heard of K-pop but I sure can see why kids would like it. I always enjoy learning something new and you have delivered again Shady! I will say I loved the outfits! I like Alexa's little tear drops too! I hope all's well with you and Mrs. Shady and I'm still keeping you in my prayers as you mourn the loss of your cousin. Take care Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks so much for coming over to sample the sights and sounds of K-Pop, dear friend! Sun Baek, one of the hosts of the new series Sense8 Sensibility, welcomes you through the door to listen and learn about something new!

      I like your observations about K-Pop, YaYa. There is indeed a lot of similarity in the look and sound from one artist or group to another. I think it is because the major record labels of the genre know what will sell. They have discovered a very popular and successful formula, and so everyone copies it. I agree that there is plenty of Western influence in the genre. As you might have noticed, some songs are sung in English and some are primarily sung in Korean with occasional English words and phrases. Every performer is immaculately groomed and dressed in dazzling, fashionable outfits. The sets are lavish. Songs are often divided into segments, each with its own look, sound and feel. It's fascinating.

      Thank you again for your kind visit and your thoughts about Paula. She was laid to rest in York yesterday, and today I was sent a picture showing her beloved pet cat in its brand new forever home with a family that has another cat to help keep it company. I hope the poor thing can make the adjustment. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

      Delete
  4. Hi Shady!

    K-Pop is a guilty pleasure of mine. Alexa has to be my favourite - beautiful voice, catchy tunes, and fabulous dancing. I am going to have to subscribe to her on YouTube.

    I agree with Yaya - who would have thought that Korea was such a hot bed of talent! I also love J-Pop, but it seems like Korea has come out more in recent years than Japan when it comes to music.

    I know what I will be listening to in the office tomorrow, dear friend. :) Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for coming by, dear friend. I hope by now you are in more of a mood to sing and dance. You were down in the dumps last time.

      I'm thrilled that you know and like K-Pop and that you favor AleXa. Hard to believe she's an Okie. It's cool that you are open to listening to and learning about different music genres including K-Pop and J-Pop.

      Yessum, play this song list at work tamale and crank it up to 10. (Make sure to use your earbuds, though. :) Thanks again for coming to Sun's Sense8 preview party, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Yes, I'm feeling much better and feeling relieved - check out my new entry.

      I found AleXa's YouTube and subscribed to her this morning. I cranked up the volume to my earbuds and rocked out for the morning. Best morning ever!

      I love music and I love discovering new music. Can't wait to see more of Sun's Sense8!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Wow, I'm very happy that you found so much to like in Sun's song selections and appreciate the artistry that goes into these spectacular K-pop productions. It's good to know that you took my advice and let these tunes keep you company as you worked today.

      Yessum, I saw the headline on your latest post and know what's coming. I'll be over shortly. Stick around more music of the world in the official debut of Sense8 Sensibility - another Shady's Place exclusive - coming soon!

      Delete
    4. Hi dear friend,

      Yeah. I feel relieved and I've been chatting with Brian. We've been flirting a bit too. I'll be curious to see where this goes, but taking my time. :)

      I haven't gone roller skating this summer and I want to try this weekend since the heat has broken a bit. If I do go roller skating, I want to listen to Alexa as I rollerskate.

      Have a great Thankful Thursday, dear friend.

      Delete
    5. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      If you feel relieved, then that seems to indicate that the relationship was adding stress to your life - all the more reason to view the break-up in a positive light. Yessum, take it slow and easy with Brian or anyone else you meet. Let it flow, let it evolve at its own pace. Even if it results in nothing beyond a friendship, that's still a win. 40+ years ago, I had a purely platonic relationship with a woman. We were "horror movie buddies" - met in theaters and watched scary films together. That was the extent of it. It was fun, and I still have happy memories of it.

      Mrs. Shady is calling me away for a couple of hours. I'll visit your site later tonight. See you then!

      Delete
  5. I have yo admit, it's not my thing. They do have good voices and they sound and look more confident because they don't grate and pirn themselves out. They are bold and more in your face which I like. I listened to each song and some I prefer over others but I'd never buy one. I am surprised how Korea became the hotbed gor this music. I am also surprised at how young they are and the world is wide open for them. I hope they spend wisely or I should say, save wisely you have a good day and enjoy the sun even if you are inside with the A/C like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      Welcome to Shady's Place, dear friend! I'm happy that you could be a Day 2 Daisy this time instead of a Late Lizzy. :)

      I like your musings. I didn't expect K-pop be the favorite music genre of any of my commenting readers, but I hope you agree it is worth knowing about, exploring and studying, given its immense popularity around the globe. K-pop has been evolving since the late 1990s. Its origins include dance, gospel, R&B, hip hop, jazz, folk, disco, classical, country, rock, reggae and even experimental - the latter defined as music that pushes existing boundaries and genre definitions.. Modern K-pop manifests a variety of influences and styles. Wiki sez K-pop songs: << typically consist of one or a mixture of pop, rock, hip hop, R&B, and electronic music genres. >> I detect the Western influence in these K-pop recordings. The style of singing and the arrangements are similar to those I have heard by modern dance-pop and electro-pop artists in the UK, Australia and the U.S. I like the way any particular song can cross several genres as it goes along, accompanied by changes in costumes and sets.

      Yessum, "bold and confident" are adjectives that apply to K-pop performers. Artists of the genre are groomed at an early age and undergo extensive training so that they can sing exquisitely, execute the acrobatic synchronized dances and radiate personal power.

      Thanks again for coming by to meet Oklahoma born K-popper AleXa and for contributing to the discussion of the genre. Take care, have a wonderful day and I'll see you tamale, dear friend BB!

      Delete
  6. I listen to some K-POP but it's mostly Ateez or BTS. I have heard Blackpink a few times but Alexa is new to me. I like their songs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary!

      Yep, you guessed it. Your comment went straight to spam again! Thank you so much for coming over, dear friend!

      How about that AleXa?... an Okie from Tulsa town who's making a splash on the K-pop scene. I'm happy to know you are at least somewhat familiar with the genre and find value in it. It's my pleasure to expose you and other friends to the new and different.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Mary, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  7. Good morning Shady! Appreciate your diverse shows, always learning about something new or reliving the oldies. I must agree with a few of the previous commenters that K-pop is not really my thing, especially when sung in a different language. Some of their outfits are pretty interesting though.
    My daughter and I went and saw the Backstreet Boys last night...I knew every one of their songs and was singing my heart out. That's my kind of pop. LOL. Have a wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      I'm glad you saw that I have a new post running, dear friend. Thanks for coming over to sample some K-pop with AleXa and other artists of the genre!

      Yessum, it doesn't surprise me that K-pop is foreign to your ears and not entirely your taste. Truth be told, I often find myself in unfamiliar territory when I visit other blogs and not keenly interested in the content, but to me, that's what blogging is all about - an opportunity to be exposed to something new and learn from it. There's little to gain for any of us if we post only the material we know and love. A good example was my previous post which included major hits by Paul McCartney, Frankie Valli and other artists.. We've all heard those songs a million times. I don't want to do that very often because there's no point to it.

      I'm delighted to know that you and your daughter saw the BSB last night at an area venue (The Winery?) and that you guys had a great time. Thanks again for coming over and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Janet!

      Delete
  8. I liked all the selections, though I have to admit were I to hear them on the radio, I wouldn't immediately identify these songs with South Korea. I guess my ear needs some educating in that regard. I assuming that even though AleXa grew up in Tulsa, her parents didn't. And, finally, what in the world is the US Global 200? Sounds like a contradiction in terms, or this country is even more hegemonic than I thought it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, KIrk!

      Thanks for coming by, good buddy! You arrived right in the nicotine before AleXa and her singing, dancing friends pack up and head back to Korea. I'm happy to learn that you liked their show.

      K-pop is becoming Westernized. If I close my eyes, I might not be able to i.d. the country of origin either. To answer your question, Billboard is an American magazine. Among the many charts it publishes is the weekly Global 200. Wiki sez: << The chart ranks the top songs globally and is based on digital sales and online streaming from over 200 territories worldwide. First announced in mid-2019, it officially launched in September 2020. >> So, as you can see, the chart hasn't existed very long.

      Thanks again for checking out some of the leading acts of the current K-pop movement, good buddy Kirk. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind