INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Good Girls, Robert W. Morgan & Dr. Don Rose Join Hepcat Black as the Newest Members of "The Bunch"!


GOOD GIRLS
GO TO HEAVEN.
BAD GIRLS GO EVERYWHERE.


 THESE GOOD GIRLS 
 REVOLT! 


BOOTH ANNOUNCER GARY OWENS:
...and the cow was returned to its rightful owner.


And that's the latest from S-P-M-M news...
fast, up-to-the-minute, completely fake
and proud of it. Now stand by to meet
six more new members of

 THE SHADY BUNCH 

on the station that's #1 for music and fun - S-P-M-M!

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!
(COLD SHOW OPEN)


"A Quiet Place" - Garnet Mimms And The Enchanters
(July/Aug. 1964, highest chart pos. #78 Hot 100 & R&B/#89 Cash Box)

"Lady lady lady... why do you holler? Ain't nobody seen your Johnny Dollar!"
From the summer of '64, that was a fab uptown soul classic by my main man,
the sensational Garnet Mimms along with The Enchanters-- "A Quiet Place."





Hello & happy new year! Yours truly Hyski, Hy Lit,
The South Philadelphia Kid... The Potentate of the
Keystone State... welcoming you to part 2 of our
New Year's Spectacular on S-P-M-M Retrosonic
Radio where all the cool oldies come to play.
We're kicking off 2020 in a big big way by
introducing a total of 8, count 'em - EIGHT
new boss jocks down here at the plant.
Time for you to meet one of them now.
He's a cool kitty and that's a fact, Jack.
Here's my buddy, my pal... my feral
feline friend-- Hepcat Black!




Hey hey, thank you, Hy Lit...
and happy 2020, everybody!


I'm Hepcat Black... I got the knack...
and my new show's called Pink Cadillac!

I'm here to prove that old school is cool. I'll be playing rockabilly, psychobilly,
outlaw country, 50s rock & roll and the best of the modern rock & roll revival.


Here's a smooth operator who needs no
introduction, but I'm gonna introduce him
anyway. He's a tavelin' mana teen age idol
from lonesome town. He's Ricky Nelson...
and this week in 1958 his latest single was
climbing the chart on its way to the top 20.
It's the song on the B side of his smash hit
"Stood Up." Ricky's record follows the
same story line as "School Day," a
Chuck Berry hit the previous year.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

Our boy Ricky's startin' to feel like a poor little fool,
'cause it's late and he's sick and tired of-- "Waitin' In School!"


"Waitin' In School" - Ricky Nelson
(Jan./Feb. 1958, highest chart pos. #6 Cash Box,
#18 Hot 100B side of "Stood Up")


From the early weeks of 1958, Ricky Nelson
is "Waitin' In School" for the dang bell to ring,
a song written by Johnny and Dorsey Burnette. 

Now here are three pretty little ladies recruited by
Shady as new members of his Shady Bunch deejay
crew. They're the stars of Good Girls Revolt, an
Amazon Video TV series that's been called the
female version of Mad Men. Let's give a warm
welcome to Patti Robinson, Cindy Reston and
Jane Hollander! Take it away Good Girls!

Thank you Hepcat Black, and hello everyone!



My name is Patti. I'm a go-getter. I believe in
free love, partying hard and shaking up the
establishment. Jane, Cindy and I welcome
this opportunity to take our rightful places
alongside The Shady Bunch men and prove
ourselves as radio announcers. Our show is
called Libbin' It Up With The Good Girls
featuring the great sounds of the mid to late
60s, the revolutionary period in music and
pop culture that produced the fabled
Summer of Love and Woodstock.

Scottish folk rocker Donovan is responsible for some of the grooviest
sounds of the era. Donovan wrote the song "Hurdy Gurdy Man" in India
where he was studying Transcendental Meditation with the Beatles.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

Released as a single in the spring of 1968, "Hurdy Gurdy Man" reached
the top 5 on both sides of the Atlantic. Singing one of his greatest and most
memorable songs of love, here now is Donovan with-- "Hurdy Gurdy Man!"


"Hurdy Gurdy Man" - Donovan
(July/Aug. 1968, highest chart pos.
#3 Cash Box/#5 Hot 100)





Hi, I'm Cindy, pleased to meet you. I am polite,
soft-spoken and mild-mannered, but I am also
a newly empowered woman who has finally
gained confidence and found her voice at
 the microphone here on S-P-M-M Radio.
Sunshine pop, the feel good music of the
mid to late 60s, is one of the categories
you can expect us to play on our show
Libbin' It Up. One of the most popular bands of the genre started out as a
California surf-rock group
called The Crossfires.

START VIDEO NOW!

They found success when they changed their name to The Turtles and
switched to folk-rock and psychedelic pop. Here's their biggest hit,
a record that bumped the Beatles "Penny Lane" from the top
of the chart in 1967. The Turtles-- "Happy Together!"


"Happy Together" - The Turtles
(Mar./Apr. 1967, highest chart pos.
#1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)





I'm Jane, a society girl turned serious career woman
as a member of The Shady Bunch here at S-P-M-M
Radio. I'm sick & tired of being nothing more than
eye candy, a trophy on a man's arm. I know I've
got what it takes to be a great DJ. I promise I
won't let you (or myself) down. One of the
most distinctive sounds on the radio at the
end of 1969 was a song written and first
 recorded by Laura Nyro. The song became
a hit for the soulful LA-based rock trio
Three Dog Night. A favorite tune of high
school marching bands in the decades
that followed, here's 3-Dog's
top 10 single-- "Eli's Comin'."


CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!


"Eli's Coming" - Three Dog Night
(Nov/Dec. 1969, highest chart pos. #8 Cash Box/#10 Hot 100)

That's all from us for now.


Please joins us for Libbin' it Up with The Good Girls, our first full show
coming soon to S-P-M-M Radio. Now here's one of the boss jocks
at one of the most popular radio stations on the west coast or
anywhere else in the country for that matter. Here he is,
from Boss Radio 93 KHJ-- Robert W. Morgan!


Thank you Good Girls Patti, Cindy and Jane,
and good Morgan to you! I'm Robert W. Morgan
here on loan from KHJ Boss Angeles, moon-
lighting on S-P-M-M as a new member of
The Shady Bunch. I'm on a mission to
Morganize you by playing the greatest
AM radio hits of the 60s with a focus
on the laid back, fun-in-the-sun
sounds of Southern California.

START VIDEO NOW!

No one does it better than The Beach Boys.
This song reached the top 10 during the holiday
season in '64 and was still going strong at
the start of  '65-- "Dance, Dance, Dance!"


"Dance, Dance, Dance" - The Beach Boys
(Nov./Dec. 1964, highest chart pos. #8 Hot 100/#10 Cash Box)

From Christmas 1964, The Beach Boys there with "Dance, Dance, Dance,"
a single that needed to plow through a log jam of British invasion records
to crack the top 10 on the national chart. In early March of '65 the
song was released on the album The Beach Boys Today!

That does it for me. Now here's my good friend, a guy who does his
thing on the east coast while I am doing my thing on the west coast.
He's the pride of "Quixie in Dixie" - WQXI, Atlanta-- Dr. Don Rose!



Thank you, Robert W. Heavens to Betsy...
you got me Morganized after just one song!
Dr. Donald D. Rosey good morning to you,
folks! This Rose is tickled pink to be part
of The Shady Bunch here on S-P-M-M...
the station that's #1 for music and fun.
I'm sitting at the mic with my pet cow
Lulu-Belle (MOOOOO!) Like my buddy
Robert W., I'll be bringing you the cream
of the crop, the best 60s music on your
AM dial. Try this one on for size. It's
lovely Lesley Gore with a song from
her late 1963 album Lesley Gore
Sings of Mixed-Up Hearts.


CLICK TO START VIDEO NOW!

As a single it climbed the chart during the Christmas season
of '63 and landed in the top 5. Give lovely Lesley's lilting
lament a listen-- "She's A Fool!"


"She's A Fool" - Lesley Gore
(Nov./Dec. 1963, highest chart pos. #5 Hot 100/#6 Cash Box)

S-P-M-M Radio by way of "Quixie in Dixie" - that was Lesley Gore with
"She's A Fool." That'll do it for me, Dr. D, and Lulu-Belle (MOOOOO!)
To wrap up our New Year spectacular, here's a guy who's nobody's fool.
He's that fugitive from the Shady Dell still searching for the one armed
man who stole his youth, the host of Jukebox Giants-- Dell Rat Tom!




Thank you very much, Dr. Don Rose! I remember you
on WFIL in Philadelphia and on TV as the host of
Speed Racer and other cartoon shows on WKBS
channel 44. It's great having you as a new member
of The Shady Bunch. I'm looking forward to your
first show here on S-P-M-M... the station with
personality.  My first spin of the new year is
too cool for school, a seldom heard alternate
version of the song ranked #68 on my list
of The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

Retrosonic Radio in Futuresonic Stereo Surround - Michigan
garage rockers Question Mark and the Mysterians with their
chart-topper, a number everybody knows-- "96 Tears!"


“96 Tears” (alternate stereo version)
(?) Question Mark & the Mysterians
(Sept./Oct. 1966, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)



A super cool alternative version of "96 Tears"
in stereo here on S-P-M-M... where all the cool
oldies come to play. That does it for our 2-part
New Year's Spectacular. Now for Hy Lit, Hepcat
Black, The Good Girls - Patti, Cindy and Jane -
Robert W. Morgan, Dr. Don Rose and the entire
Shady Bunch deejay staff, I'm Dell Rat Tom.
Thanks for being here, and once again...

 HAPPY 
 NEW YEAR! 

32 comments:

  1. Winter greetings from my fire place to yours, friend Shady. And Thunderbutt says to dat fierce black cat: "Settle down, lil cat!" (Just like my son says to me, whenever I ever I get my shirt in a knot about something: "Settle down, lil white horse!") … and now if you'll excuse me cuz I have to get back to the music:) Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … and … ehem … (cat clearing throat) … About "Paloma" … u missed the point a bit but dat okay:)… and "Homework" is a sarcastic version of the original one … just that you know:) Love, cat.

      Delete
    2. Hi, cat!

      Thanks for being the early bird and bringing winter greetings down from snowy Alberta, dear friend! It's always nice to see you. I'm happy to know that your kitty, Theo Thunderbutt, is a Shady's Place follower and that one of my newest deejays, Hepcat Black, caught his attention. Hepcat might look fierce, but he's merely excited about the old time rock 'n' roll and rockabilly tunes he has in store for you and Theo this year.

      I don't understand what you are telling me in part two of your comment. Something got lost in translation, I think, but that's okay. We both speak the universal language of lubbins. :)

      Thanks again for being here for Part 2 of my New Year spectacular, dear friend cat!

      Delete
  2. I knew half of those. Are those three young ladies also in a band not featured?
    And not messing with Hepcat Black for anything.
    Happy New Year, Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for coming over early, good buddy, and happy new year to you! I am thankful to have you with me as I begin another calendar year of blogging. (I'll be pubbing a feature one week from today that I'm sure you'll remember and enjoy.)

      Good Girls Revolt is a TV series. The three actresses are not in a band of their own. Genevieve Angelson (Patti Robinson) was introduced this season on the superhero TV series Titans based on the DC Comics team Teen Titans. Erin Darke (Cindy Reston) had a recurring role on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and is currently in the main cast of the dark comedy TV series Dietland. Anna Camp (Jane Hollander) is currently starring in the TV sitcom Perfect Harmony opposite Bradley Whitford.

      Hepcat Black's a spunky kitty and looks like he's a biter and scratcher, but he's gentle as a lamb.

      Thanks again for dropping by, good buddy Alex, and have a super 2020!

      Delete
  3. I won't say I dislike the Beach Boys and can certainly sing along with many of their songs, but... they were never my favorite. Tops for me today are Happy Together and 96 Tears!

    Happy New Year to you and all the folks at Shady's Place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for popping in for Part 2 of my New Year special, dear friend!

      It's always interesting to learn the likes and dislikes of friends. It surprises me to find someone who isn't wild about The Beach Boys. If I had to choose a favorite artist in the surf rock/hot rod genre, I'd pick Jan And Dean over The Beach Boys, but the B-Boys' later 60s output, their innovative symphonic recordings beginning with "Good Vibes," are in a class of their own, in my opinion.

      I'm happy to learn that the "tops in pops" in this batch, as far as you are concerned, are the smash hit by The Turtles and the garage punk anthem "96 Tears." How about that alternate version of the song in stereo? That Dell Rat Tom really knows how to pick 'em. :)

      Happy New year to you, dear friend, from the whole gang at Shady's Place. Stick around for full shows of Hepcat Black and his Pink Cadillac, Libbin' It Up with The Good Girls, Robert W's Get Morganized and Dr. Don's Rose-Colored Glasses, all coming you way in 2020. Thanks for joining the fun, Kelly, and have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, dear friends! I love Hepcat, he's my new favourite announcer. ;) You selected my favourite songs and you had me grooving. I'm hoping this grooving to a new set of songs will help kick my cold. Music tends to do that. :)

    Until then, I'll cry my 96 tears because that will definitely get the mucus packing. Have a great day, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Happy new year to you, dear friend, and thanks for coming over to experience Part 2 of my 2020 new year salivation!

      As you might recall, Hepcat Black first appeared in a post around Halloween 2018:

      https://tctgyb.blogspot.com/2018/10/hepcat-black-presents-collins-connection.html

      Reader response to Hepcat was so good that I chose to make him a regular member of the DJ staff and give him his own radio show starting this year. I'm glad he's your favorite.

      I'm sorry you have a cold. You are the second northern friend I have been in touch with today that informed me they are battling a cold. It is delightfully cooler here and I have the window open to get some much needed fresh air into the house.

      I do hope this song set helps you recover more quickly. Take care, try to have a good week, and thanks again for coming by, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. I tend to have bad anxiety at night when I'm sick. This may be my calm down playlist tonight, especially since I have to go back to my FT job tomorrow.

      Oh yeah! I'm so glad he's back!

      Have a great Sunday, dear friend.

      Delete
    3. Oldies soothe the soul. Start with Hy's pick - "A Quiet Place" by Garnet Mimms.

      Delete
    4. Hi Shady,

      I've been very sick and sleeping a lot. I'm feeling sort of better and I'll check out that song tonight.

      Delete
    5. My goodness, Jessica, I'm so sorry you are "poorly" again. Is it the same cold you had before? Get well soon, dear friend. I hope "A Quiet Place" soothes you.

      Delete
  5. Great selection today. Caught Andy Griffith in that opening montage. It went by too fast for me to catch what record he was buying, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was his own "What That Was, Was Football", a best-selling comedy record in its day.

    Was that older fellow tuning the odd-looking guitar Donovan in his now-golden years?

    Absolutely love "Happy Together". I believe the guy at the mike and hefty dude to the left of him wearing glasses went later went by the names Flo & Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for reporting in on day one, good buddy. I'm happy to see you!

      Good eye, Kirk. I was wondering who would be first to mention seeing Andy Griffith in that Garnet Mimms video. "Andy of Mayberry" appears to be standing in a record store or music shop holding a couple of Romeo And Juliet albums and a single. Turns out Andy was quite musical. Wiki sez: << He attended the University of North Carolina (UNC) in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and graduated with a Bachelor of Music degree in 1949. After graduation, he taught music and drama for a few years at Goldsboro High School in Goldsboro, North Carolina. >> The 45 he's holding has to be his hit single, the monologue you mentioned "What It Was, Was Football," which made the top 10 early in 1954. I remember the record well, and Andy recited it in an appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. I also enjoyed Andy (along with future TV series co-star Don Knotts) in the movie No Time for Sergeants which inspired the character and hit TV series Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. I also enjoyed Andy G in the 1957 dramatic film A Face in the Crowd.

      You ask toughies, Kirk. I don't know who that hurdy gurdy man is in the video. I would like to think it isn't Donovan. By the way, be sure to catch Donovan's son starring in the groovy, nostalgic high school musical film The "In" Crowd. It's my pick as best of the genre.

      Yes, Turtles founders Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan later performed as Flo ("Phlorescent Leech") and Eddie. Watching those guys perform reminds us Boomers how lucky we were to be teenage in the 60s.

      Thanks for visiting and for your usual excellent comments, good buddy Kirk. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  6. Gee, I think I was just here a few hours ago! Great to be back Dell Rat Tom and I know I'll enjoy these DJ's and their tunes. I think I'll enjoy Libbin' it up with the Good Girls the most. But I found I really knew almost all these songs and loved the Beach Boys number that gets you up and dancing no matter your age. I often wonder if all those artists that headed to India for some mind opening experiences really did get a spiritual high or just a plain old "high"?! No matter, the songs are classic and I'll enjoy checking in and learning more about the time of my youth. I hope you have a groovy week and thanks so much for the link to Tarpon Springs. It's been a long time since I've been there and I know I will love to go back. It's on my list of things to do this year...or next! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      How's your cold, dear friend? I hope you are feeling better by the hour. Thanks for coming back so soon to sample the kinds of sounds you will hear throughout the year on S-P-M-M Retrosonic Radio as my staff of deejays, the old and the new, take their places behind the mic here at Shady's Place studios. I'm thrilled that you like the three independent young women from Good Girls Revolt who are determined prove themselves as radio personalities on their show Libbin' It Up. For some reason the style of music presented by the Good Girls and Shady Green is the kind most often remixed, remastered and restored by YouTube producers, offering a bounty of great material for those two shows in particular. Doo-wop, soul and R&B, the styles of music played by Jerry Blavat, Hy Lit and Dell Rat Tom, tend to be neglected, but I was excited to find that great Garnet Mimms song/video for Hy Lit to play. If you watch that "Quiet Place" video along with the one for the Beach Boys' "Dance Dance Dance" and the Lesley Gore video, you will see many rare, seldom seen images including vintage photos and album art. In the last few years, YouTubers have been doing a tremendous job keeping the memories alive by putting together videos like these.

      You might be right about your "spiritual high" or plain old "high" observation, at least in some cases. As you might recall, in referring to my college experience, I often state that I attended "an institution of high and yearning." :)

      Yessum, the traditional dive for the cross is a sight to see. They show it on the local news down here every year. It has been quite chilly in our part of Florida for a couple of days now and the Tarpon Springs temp is predicted to dip to 43 overnight. The boys will really be feeling that cold water when they take the plunge tomorrow morning. The sponge docks and Greek restaurants are something I know you and Jack will enjoy.

      Thanks again and have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

      Delete
  7. Hey there Shady! That cat is kinda scary to me. Not sure I'd like to be too close to it. My hubby occasionally comes in singing the Turtles' Happy Together song. After 35 years together it is nice to know he still feels that way :) Dr. Don Rose was on my local KFRC for a while too! Thanks for the tunes today. Hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      How are you, dear friend? Thanks for coming over on your Sunday to meet the remaining six new members of The Shady Bunch DJ squad along with returning veterans Hy Lit and Dell Rat Tom.

      I promise you that Hepcat Black doesn't bite or scratch. He has that wildcat look on his face simply because he's excited to bring you the great sounds of rockabilly, early rock 'n' roll and the modern rock 'n' roll revival. Thanks for sharing that your hubby serenades you with "Happy Together." That so sweet! 35 years together? That's the equivalent of 100 Hollywood marriages laid end to end. :) I'm glad we share memories of Dr. Donald D Rose. Wiki sez: << With Rose as morning anchor, KFRC was voted "Station of the Year" four times by Billboard Magazine. He was considered by many to be the king of radio in the Bay Area during the final decade of AM's musical hegemony. He was named by Billboard Magazine as Disc Jockey of the Year on both the East Coast (while with WFIL Philadelphia) and on the West Coast (while with KFRC San Francisco). >>

      I'm glad you enjoyed the song lineup in today's special. Thanks again for dropping in and have a super week, dear friend Janet!

      Delete
  8. Tom,

    Happy New Year to you, my friend! Your opening of 'Good girls go to heaven. Bad girls go everywhere' cracked me up this morning. As usual, your mewsic picks didn't fail to disappoint. You pulled together some familiar tunes for my ears to enjoy. The Three Dog Night always make me think of my Uncle Roger Dale. He was my buddy when I was little and happened to be the mischievous of my uncles. He gave my poor ole grandma a lot of grief but she kept him in his place. lol I always liked Lesley Gore as a kid. I guess her song, 'It's My Party' that introduced me to the singer. '96 Tears' sounds a wee familiar but the artist Question Mark and the Mysterians doesn't ring a bell at all. After I get done here, I'm going to sample more of their tunes to see if a light goes on in the attic. :) It was great fun groovin' to your tunes this morning. Have a boogietastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for coming over to boogie down with Shady Bunch radio personalities old and new, dear friend!

      I guarantee that the spunky sirens from the TV series Good Girls Revolt will keep you entertained with their selection of classic rock and sunshine pop. That Three Dog Night clip is a wonderful find. I just came across it a few weeks ago and decided to plug it into the lineup to start the year. Mrs. Shady's daughter was in the color guard in high school. I remember her and her school's marching band performing "Eli's Coming" during a football game halftime show. Thanks for sharing memories of your mischievous uncle Roger Dale who was your best buddy as a child. I think everybody can pick a favorite aunt and uncle in their family. "96 Tears" is the biggest hit and signature song of Question Mark And the Mysterians. If you don't know that song, you probably won't recognize their lesser known recordings. The alternate version of "96 Tears" played by Dell Rat Tom sounds significantly different from the hit single that was played on the radio in 1966. It's another rare find, a lost relic, and I thank good buddy Tom for digging it up for us. :)

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Cathy, and have a tunetastic, boogietastic week!

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year, Tom! I have to confess, in addition to being overwhelmingly busy, the end of the year was a down time for me, so much as I hate it, I didn't do a lot of blog reading. And, in truth, I'm only on your page for a brief moment before I rush out the door to get started on magazine distribution for this month! But I did want to take some time to wish you well in this new year! I hope the holidays were wonderful for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ashton!

      I am delighted to see you, my dear friend of longevity! Just think. You and I spent the entire decade of the 2010s as friends and here we are still keeping in touch in 2020. That's wonderful and I appreciate it!

      Mrs. Shady and I were busy over the holidays, too, and we still are as we prepare to move across the state three weeks from now. I will be taking a three week break from blogging during that time. I hope you, your husband and little girl had a wonderful holiday period albeit a busy one.

      Thank you again for thinking of me and for your friendship and support through the years. Happy New Year! I wish you and your family all the best in 2020, dear Ashton!

      Delete
  10. hello Mr. Shady! You have a huge move happening right now and that is stressful and daunting so i thank you for all these great tunes especially since many came out in 1964, the year I was born. I love that Ricky nelson song which I never heard before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Unknown!

      May I assume you are the same "Unknown" who commented on an earlier post? Regardless, I am grateful for your interest, my new friend, and I thank you for dropping by!

      I'm glad you appreciate hearing songs from 1964, the year you were born. My source states that "Baby Boomers" were born between the years 1944 and 1964, and that means you qualify as a Boomer. :)

      I'm happy to introduce you to that song by Ricky Nelson released on a "double-sider" single, meaning that both songs on the record became chart hits. The mark of a great artist is when they have grade-A songs to "waste" as B sides.

      Thank you again for your kind visit and comment, Unknown. Have a super week and I hope to see you again soon. You are always welcome here at Shady's Place.

      Delete
    2. Ughh..it’s me Birgit. I had trouble at work with leaving comments etc,., it’s all fixed now

      Delete
  11. It has been one jam-packed end of the year, and the beginning isn't much less packed. Had to stop by and say hello and listen to some tunes from the past though. Always have time for that bit of nostalgia! Besides, It's My Party and I'll do whatever I want to!

    Happy and wonderful 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl-Lee!

      Thanks for stopping by to share new year greetings, dear friend, and happy 2020 to you!

      I hope the tunes played by my SPMM deejays, the new ones and the returning vets, put some bounce in your step. I'm happy to know you enjoy the dose of nostalgia offered at Shady's Place.

      Thanks again for your visit and comment and have a wonderful year, dear friend Cheryl-Lee!

      Delete
  12. Well, I guess you've closed up shop on this one, but I have been under the weather for about a week now. Down on my hip, and can't sit in chair very long. It's gotten better and I made it over here a while ago.

    It's nice to meet your DJ staff, Dell Rat Tom. I don't remember names well, but I'll remember their faces. Really cool lineup today. I love Donovan's voice, and remember some of his songs. I like "Hurdy Gurdy Man", but it doesn't make a lot of sense-just good singing! And, there were some very different instruments in the video. The Turtles "Happy Together" video would not play-a message said it is unavailable. But, that's okay, I truly love the song, and can sing it word for word, still! All of this music presented is really great! The Good Girls are so cute, and did an upstanding job as DJs.

    My first fave on this post is Three Dog Night. Why do you all insist on playing songs that I have to say are my favorites! I have thousands of favorite songs, and "Eli" is one of them. I had the pleasure of seeing 3 Dog in Kansas back in the late 60's "TWICE". They are quite the cool act on stage-never a dull moment with these guys. Thanks!

    Ricky Nelson "Waitin in School" is cool. This fast moving song was fun to listen to and sing, haha! We knew all of the words. The Beach Boys "Dance Dance Dance" was a cute song and I appreciated the colorful video showing the words.

    Fave #2 Leslie Gore with "She's a Fool". This song is so good, it can bring you to tears. Who better to sing it but Leslie Gore, with her perfect voice! I love this dramatic song and the way Leslie seamlessly drifts into the various key changes.

    So...you guys, and Good Girls! Good show, and what a cool futuresonic version of 96 Tears!

    I apologize for being this late, please don't throw the rubber chicken at me. I hope all is well, Shady and you are moving right along with your move. We had large snow flurries this morning-quarter size snowflakes! For sure! It lasted about 45 minutes, and I loved it.

    Take care dear friend. Thank you for your hard work and fun posts! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      I'm happy to find this comment from you, dear friend, but sad to learn you've been "poorly" for the last week. Gosh, that's no way to start the year! I know from experience how painful a bum hip can be. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery, dear friend. I knew from your long absence that something was amiss and I was getting ready to email you and ask.

      I'm pleased that you enjoyed meeting the entire crop of EIGHT new SPMM deejays in the class of 2020. Thanks for letting me know that The Turtles video was removed. That happens a lot on YouTube. I went ahead and found another video of the group performing "Happy Together" and inserted it into the post if you'd like to watch it.

      Set in 1969, Good Girls Revolt, not to be confused with the current dramedy The Good Girls, was an excellent TV series that Mrs. Shady and I watched and highly recommend. It only lasted one season, ten episodes, but the three female lead characters made such an impression on me that I decided to give them jobs as SPMM radio personalities and have them play the sounds of the period.

      Isn't that Three Dog Night video wonderful? It's thrilling to watch and listen to the soulful trio sing that hit. I'm happy to know that "Eli's Comin'" is one of your favorites. How lucky you were to have seen Three Dog Night in two different live shows in the late 60s! I am elated to know you also enjoyed the songs by Ricky, The Beach Boys and Lesley Gore. This post was loaded with gems, if I do say so myself, and I am very happy to be finding restored and remastered videos of songs like these for your viewing and listening pleasure.

      Did Scootie like those large snowflakes? I surely would have. Tomorrow we are heading across the state yet again with a fully loaded car as we continue the DIY portion of our move. I have a new post starting tomorrow morning and it will be published before we hit the road. I hope you enjoy it.

      Thank you again for being such a great and cool friend, Suzanne. It makes me very happy to entertain you. I hope you feel better by the hour. Come and see me tomorrow if you can, but keep in mind that I will be away most of the day traveling across the state. I'll check in tomorrow late afternoon or evening when we reach our destination.

      Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Suzanne!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind