INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Friday, March 6, 2020

That Was Then - This Is Now, Volume 5: The Jarring
Juxtaposition of Female Vocalists Past and Present!

 You've come a long way, baby... 


 and these jarring juxtapositions 

 offer indisputable proof! 

Welcome to Vol. 5 of my series

Jarring Juxtapositions:

That Was Then -
This Is Now!

It is not my intention to pass judgement. (That's your job. :) This series
merely invites you to compare apples and oranges. Hard as it might
be for you to believe, I enjoy all of the female recording artists
you are about to see and hear. Join me on this jarring journey
back and forth through time as we compare the look,
the sound and the attitude of female singers
then... and now!

THAT WAS THEN
LESLEY GORE


The soundtrack of nearly every boomer's
youth is loaded with the sweet sounds
of Lesley Gore and her 1960s pop hits.
Lesley arrived on the music scene in
1963 and scored four top 5 singles in
a row. Her first record, "It's My Party,"
went all the way to #1, In the custom
made video you are about to watch,
Lesley is literally beside herself as
she performs "It's My Party" on two
different TV shows at the same time - 
Hollywood A Go-Go and Shindig!
Then stay tuned at the 2:08 mark
as she appears again on Shindig
singing "Judy's Turn To Cry."


"It's My Party"/"Judy's Turn To Cry" - Lesley Gore
(perf. on Hollywood A Go-Go and Shindig!)




THIS IS NOW
 IN THIS MOMENT 


Back to the future present we go. Can you feel
the burn simply by looking at this fiery image?
If not, trust me, you soon will when you feast
your eyes and ears on America's millennial
sweetheart, Maria "take me to the" Brink,
and her heavy metal madmen, the LA-
based band In This Moment. In this
incendiary 2016 live performance in
Tokyo, Maria turned up the heat and
roared like a blast furnace as she and
her ITM beasts did "Burn," a song
from the band's 2012 album Blood.
BURN, BABY, BURN!

"Burn" - In This Moment
(from Aug. 2012 album Blood, live perf.
Sept. 2016 Zepp Tokyo - Koto, Japan)

START VIDEO
AT 1:45 MARK!




THAT WAS THEN
JANET LENNON
AND BRIAN SIEBMAN


Janet Lennon and her group of singing siblings The Lennon Sisters appear
often in this series because they personified innocence that is long long lost.
In this scene from a 1958 episode of The Lawrence Welk Show, "lil Chanet"
(as Lawrence called her) plays doctor in a very wholesome manner
with series junior cast member Brian Siebman.

"Let The Worry Bird Worry For You" - Janet Lennon & Brian Siebman
(live perf. on a 1958 episode of The Lawrence Welk Show)





THIS IS NOW
 THE 
 PRETTY 
 RECKLESS 

Very similar to Janet Lennon (NOT!!!)
is this next young lady. She played
the role of Cindy Lou Who in the
Jim Carrey movie Dr. Seuss'
How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
She was Gretel in the film Hansel
and Gretel and Jenny on the TV
series Gossip Girl. She is also a
successful model and cover girl.




 As if all that weren't enough, she is one of the hottest women
on the rock scene. Taylor Momsen's her name. Shaking up the
establishment's her game. Since 2009 Taylor has been making
her mark as a songwriter and as the lead singer and rhythm
guitarist of the alt-rock band The Pretty Reckless.



In 2014, the band's 2nd studio album
Going To Hell made its debut at #5 on
the B-200, their first top 10 hit album. Hell topped the U.S. Hard Rock chart
and the UK Indie and Rock Albums
surveys. "Messed Up World," the
3rd single released from the album,
followed "Heaven Knows" to the
top of the Mainstream Rock chart,
making The Pretty Reckless the
second female-fronted band to
achieve back-to-back #1 hits,
the first being Chrissie Hynde
and The Pretenders.


Taylor Momsen is the real deal - mature beyond her years.
Taylor wrote or co-wrote every song on Going To Hell. As you
are about to hear, she possesses one of the greatest and most
robust voices of any female rocker past or present. Listen!

WARNING: ALTHOUGH IT IS THE "CLEAN" VERSION,
THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CONTAINS BRIEF NUDITY,
 ADULT LANGUAGE AND SITUATIONS.

"Messed Up World" - The Pretty Reckless 
(highest chart pos. #1 Mainstream Rock,
from Mar. 2014 album Going To Hell)




THAT WAS THEN
PATTI PAGE

She was proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
and I'm sure pop and country singer Patti
Page was also proud to be listed as the
top charting and best selling female
 recording artist of the 1950s until
Connie Francis came along late in
 the decade. At Christmas 1952, Patti
waxed "The Doggie In The Window,"
a song better known as "How Much
Is That Doggie In The Window?"
Released at the start of '53, Patti's
puppy platter hit #1 and sold more
than two million copies. My folks
bought the record and it is one of
my earliest music memories. Few songs
recall the blissful innocence of  the 50s
as well as this one. Repeat after me:
"Gangsta rap was still light years away!"

"The Doggie In The Window" - Patti Page
(Feb. thru Apr. 1953, highest chart pos. #1)





THIS IS NOW
 JESSIE AND THE TOY BOYS 

NEARLY IDENTICAL to Patti Page
 (you can't tell them apart) is electro-
popper Jessica Eden Malakouti. This
artist has released records as Eden xo
and as Jessie And The Toy Boys. This
zinger, by any other name, sounds the
same... good and nasty. Exhibit A is
a 2011 single in which Jessie and her
imaginary band shamelessly promote
premarital smooching & hand holding,
a delightfully dirty ditty entitled
"Let's Get Physical Naughty."

"Let's Get Naughty"
Jessie And The Toy Boys
(Oct./Nov. 2011, highest
chart pos. #19 U.S. Dance)




I read in the papers there are robbers

With flashlights that shine in the dark

My love needs a doggie to protect him

And scare them away with one bark


Have a Shady day!

23 comments:

  1. What a difference, huh? Yes sex sells, but the lengths some people go to sell it. Back in the day, Lita Ford was hot, but never slutty. Brittany Spears has done worse things on stage than Lita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for being the early bird again this time, good buddy!

      I remember Lita Ford. At the MTV station where I worked in the 80s and 90s, the veejay ran her videos often on his late night Headbangers Ball style hard rock & heavy metal segment. We also promoted her show when she came to town to perform at a local venue.

      Taylor Momsen and Jessie (Eden xo) shamelessly and unapologetically put it out there, right in your face, possibly drawing inspiration from Britney Spears' act. Maria Brink is in a class by herself. She and her band put on an elaborate stage show, an awesome spectacle that takes musical theater to the next level.

      I wonder what Lawrence Welk would say about the three "THIS IS NOW" acts. :)

      Thanks again for coming early, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  2. I'm no prude and you know I possibly have the most eclectic musical taste of all your buddies here, Shady, but I'll stick with the "thens" rather than the "nows". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      How are you, dear friend? How's my buddy Pat? Thanks for coming!

      WHAT??? You like the "thens" better than the "nows"? I'm shocked! :) Be sure to play "Doggie In The Window" for your canine family and see if they react to the sound effect of the puppy barking in the song.

      Thanks again for stopping by, dear friend Kelly, and have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid Pat was unimpressed. 😂

      Delete
    3. :) I hope to reel Pat (and you) back in with my next post. Until then have a wonderful weekend, Kelly!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shady! The Lennon Sisters were a favorite of mine on the Lawrence Welk show. You know, he had is debut appearance/show in Mineral Wells, Texas at the old, now abandoned and haunted "Baker Hotel". Mineral Wells, is about maybe 45 miles west of Fort Worth. I did a blog post on Kardkorner one Halloween about it. It has been abandoned for years, with various folks considering purchase and restoration. It was a lovely place.
    Anyway, to get back to the Lennon Sisters, they are all pretty and so talented. The video and song with Janet is very cute. I didn't remember that particular show.
    Mr. Welk mentioned the new 1959 Plymouth, but didn't show it, haha! My parents were Plymouth people, and I actually drove a couple myself! I miss Plymouth, but do like Dodge (it's still in the Plymouth family)!

    I'm afraid I couldn't get into Jessie and the Toy Boys! My mind wandered as it played, but I think I would enjoy it more without the visuals! Haha! And the "Burn" video was pretty wild. She reminded me of Grace Slick who could have performed like her in the 60's.

    Leslie Gore was so talented, and cute. It was sad to lose her so soon. It's funny though, how some of the female singers barely moved on stage in the earlier 60's, but the go-go dancers went nuts in the background. It was good to see her perform any time. And, I am pretty sure us ladies don't visit the pet stores wearing mink stoles and hats these days, just kidding. Patti Page was another wonderful talent, and I know you were kidding about Jessie and Patti being nearly identical! Another, NOT!

    Well, Shady your Juxtaposition is Juxtahit in my book! It's fun to see the ladies from then, and meet the ladies of now! Thank you for your hard, but, fun work putting this post together.

    Scootie and I are on the road to San Antonio Monday morning. We can only stay a couple of days, but it's time for us to take a break and see the Alamo! He's pretty excited, and I'm ready to leave this place behind for a few days. Thank you for your friendship, and have a very nice weekend, dear Shady! ♫


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      I'm late replying to your comments this evening because the family just finished watching the movie Yesterday which takes the viewer through the looking glass into a world where The Beatles and their many great songs never existed. Mrs. Shady and I saw the film a couple of months ago and we ran it again tonight so that her son could watch it. The movie is wonderful and if you haven't seen it yet we highly recommend it. Actress Lily James, who played Lady Rose on Downton Abbey, absolutely shines in her co-starring role.

      Thanks for touching on all the artists presented in this edition of my Bloggy Award winning series That Was Then - This Is Now. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the innocent song performed on The Lawrence Welk Show by "lil Chanet" and Brian Siebman. "Gangsta rap was still light years away." Thanks for the back story about Welk appearing at the now haunted Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells. It sounds like someone could make money off the old place by selling tickets to tour it and hunt for ghosts.

      We were a Plymouth family, too. I'll never forget the flashy yellow Plymouth Satellite my dad bought in 1967. I used to drive it to work at the potato chip factory. On the way there and back I played the radio loud and laid rubber every chance I got. :)

      Maria Brink is my favorite female rock artist, and I emphasize the word "artist" because she is just that. Her elaborately costumed, choreographed and pyrotechnic performances are works of art. She and her ITM band ruled the 2010s and this live performance of "Burn" in Tokyo shows why. An awesome spectacle is guaranteed whenever Maria and her beasts take the stage.

      Yessum, it is a shame Lesley Gore died young. I agree that most female teen pop singers were very subdued as they performed, with little in the way of movement or gesticulation. "Lady like" manners were still important back then. I'll bet Patti Page wore that mink stole to vacuum her carpets and clean the toilet bowl. :)

      I wish you and Scootie a safe trip to San Antonio and back. It should be fun and educational for him to see the Alamo.

      next...

      Delete
  4. Oops! I forgot to mention Taylor Momsen, didn't I! She kind of has a Joan Jett growl, and I do like the "Messed Up World" song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning Taylor. She's the real deal, with a robust voice and a hardcore rocker's uncompromising attitude. A few years ago I bought The Pretty Reckless Going To Hell album. Every song is a gem of the genre. The music video you see here for "Messed Up World" is the "clean" version. The album contains the original version of the song which is entitled "F--ked Up World." If you're interested, the "director's cut" original uncensored version is available for viewing here:

      https://imvdb.com/video/the-pretty-reckless/fucked-up-world

      It's a good song that speaks the truth.

      Thanks again for swinging by, dear friend Suzanne, and have a safe and happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hi Shady. I'm just quickly stopping by to say I'll be AWOL for a bit as my sister is having some very serious health issues and I'm on my out to Chicago to help with Mom and be there for her. I took a quick look at your post and I'll just say I'll take the "then" over the "now"! You know me well enough to know I would! Take care. I'll be off of blogging for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks for stopping by, dear friend. I'm very sorry to learn that your sis is having serious health issues. I wish her a speedy and complete recovery and hope you have a safe trip out and back. Please take care of yourself, my treasured friend. I will keep your sister in my prayers.

      Delete
  6. This hibernating cat and her hibernating cat Thunderbutt can make good use of the "Then" selections, friend Shady … while the "Now" selections are fit to wake any hibernating mammal:) … So we are going with the "then" for now:)if that's alright with you:) https://youtu.be/OuIbTab6WUE Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat!

      Thanks for coming down to the lower 48 to experience Then vs Now, dear friend! I also appreciate the view from your windows up there showing how much snow is on the ground, porches and decks. That roaring fire on your computer screen had me fooled for a moment. :) I'm happy to know you and TT are up there hibernating, staying warm and cozy, and putting my tunes to good use. Like others who have commented, you seem to prefer the "then" group. As a sleep aid I recommend them :)... but when it's time to get woke, click on Maria, Taylor and Jessie.

      Thanks again for dropping by, dear friend cat!

      Delete
  7. Well, the only songs I really liked were the two by Leslie Gore. I didn't particularly dislike the 21st century songs, but just didn't find them all that remarkable. Even within the context of the early 1950s, I've never quite understood the appeal of "Doggie in the Window" which to me sounds like a kiddie song that adults obviously took quite seriously. At least the Janet Lennon song was sung by a child. Maybe if Page had performed the worry bird song instead it would have been a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for popping in on your Saturday, good buddy!

      Alas... "Team Then" gets another vote, making this exhibition match a lopsided affair. Please remember... no wagering.

      I agree about the Patti Page number. If you were ten years older you might remember how Stepford music variety TV shows were in the 50s. Everybody smiled all the time and the female pop singers that typically appeared on those programs dressed in ladylike styles and were quiet and soft spoken. Nobody made waves. Wanda Jackson was a spark plug, but I don't remember seeing her on the vanilla entertainment shows my parents made me watch. I can't imagine an artist like Janis Ian appearing on those placid programs either. It was verboten for an artist to hold up a mirror and force society to take a good hard look at its problems. Lenny Bruce did, but he wasn't invited on those shows either. Thank goodness The Smothers Brothers gave Janis Ian an early break by having her on their Comedy Hour, and square looking Mike Douglas was also pretty cool when it came to having edgy musical guests on his daytime show. Same with Dick Cavett and Tom Snyder on Tomorrow. The ditty "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" was about as innocent as you could get without a prescription. It did indeed seem like a song for children, but many adults (including my folks) bought it and turned it into a chart-topping hit. Gangsta rap was still light years away.

      Thanks again for making time for a visit, good buddy Kirk!

      Delete
  8. Hi Shady!

    Thanks for this playlist for International Women's Day! It's my party and I'll cry if I want to! :p I love the songs you used. Mom's away on business and I'm tending house, I'm exhausted and will have to give a full listen tomorrow.

    Have a great Sunday evening, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica Marie, and you, too!

      I didn't realize this was Int'l Women's Day. I hope you get some rest and return to listen to these songs tomorrow. The post will remain on the front page until Thursday.

      Have a great week, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. I might have to give it a listen tomorrow. I'm exhausted- gotta love Day Light Savings Time. UGH!

      Though, maybe it would wake me...

      Delete
    3. :) Get some rest, JM, and come back when you are refreshed and stoked for some exciting tuneage.

      Good night!

      Delete
  9. Tom,

    Nearly six or seven decades span from the yesterday and today's artist in this feature. I'd have to say as a group, I prefer the ladies from the past with their sweet innocence and milder tone. The modern girls are a bit too heavy tor my ears but then you already knew that. Little Cindy Lou grew up a lot! She doesn't sound anything like she did in the Dr. Seuss The Grinch That Stole Christmas. What an adorably sweet child she was with that angelic voice! I'm not too fond of how Janet Lennon sounds in this song but I'm willing to sample more of her stuff to know if my opinion stays the same. I really like that shared her in today's line-up as I often wonder what becomes of child stars. Totally interesting set of songs. Here's hoping your day isn't as jarring as these artists. Thanks for visiting and have a great week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Welcome back over, dear friend! I'm happy to see you here for this edition of my series That Was Then - This Is Now. As you discovered and mentioned, there certainly are some jarring juxtapositions in this volume.

      Before I forget, I want to mention the three GIFs at the top of the post. In case you don't recognize them, they are taken from the TV series The Playboy Club, the historical crime drama that starred Amber Heard as a Playboy Bunny. The show lasted only three episodes before NBC pulled the plug, much to the dismay of fans.

      Seems like you are very familiar with Taylor Momsen from her earlier years. Just today I saw a new video teaser that Taylor uploaded to her YouTube channel announcing the upcoming release of the band's new album. I'm excited to hear their latest songs and see the new music videos associated with them. Janet Lennon and her sisters have still been performing in recent years and Janet and sister Kathy manufacture and sell a line of dolls. Janet is on her second marriage and has 5 children. Peggy is on her second marriage and has 6 children. Kathy is on her second marriage and apparently does not have any kids. Interesting...

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Cathy. Enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  10. I listened yesterday and they are jarring juxtapositions! I've always loved Leslie Gore and In This Moment, but I really dug The Pretty Reckless's sound. I'll have to check them out some more .

    ReplyDelete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind