INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Friday, February 14, 2020

This Valentine's Day, Austin Powers Enquires...
"What's Old, Pussycat?"


 Allow myself to introduce.....myself. 


 I'm Austin Powers, super secret spy, 

 international man of mystery, 

 bon vivant, swinging playboy 

 and irresistible babe magnet. 

 London is my home, shag is my bag, 

 planet earth is my playground and 

 danger is my middle name, baby. 

Your regular host, Shady, couldn't make it here today. The chap's
home knitting a sweater from belly button lint. Riddle: What do
you call a hula hoop with a nail in it? Answer: a navel destroyer!


 That's a gag, dove... oh go on now, 
 I saw you crack a smile just then - YEAH! 

Shady has invited me back to host his annual Valentine's Day dance
and instructed me to spin records for your enjoyment. I've got a song
by a Welsh heartthrob plus an exciting lineup of Brit birds for you,
so prepare to meet the strapping gent from Wales and
greet my fine feathered female friends.

 TOM JONES 


I'm sure you remember Tom Jones crooning the hit theme from the
1965 Woody Allen - Peter Sellers comedy film "What's New Pussycat."
If you don't please listen. If you do... please listen.

"What's New Pussycat?" - Tom Jones
(July 1965, highest chart pos. #3, theme song
from June 1965 film What's New Pussycat?)




Nicely done, master Tom. That was "What's New Pussycat?" Well now,
I would like to enquire... "What's Old, Pussycat?" It's my way of getting
you stoked for stacks 'o vintage wax by a bevy of beauteous Brit birds.

 LESLEY 
 DUNCAN 

Lesley Duncan is best remembered for her 70s
work as a singer/songwriter. In the mid and late
60s, Lesley was a backing vocalist for Dusty
Springfield and the Walker Brothers.
At the same time Lesley wrote
and recorded her own songs.



One of Lesley's finest solo singles was
released at the height of Beatlemania.
Both songs on the slab, the A side,
"Tell Me," and the fab flip side,
"You Kissed Me Boy," were
written by Lesley and her
brother Jimmy. My Pick
to Click is the killer bee.

"You Kissed Me Boy"
Lesley Duncan (Feb. 1964,
B side of "Tell Me")




 BARBARA KAY 

Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, singer Barbara Kay fronted
show bands, became a session singer, signed with the Pye
record company and released singles of her own.


In the summer of 1965, Barbara released a version of "Yes I'm Ready"
covering the U.S. hit by Barbara Mason, a teenage soul singer from Philly.






Barbara Kay did a fine job with that
sweet love song, but I like the B side
even more. Listen as Barbara serves
a savory slice of Brit girl pop on the
pleasing platter "Someone Has To Cry."

"Someone Has To Cry (Why Must I)"
Barbara Kay (July 1965, B side
of "Yes I'm Ready")




 MARTHA SMITH 

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

John Lennon forgot to mention another phenomenon in Blackburn -
schoolmarm turned pop singer Martha Smith.


Martha landed a contract with Pye
and in February 1965 released one of
the great ballads of the Brit pop genre,
"As I Watch You Walk Away." I urge you
to listen to the entire drama-drenched
song which I think was deliberately
performed in a melodramatic, soap-
opera fashion. I smile and shake my
head in disbelief every time I
experience this recording.

"As I Watch You Walk Away"
Martha Smith (Feb./Mar. 1965)




 MAXINE 
 DARREN 
Manchester, England's Maxine Darren had powerful
pipes, waxed great songs written by Mitch Murray
and wore her hair in a trendy Ronettes style. None
of those factors brought the singer the success she
deserved. In 1965 Maxine released a fine double-
sider, "How Can I Hide It From My Heart" b/w
"Don't You Know." Here's the fabulous flip.

"Don't You Know" - Maxine Darren
(April/May 1965, B side of
"How Can I Hide It From My Heart")




 PETULA CLARK 

Beach Bloke Brian Wilson had his Pet Sounds, and I've got Pet sounds
of my own - two fantastic ditties warbled by English sparrow Petula Clark.


It took me 50+ years to discover this exciting recording by Pet, a cover of
"Dancing in the Street," the signature song of Martha and the Vandellas.
This fantastic dance floor filler is the lead track of Petula's hit
1965 U.S. album I Know a Place.

"Dancing in the Street" - Petula Clark
(from 1965 album I Know a Place)



In 1965 Chicano rocker Chris Montez, the fellow who had a hit in 1962 with
"Let's Dance," switched to easy listening and made a comeback with "Call Me."



Penned by UK composer Tony Hatch,
"Call Me" was first waxed by Pet Clark
and released on her 1965 EP of the
same name. The song is also found
on the above mentioned U.S. album
I Know a Place, issued in the UK as
The New Petula Clark Album. Let's
 have a listen to the original version
of "Call Me" by Miss Pet Clark!

"Call Me" - Petula Clark
(from Nov. 1965 EP Call Me
and I Know a Place aka
The New Petula Clark Album)




 I hope these super sounds put you in 

 a shagadelic mood, baby. Oh behave! 

 This is your old chum Austin Powers 

 international man of mystery 

 (and music history)... 

 saying ciao for now. 


 Let's do it again real soon, baby... 

 You know you want to... YEAH! 

22 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten Petula Clark did the original Dancing in the Streets. That almost wiped out the Bowie-Jagger one. (At least Van Halen's version was good.)
    Tom Jones left a legacy with that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for making it over in the morning hours to claim early bird honors again this week, good buddy!

      I'm pleased that you enjoyed hearing Petula Clark's seldom heard original of "Dancing In The Street," not to be confused with "Dancing In The Sheets" by Shalamar. :) I was excited to come across both of those great Pet Clark covers recently and decided to plug them in to Austin's V-day dance party lineup.

      Thanks again for coming, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the Petula Clark songs. She has a great sound. I always associate her with Downtown.

    We saw Tom Jones in Vegas decades ago. He put on a great show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for popping in early, dear friend! I'm happy to know you liked Austin Powers' Petula Clark offerings. "Downtown" is, of course, Pet's signature song and one of the biggest hits of the 20th century, but she waxed several other great hits and established a significant recording and movie career long before she became a star in the mid 60s.

      Lucky you getting to see Tom Jones live in Lost Wages! Did the women throw their undies at him? :)

      Thanks again for coming to the party, dear friend Kelly, and happy V-day to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. Hello my friend, are you all unpacked yet? I laughed at the Tom Jones cover by the pussycats. So cute. The only one of the ladies I knew was Petula Clark. Dancing in the Streets is a favorite of mine and I almost don't care who is singing it. Happy Valentine's Day to you and the Mrs.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      Thanks for swinging by for some music and laughs, dear friend! To answer your question, I am late replying to your comment (and late visiting Janet's Smiles) because every time I sit down at the keyboard Mrs. Shady hollers for me to come help her unpack more cartons, hang pictures and decoupage furniture we acuired at the Salvation Army store the other day. There is still much to do, but we are having fun building a nest at our new location.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the reel of kitty and kitten antics that was shown as Tom Jones crooned "What's New Pussycat," one of the most memorable songs of 1965. It doesn't surprise me that you don't know Lesley Duncan, Barbara Kay, Martha Smith and Maxine Darren. I didn't know about them either until recently when I bought a few various artists CDs of Brit bird recordings. Each songstress enjoyed some degree of popularity in the UK, but none came close to being the international star Pet Clark was and is. Pet's career spans eight decades and she will turn age 88 later this year, can you believe it?

      I hope you, your hubby, your daughters and my buddy Benny are having a wonderful Valentine's Day. Thank you again for being a great friend and dropping by on the holiday. Have a safe and happy weekend, dear Janet!

      Delete
  4. I love the Tom Jones video even though I'm more of a dog person than cat. He and Petula Clark are the only ones familiar to me but good choices for Valentine's Day for sure! Didn't the ladies throw their underwear at Mr. Jones when he was in concert? I guess that would be romantic for Valentine's Day! Ha! Hope you had a romantic day with Mrs. S and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks for coming over on your Valentine's Day, dear friend! I'm happy you got a chuckle out of that video filled with kitty capers as Tom Jones crooned his famous tune. I never understood why it was acceptable for women to toss their unmentionables onto the stage as Mr. Jones performed, whereas a guy like me would probably be wrestled to the ground by security men if I threw my BVDs at one of my favorite female singers. Just saying... :)

      Mrs. Shady and I went out to dinner last evening a day early to avoid the V-Day crowd. We spent all day today working on the "nest" hanging artwork, refinishing old furniture we bought at the thrift store and shopping for a few more housewares we needed. I hope you and Jack had a great time up there and weren't hampered by nasty winter weather.

      Thanks again for your cheery visit and comment, dear friend YaYa. Have a super weekend!

      Delete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day, dear friend! Your playlist got me into the groove for today's horror sideshow at Merchant Square Mall in Allentown.

    Thanks for providing the soundtrack today! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for coming over to check out the tunes in Austin Powers' annual Valentine's Day post, dear friend! I hope you had a happy V-Day. You've got me curious as a pussycat waiting to find out about the horror sideshow you attended in Allentown.

      Thanks again for dropping in and have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Allentown post is now up and it does allow comments! I guess I'm going to have to write entries on the computer compared to the app. Who knows. I had a blast yesterday.

      Eh, this Valentine's Day hit me hard. I've always been single and usually dad gives me a card, but he didn't give me a card this year and for some reason, it magnified the blue I was already feeling. I hope you had a better V-Day!

      Have a great Sunday evening, dear friend. Have a great week ahead!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for letting me know you've got comments enabled, dear friend. I'll be over. I'm glad you had a blast in A-town, but sad that you had the blues on Valentine's Day. Your dad shows how much he cares about you all year long, so please remember that.

      Have a great week, dear friend JM!

      Delete
  6. Greetings:) Awesome music selections:) Thank you:) says Thunderbutt and ^.^ … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat!

      How are you, dear friend? Thanks for dropping by and letting us know what Theo Thunderbutt thinks of this year's kitty themed V-Day party. I'm glad he likes the records played by Austin Powers - Int'l Man of Mystery (and Music History).

      I send you both my lubbins from all the way down here in Florida, dear friend cat. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  7. Probably no other song better epitomizes Swinging London of the 1960s than "What's New, Pussycat." Ironic the movie from which the song originated actually takes place in Paris.

    Those mid-1960s female British pop singers make up a sound and genre all their own. Thanks for reminding me of that sound and genre today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for coming to Austin Powers' annual Valentine's Day dance, good buddy! Don't be a wallflower. Get out there on the floor and boogie! "Pussycat" was huge in my neck of the woods, one of the most memorable songs and films of the mid 60s. I'm happy that you mentioned the distinctively different sound on these Brit bird recordings of the 60s. Notice how many of them are B sides of 7-inch records? Very often the A side sounded like something the artist might sing in a lounge or supper club - a song and arrangement aimed at an older audience - jazz and pop standards and weak covers of American hits. Just as often it was the B side that was the groovier song, the one more suited to younger listeners. That's why so many of the Brit bird various artists import CDs I bought a few years ago contain mostly obscure B sides. The music historians who picked the songs for those anthologies knew their stuff - knew what was cool, and made sure the better songs got in.

      Thanks again for coming over, good buddy Kirk. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  8. Hi Austin, and Happy Belated Valentine's Day. I love the video you picked with Tom Jones' song. It's still a classic from my day! And, the cats make the song pop, as it should.

    As for Leslie Duncan, "You Kissed the Boy"...what a title! It dragged a little at first, then it really got good. Her voice opened up and made it work for her! Bravo!

    Oh Man! Talk about drama! "As I Watch You Walk Away"! How many times could I have sang that song! Haha, just kidding! You are right about the drama. I could hear and feel the anguish in her voice!

    This has been a pretty good post, Austin dear. I like everything Petula Clark does. "Dancing in the Street" is one of my favorites, and she rocked it. I remember "Call Me", and like Petula's original recording, but I really prefer Chris Montez's sultry, smooth rendition of the song.

    Maxine Darren is so cute, and "Don't You Know" actually takes me back to maybe the earlier 60's. I liked the song a lot.

    You did a superb job on this one, Austin. I'm not sure about the "irrestable Babe Magnet, but you did make me smile! Too bad Shady was unable to attend, guess he's still singing "My Funny Valentine". Thanks so much!

    And, Shady, if you're nearby, take care! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      Welcome back for the second time this week, dear friend! I hope you and Scootie had a good time at the school V-Day function.

      I'm thrilled that you found so much to like in Austin Powers' V-Day song lineup. I have some tidbits for you. Lesley Duncan, the English sparrow who warbled the first song, "You Kissed Me Boy," unfortunately died ten years ago at the age of 66. That's too young.

      Barbara Kay appeared on the British music TV show Discs a Go-Go. The series ran from 1961 to 1968.

      I'm glad you singled out Martha Smith's drama drenched ditty "As I Watch You Walk Away." The part of the song from 2:08 to 2:13 when she screams "I can't bear the thought of her kissing you" seems ripped from a soap opera and always makes me laugh. It's quite possible this is one of those unintentionally funny songs that was meant to be taken seriously.

      Maxine Darren appeared with other popular UK recording artists on a mid 60s English TV series for children called Ollie and Fred's Five O'Clock Club.

      Once again, thank you for hustling over for a second post this week, dear friend Suzanne. I hope you are well and in good spirits. Mrs. Shady and I are working day and night to set unpacked and settled in. I hope you are having a nice weekend and I wish you a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  9. You must be doing fine as you have moved and here is great musical post.
    Dancing In The Street is an all time favorite no matter who sings it. Love this song.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle!

      Thanks for making time for a visit, dear Arizona friend!

      I hear you, Gayle. As I always say, it starts with a great song and "Dancing In The Street" is a great song. Several artists have had hits with it. I fancy Pet Clark's version but The Vandellas recording gives me chills and fever every time I hear it, especially now that it has been remastered in the 21st century.

      Thanks again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend Gayle!

      Delete
  10. Tom,

    Sorry to be shakin' by so late. You know me and weekends in Blogosphere, we don't mix. :) Anywho, I love the YT video of the cats set to Tom Jones' 'What's New Pussycat'. That put a smile in my heart and on my face this morning. :D I stumbled on Petula's 'Dancing in the Streets' cover a few years back but I totally forgot about her song 'Call Me'. The in-between picks are new-to-me which was a welcome ear candy. Thanks for the fun installment with the shagster, Austin Powers! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for coming over to join the fun as Austin Powers hosts the annual V-week dance party on SPMM! You're just in time for the last dance, dear friend. :)

      I knew you'd get a giggle or two from those crazy cats in the first video. It had been decades since I heard that Tom Jones recording and I decided to plug it into the shagster's play list this year. I'm glad you fancy both Pet Clark songs, her original and her cover. It's worth noting that there were two different "Call Me" songs that became hits, the other one being the Blondie song capably covered by my favorite band In This Moment.

      Thanks again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind