INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Monday, August 19, 2019

Malcolm Winters Presents Atomic Kitten!





Hi, I'm Malcolm Winters...
Neil's brother on the
award winning soap
daytime drama
The Young and
the Restless.

Neil's buttoned up.
I play it loose.
Neil's uptight.
I'm clean outta sight.
See what I'm sayin'?



 As Genoa City's most prominent fashion and glamour
photographer (I've done lots of model shoots for
Jabot Cosmetics) I know my way around a
darkroom and beautiful women. I also
know a thing or two about hip music.

With that in mind, I'd like to introduce Atomic Kitten, a Brit pop
girl trio from Beatletown, UK, - Liverpool, England, - founded in
1998 by members of OMD - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.


The girls asked me to take some publicity shots for their portfolio,
and I'll show them to you as I play their best songs and videos.


Atomic Kitten's original classic lineup consisted of Liz McClarnon,
who co-wrote some of their songs, Kerry Katona and Natasha Hamilton.
Their debut studio album Right Now, was released in October 2000.


In 2001 Kerry Katona (above left) announced her pregnancy
and left the group. She was replaced by Jenny Frost.

Natasha Hamilton - Liz McClarnon - Jenny Frost

The pic above shows the new Atomic Kitten lineup with Jenny Frost.
Now that you know the players, it's time for these ladies to entertain you.



Released as a single near the end of
2002, "Be With You," an adaptation of
the ELO song "Last Train to London,"
hit the top 3 on the UK chart, top 5
in Ireland and top 10 in Australia.
"Be With You" was also released
on the special edition of Atomic
Kitten's second album Feels So
Good and on their third album
Ladies Night.

"Be With You" - Atomic Kitten
(Jan./Feb. 2003, highest cht. pos.
#2 UK/#5 Ireland/#6 Hungary,
#10 Australia)








Atomic Kitten gave us some cool
and very capable covers. In late
2003 they released "Ladies Night,"
a single from the album of the
same name. AK's remake of the
1979-80 chart-topping R&B hit
by Kool And The Gang cracked
the top 10 at home in the UK
and performed well in other
parts of Europe.

"Ladies Night" - Atomic Kitten featuring Kool And The Gang
(Dec. 2003/Jan. 2004, highest
chart pos. #8 UK, #2 Belgium,
#6 Hungary)



Atomic Kitten reaped one of their biggest hits with a version of "The Tide Is High,"
originally recorded in 1966 by the Jamaican group The Paragons. Early in 1981
the song was a chart-topping international hit for Debbie Harry and Blondie.


Atomic Kitten's 2002 release with the title "The Tide Is High (Get The Feeling)"
rose to the top of the chart in the UK and three other countries and was used in
the opening credits of the 2003 Hilary Duff film The Lizzie McGuire Movie.

"The Tide Is High (Get The Feeling)" - Atomic Kitten
(2002, highest chart pos. #1 UK, Ireland, Scotland & New Zealand,
from Sept. 2002 album Feels So Good, OST May 2003
film The Lizzie McGuire Movie)





Founding member Kerry Katona (above right) was still with Atomic Kitten
in 2000 when they recorded "I Want Your Love," a song from the group's
debut album Right Now. "I Want Your Love" reached the UK top 10.
 I guarantee you'll get a BOOM out of this hot number.

"I Want Your Love" - Atomic Kitten
(July/Aug. 2000, highest chart pos. #10 UK)





Kerry Katona (above right) dropped out of Atomic Kitten in 2001 midway
through promoting what would become the group's biggest hit, "Whole Again."


She was replaced by Jenny Frost. The song spent four weeks at the top
of the UK chart and also reached #1 in six other countries. The music
video was re-shot to replace Kerry with Jenny. You can view it here.


The international success of "Whole Again" brought the new lineup of Atomic Kitten
stateside in May of 2001 to shoot a second video to promote the single in the U.S.
The song failed in America, however, because the release coincided with the
September 11 Terror Attacks. In spite of this, "Whole Again" made
Billboard's list of "100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time."
Here's that music video shot in Los Angeles in 2001. 

"Whole Again" (May 2001 U.S. music video) - Atomic Kitten
(single Mar./Apr. 2001, highest chart pos. #1 UK & 6 other countries,
from Aug. 2001 re-release of album Right Now)





When "Whole Again" became
a monster international hit,
Atomic Kitten's debut album
Right Now was remastered and
re-released with Jenny Frost's
vocals replacing those of Kerry
Katona. "Eternal Flame," the
first single to feature new
member Jenny, covers a #1
hit for The Bangles in 1989.
"Eternal Flame" was another
smash for Atomic Kitten,
spending two weeks atop
the UK chart and reaching
#1 in three other countries.


"Eternal Flame" - Atomic Kitten
(Aug./Sept. 2001, highest chart pos. #1 UK, Belgium, Scotland
& New Zealand, from Aug. 2001 reissue of album Right Now)






Atomic Kitten released two versions of
"Right Now," the title song from their
2000 debut album, and each version
has its own promotional video. The
first version of the song is a disco
style number and the original video
features the group's original lineup
of Natasha, Liz and Kerry. Click
here to watch that video.

In 2004 "Right Now" was remixed
and given an updated dance-pop
arrangement. The video features
the post-Kerry Katona lineup of
Natasha, Liz and Jenny. Here's
"Right Now 2004," a song used
on the soundtrack of the 2006
teen fantasy comedy film
Aquamarine.


"Right Now 2004" - Atomic Kitten
(Apr./May 2004, highest chart pos. #8 UK
& Belgium, from 2006 film Aquamarine)




I hope you agree that Atomic Kitten's the bomb...


four exciting and talented zingers... one terrific trio.



Thanks for joining me for my
first hosting stint here at
Shady's Place. I hope we
can do it again someday.
Even as we speak, my
people are meeting with
Shady's people to see if
we can make it happen,
so stay tuned. For now
this is Malcolm Winters
reminding you to keep
your cool. It's my
golden rule. Later!

28 comments:

  1. Hi Shady!

    Atomic Kitten is the bomb! I remember the Tide is High from the Lizzie McGuire movie back from when I was in middle school. You helped me walk down memory lane, thank you.

    Mom and I saw OMD in 2016 and I get their vibe in Atomic Kitten. I love their covers and the flair they put into it. I can't wait to listen again during overtime!

    Happy Monday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Congratulations on being the early bird this time around, dear friend, and thanks for coming!

      I'm glad you remember hearing Atomic Kitten's cover of "The Tide Is High" in the soundtrack of the Hilary Duff teen comedy The Lizzy McGuire Movie and that it brought back memories of middle school.

      I am getting set for another big day of handling family matters across the state, but I got up x-tra early and watched all of these AK videos from start to finish. I agree with you and Malcolm. They are the bomb, a cut above most other girl groups.

      Thanks again for reporting in so early, dear friend JM. I wish you a happy day and week!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Happy Hump Day! Sick day today and about to play some of this AK to help me feel a little bit better, but not too much dancing today as I'm achy.

      Hope all is well with you, dear friend.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      I'm sorry to learn that you are having a sick day, dear friend. I hope you found a cure with a therapeutic dose of Atomic Kitten. Take care of yourself, dear friend JM, and thanks again for your visit today.

      Delete
    4. Hi Shady,

      I ended up going to the Minute Clinic yesterday because I don't play around with sickness. The acute bronchitis I had in March came back and was prescribed another inhaler and a steroid. Resting now and slowly getting back to normal.

      Is Atomic Kitten still around today?

      Delete
    5. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      I'm happy to know you got the treatment you needed and that, slowly but surely, you are putting your illness behind you. I hope you continue on the road to wellness, dear friend.

      The article I read indicates that AK is still active, although there have been no updates in the last year or so. In 2004 the group went on a farewell tour and broke up, but have reunited a few times in the years since with Kerry Katona rejoining the act and Jenny Frost leaving. There have been rumors that Kerry and Jenny were somewhat bitter rivals and that Kerry and Natasha were also feuding, making it hard for AK to stick together. They were also hampered by Liz's fear of flying and refusal to go on tours to other countries. A 5th member, Michelle Heaton, filled in for Liz on those bandstand in foreign lands.

      Please get well, dear friend JM, and thanks again for coming over!

      Delete
  2. I can certainly understand their appeal - nice looking young ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for coming, good buddy!

      Malcolm sure can pick 'em. I never even heard of Atomic Kitten until a week or two ago when I stumbled across them on YouTube. I agree with you. They are nice looking ladies and also great singers and dancers and oozing with personality - the whole package.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea that Blondie wasn't the first to record The Tide is High! I also didn't know this version was used for a Lizzie McGuire movie. In fact, I didn't know there WAS a movie, though I seem to recall a TV show that one of my kids might have watched some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for coming over to meet Malcolm and AK, dear friend!

      It wasn't until recently that I learned about the original version of "The Tide Is High" and the Atomic Kitten cover and listened to both. Hilary Duff has found success as a recording artist and as an actress. Mrs. Shady and I bought Hilary's 1998 movie Casper Meets Wendy for our little granddaughter to watch when she visited. Hilary starred as Lizzy McGuire in the TV series that ran from 2001 to 2004 and in the 2003 Lizzy McGuire Movie. In 2019 Hilary had the title role in the film The Haunting of Sharon Tate.

      Thanks again for dropping in, dear friend Kelly, and have a super week!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'm back. I just listened to Eternal Flame and their version has an entirely different feel to it than the Bangles version did. It's technically just fine, but I have to admit I much prefer the Bangles.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Kelly!

      I just watched the official video for The Bangles version and, for my taste, taking both recordings and both music videos into consideration, it's a tie - they are equally great. I could listen to Susanna sing all day long, but I am also completely enamored by both lineups of Atomic Kitten. They bring enthusiasm, joy and fun to their performances, avoid coming across as too serious, and I like that about them.

      Thanks again for returning to chat, dear friend Kelly. You know the drill. Please be extra good to my buddy Pat and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  4. I really liked Tide Is High, friend Shady, ehem Malcom Winters I meant to say :). The other thought crossing my mind was: Every male would just love AK (no matter how overweight or old), and every female would just hate AK (no matter how overweight or old). The other thought that crossed my mind was: I love, love, love the girls' jeans (says this old and slightly underweight eternal jeans girl :) Always, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat!

      How are you, dear friend! I'm happy to see you and thanks for coming!

      As the koolest kitty in Kanada, I suspected you'd have some good things to say about your feline friends Atomic Kitten. :) I'm glad their stylish jeans appeal to you. I like their cover of "The Tide Is High" and would be hard pressed to pick just one of their songs as a favorite. I think every one of these songs and videos (including the two other videos I linked to) are top notch, just excellent girl group performances, and that includes all four members of the act.

      I hope you won't stop lubbin Shady now that you have feasted your eyes on Malcolm Winters. :) In case you didn't recognize him, Shemar Moore can be seen as Derek Morgan on Criminal Minds and as Hondo in the new TV series S.W.A.T.

      Thanks again for coming down, dear friend cat, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  5. Well, it's a fine hello to you, Malcolm! You and Shady did a good job of finding this fabulous girl group! Everything they do is good...the "Ladies Night" cover was so good, I wouldn't have believed it was a cover if you hadn't of said so!

    These girls are so full of vigor and excitement. They always were costumes appropriate to the number and story they are telling. To me this is real talent, as you are made to feel as though you are watching live concerts instead of videos. This group has a wholesome sound...flirtatious in good taste.

    "I Want Your Love" is a cute song. It's kind of sassy, yet, true to it's delivery of meaning. Very cool costumes. The Debbie Harry cover "The Tide is In" is a good one, but after hearing all of the other offerings, I have to say my favorite is "Right Now".

    This is a great find, you guys! I think these girls should have reaped more rewards than they appear to have collected. They've done a lot of work...YES, The Atomic Kittens are the BOMB! Thank you Malcolm for leading us into the world of these precious jewels! They are one with their vocals. They could easily pass for sisters.

    Have a great week Shady! I am running behind and "amuck"! First day of school, and it's been a full day. This is a wonderful post, you and Malcolm are a couple of Princes for bringing these girls to "Shady's Place". Take care, dear friend!♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      I'm pleased to see you, dear friend! I am out of town this week tending to family matters and using a borrowed laptop. Last night, at the end of a long, busy and tiring day, I noticed your comment and decided to sleep on it and reply early in the morning before the craziness starts here again. After sleeping on your comment, I am sorry to report that I got it wrinkled. :)

      Thanks for swinging by to check out Y&R heartthrob Malcolm Winters and his British girl group discovery Atomic Kitten. I am very happy that your evaluation of AK matches mine (and Malcolm's). The girls have loads of class and personality, flirty and sexy yet wholesome, great costumes and exciting choreography. They were blessed with excellent material to record. They take turns on lead vocals. They all sound good and sell the songs nicely. I agree with people who have commented on YouTube that Atomic Kitten was a better group than Spice Girls. I will add that I also like them more than Girls Aloud.

      It took me quite some time to identify the four individual members of this girl trio because, in certain pictures, they look so much alike - as if they are sisters. Natasha sometimes confuses matters by dyeing her hair black, making it appear as though there was a fifth member in the group's history.

      It is a huge mystery to me that AK never caught on in America. Their first U.S. album wasn't even released until 2003, and even though it contained the international hits "Whole Again," "Eternal Flame" and "Be With You," it failed to reach the chart. In stark contrast, AK was very popular at home in the UK and in other parts of Europe.

      I hope Scootie enjoyed his first day of school. Thanks again for making time for a visit and for your excellent comment. I'm so glad you enjoyed Atomic Kitten. I wish I could take credit for bringing them to you, but it was all Malcolm. He discovered them and he selected the songs. If you like Malcolm's style and the type of music he plays, I can go ahead and promise you that he will be returning to Shady's Place, so stay tuned.

      Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Suzanne!

      Delete
  6. I don’t remember this group but I do like their sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Arleen!

      Thanks so much for dropping by, dear friend back home in PA! I'm delighted that you enjoyed the dance-pop sound of the exciting English girl group Atomic Kitten. Y&R's Malcolm Winters will be introducing more of his musical discoveries when he returns as guest host at Shady's Place, so please stick around.

      Thanks again for your visit and comment, dear friend Arleen!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shady,

    I remember Neil Winters (R.I.P.) And Malcolm Winters from my days of watching the Young and Restless! I enjoyed Malcolm’s pick, the young and ever-changing women of Atomic Kitten! I enjoyed all their songs especially their remake of ”Ladies Night”! But my pick is,”Eternal Flame”. That’s one of my top 10 all time favorites!

    Thanks for introducing me to this Fantastic Trio!
    Toni Deroche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Toni!

      Thanks for coming to the party to meet Malcolm Winters and his girl group discovery Atomic Kitten! I knew that you and your mother watched Y&R and that you would remember Malcolm, the character that first appeared on the daytime drama in May 1994. Shemar Moore has returned to the role periodically and did so earlier this year in the wake of Kristoff St. John's (brother Neil's) death.

      I'm delighted to know you enjoyed Atomic Kitten. Their version of "Eternal Flame" is right up there, in my opinion. I'm glad you like it too, along with their zesty cover of "Ladies Night."

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Toni, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  8. Well, Shady, you brought up the fact on my blog you were something like 15 minutes late in leaving a comment on my latest post, so I guess I should apologize for being a whole day late on leaving a comment on yours, but, trust me, I'm not exacting revenge, it's just that Mr. Fonda kept me busy yesterday morning, and then I had to go to work. Worse, once I got home, I looked at your blog on my cell phone--my only means to the Internet after 8:00 pm--and none of these videos would come up!

    Odd that Atomic Kitten couldn't break the US market. Whatever their lineup, they were three very sexy women with great voices. And what's up with Belgium? That seems to be the country they had the most success in outside of the UK.

    September 11. I don't recall that having an immediate effect on pop music. There was a false rumor about a day later that Whitney Houston had died, and Mariah Carey had a meltdown around then. I remember seeing on Entertainment Tonight or something the reporters camped outside of Carey's door asking her thoughts on 9/11. Like everyone else she said she watched it on TV. I bring this all this up to remind you the fascination with celebrity culture didn't just stop because of 9/11. Maybe it was the name Atomic Kitty. Reminds you of the bomb which reminds you of the explosion, which nobody needed to be reminded of just then (though even THAT was short-lived. On one of my Star Trek posts I pointed out that, predictions to the contrary, movies and TV shows have become MORE violent in the decade and a half since 9/11.)

    Anyway, thanks for bringing this group to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for coming by, good buddy! What's that you say? You were late getting here because you needed to go to work? Me thinks somebody needs to get his priorities straight. Ask yourself this: What's more important... earning a living or hanging out groovin' to tunes at Shady's Place? :)

      I'm glad you agree that Britain's best kept secret - Atomic Kitten -shoulda been, coulda been and woulda been big in the states. They released albums and singles in the UK, Belgium, France, Spain, Denmark, the Ukraine Taiwan, South Africa and even Canada, but not the U.S., not until 2003 when an album was finally issued here, but the Atomic album "bombed" - go figure! If they were not releasing records here, it's no wonder American record buyers like you and me never even heard of them. In September 2001 the record company was preparing to release AK's re-recorded debut album (with Jenny vocals) in the U.S. along with the single "Whole Again," but apparently abandoned the idea when the 9-11 Attacks took place. The girls did alright for themselves w/o an American audience, racking up many international hits. Today Atomic Kitten is fondly remembered and highly regarded by their fans.

      Thanks again for being here, good buddy Kirk, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  9. "I bring this all this up"

    After reading that I felt like throwing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! I'm glad you left a second comment so that I could write a bogus reply and boost my comment total. :)

      Thanks again for joining the fun, good buddy Kirk!

      Delete
  10. Well, howdy Shady! Not a follower of soaps I'm going to address my comments to you Shady..no offense to Hunky Malcolm! AK is a cool girl group and I enjoyed songs that I knew from early days and also watching the changing group members and I felt like they went from cute young girls to sexy older versions but still stayed true to their sound. My favorite song tonight is Eternal Flame. They did a really good version of that. Thanks Shady and Malcolm for this cute/sexy girl group. They are the bomb! Have a good weekend! We'll be out of town for Jack's bday..see you next week in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks a lot for making it over to meet Malcolm and listen to AK, dear friend!

      As you see, Malcolm started to say the word "soap" but corrected himself and called Y&R a daytime drama. :) I'm glad you like his talent discovery, the four English songbirds who were members of the dance-pop trio Atomic Kitten. Both lineups produced great recordings and music videos. I awoke this morning with "Eternal Flame" playing on repeat in my head. That's always a good sign that a musical group did its job.

      I wish Jack a happy birthday and wish you both safe travels this weekend. Thank you again for dropping by, dear friend YaYa!

      Delete
  11. I have never heard of this girl group and they have changed their look over the years. I could hear, in the second song (I think it's the second song) one quick musical part was like one part from the Mary Tyler Moore show. It's quick but I intsantly started thinking about the theme from Mary's Show. There is the other song where they took right from "The Big Country" and western starring Gregory Peck. I love that theme song. Their big hit and the one that follows seems to be what was hot at the time. It's always a good thing to have a band or pop singers being recognized on your hip blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      Welcome back to Shady's Place, dear friend! I'm always happy to have you here. Frankly, Atomic Kitten was brand new to me until a few weeks ago when I stumbled across them on YouTube. I found that I like so many of their recordings and videos that I was compelled to devote an entire post to them. I have been wanting to introduce Y&R hunk Malcolm Winters for quite some time, and this gave me the perfect opportunity. Your ears are better than mine if you picked up samples of the Mary Tyler Moore theme and The Big Country. Pop song composers draw inspiration from any number of sources. They don't always give credit where it is due and sometimes they don't even realize they are borrowing from someone else's work. They do it subconsciously.

      I'm delighted that you appreciated this change of pace from my usual oldies. I try to present variety, something to please everyone's taste.

      Thanks again for making time for a visit, dear friend BB, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind