INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Saturday, July 10, 2021

Whodunit?... with Nick and Audrey Spitz
Chapter 3: Just What I Needed!


We're back... and that's a fact, Jack!


Hi, everybody! Remember us?


We're those lovable Jennifer Aniston
and Adam Sandler look-alikes,
Nick and Audrey Spitz, stars
of the hit Netflix original
movie Murder Mystery.



As you can see, we're still playing detective, examining
clues and trying to figure out who did the dastardly deed -
Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard or Mrs. Peacock.


While we try to solve our case, let's play another round of Whodunit.
Remember the rules? We'll give you the titles of 7 hit records along
with some additional clues. See if you can tell us Whodunit - who
is the artist, group or band that recorded the song?



If you're ready to play, let's put the pedal to the metal and find out
if you're just a garden variety gumshoe... or a first class dick.






RECORD #1:

This soft rock band formed in Melbourne,
Australia, in the mid 70s. In the decade
that followed they placed ten singles in
the top 20 on the U.S. chart including
"Man On Your Mind" which reached
the top 15 in the spring of 1982.

WHODUNIT?





RECORD #2:

Also formed in the mid 70s, this Boston based new wave - power pop rock band
was led by Baltimore born singer, rhythm guitarist, and songwriter Ric Ocasek.
In the spring of '78 their debut single "Just What I Needed" cracked the top 30.


WHODUNIT?


RECORD #3:

Born in New York's Greenwich Village, this female blues and folk singer
is best known for one of the biggest songs of 1974, "Midnight at the Oasis,"
a soft rock single that made a run at the top 5 and spent 24 weeks on the chart.


WHODUNIT?


RECORD #4:

This five member Tex-Mex rock band from San Antonio fronted by
Doug Sahm gained the biggest hit of their career in the spring
of 1965 with "She's About A Mover," a single that made a
run at the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.


WHODUNIT?


RECORD #5:

In the fall of 1987 this Philadelphia based dance-pop group fronted
by zesty lead zinger Jade Starling topped the Dance Club chart
with "Catch Me (I'm Falling)," a song from the soundtrack
of the Jon Cryer movie Hiding Out.


WHODUNIT?


RECORD #6:

They are a brother and sister vocal duo from Trinidad. In the mid 60s
she made a name for herself in the UK releasing records as "Peanut."
In the fall of 1971 the singing sibs reached the top 20 in the U.S.
with a cover of "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep," a #1 hit in the
UK that year for the Scottish band Middle of the Road.


WHODUNIT?


RECORD #7:

Johann Hölzel, a singer and songwriter from Vienna, Austria, had an
international smash in 1986 with "Rock Me Amadeus," a tribute to
Austrian classical composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It became
the first German language song to peak at #1 on the Billboard
Hot 100 and topped the charts on both sides of the pond.


WHODUNIT?


SCROLL DOWN TO FIND OUT WHODUNIT!





















































RECORD #1:

In the spring of 1982 the song "Man On Your Mind" was a top 15
hit in America for the Aussie soft rock band known as

 LITTLE RIVER BAND 

"Man On Your Mind" - Little River Band
(May/June 1982, highest chart pos. #13 Cash Box/#14 Hot 100)



RECORD #2:

Big in Beantown and just about everywhere else, this new wave power pop band
was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018. In 1978 their debut
single "Just What I Needed," with bass player Benjamin Orr on lead vocals
in place of Ric Ocasek, went top 30 in the U.S. and top 5 in France.
The opening riff was derived from the late 60s nursery rhyme
pop hit "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by the Ohio Express.
By now you should know that this groovy band was 

 THE CARS 

"Just What I Needed" - The Cars
(Aug./Sept. 1978, highest chart pos.
#24 Cash Box/#27 Hot 100/#4 France)



RECORD #3:

Her 1974 soft rock hit "Midnight At The Oasis," inspired by Rudolph Valentino
sheik movies, spent nearly half a year on the chart and was nominated for
Record of the Year and Song of the Year at the Grammys. She is

 MARIA MULDAUR 

"Midnight At The Oasis" - Maria Muldaur
(Apr./May 1974, highest chart pos. #4 Cash Box/#6 Hot 100)



RECORD #4:

Doug Sahm was only 58 in 1999 when he died in his sleep of a heart attack.
In the spring of 1965, Doug and his five member Tex-Mex rock band
scored their biggest hit with "She's About A Mover," a song
penned by Doug. The guys called themselves

 SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET 

"She's About A Mover" - Sir Douglas Quintet
(May 1965, highest chart pos. #13 Hot 100/#24 Cash Box)



RECORD #5:

In the fall of 1987, "Catch Me (I'm Falling)," a song from the movie
Hiding Out, shot to #1 on the Dance Club chart. It was recorded
by Jade Starling and her Philly dance-pop group called

 PRETTY POISON 

"Catch Me (I'm Falling)" - Pretty Poison
(Sept thru Dec. 1987, highest chart pos. #1 Dance Club,
#8 Hot 100 & Cash Box/#13 R&B)



RECORD #6:

In 1971 the song "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep," written by British
artist Lally Stott, became a #1 hit in the UK for the Scottish
band Middle of the Road. The version best known in the
U.S. is a catchy cover waxed by a brother and sister
singing act from Trinidad. The duo was known as

 MAC & KATIE KISSOON 

"Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" - Mac And Katie Kissoon
(Sept/Oct. 1971, highest chart pos. #18 Cash Box/#20 Hot 100)



RECORD #7:

In 1998, while mounting a comeback, Austrian singer and songwriter Johann Hölzel
was killed in an auto accident days before he would have turned age 41. Let's turn
back the clock to a happier time in 1986 when he was topping the chart with his
German language international hit "Rock Me Amadeus" and calling himself

 FALCO 

"Rock Me Amadeus" - Falco
(Feb./Mar. 1986, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)



Okay let's find out how well you did on the quiz.


Use the scoring system below to determine
your music detective I.Q.



ALL 7 CORRECT

Holy moly, if you correctly named all 7 artists, you're a super sleuth!
You will be inducted into the Music Detective Hall of Fame
and the Whodunit Record Book.



6 CORRECT

BOOM! No shame whatsoever. I spy a budding private eye. You put the
Mike Hammer down. Charlie Chan - U Da Man. Way to go, Columbo!



5 CORRECT

Nice try, Sherlock! You're a middling, mediocre Magnum, P.I.
Looks like Popeye Doyle could use a little oil. You're no
Dick Tracy and you sure as hell aren't Cagney & Lacey!



3 OR 4 CORRECT

What the hay, at least you gave it your best shot (and failed).
Nancy Drew sure ain't you! Philip Trent got up and went.
Adrian Monk got no spunk. Inspector Clouseau's
got a long way to go!



1 OR 2 CORRECT

No! Not good! Bad! Face it. You're a defective detective!
Boston Blackie? Not exactly! Bulldog Drummond's got fleas!
Philip Marlowe set the bar low!



0 (GOOSE EGG, NONE) CORRECT

TIMBER! You flunked the course! Sam Spade fell asleep in the shade.
Holy dumbed-down Barney Fife, Batman! Peter Gunn ain't got none.
Nero Wolfe's been outfoxed. Kojak? NO, Jack!



Shhhhhh! We need you to keep this on the down low because we're still
working our Murder Mystery, but you'll be happy to know that we'll be
back soon to play another exciting game of Whodunit? Stick around!

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for being the Early Bird this week, good buddy!

      I'm happy that you joined Nick & Audrey for their latest Murder Mystery brain buster quiz and were able to solve 5 out of 7. That's a good score!

      Thanks again for joining the fun, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  2. I started out doing okay..... but then fizzled. At least I knew more than Pat. (who is snoring away his Saturday afternoon)

    Hope you've dried out from Elsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      You and Pat were in a photo finish for second place in the race to Shady's Place, dear friend! Thanks to both of you for coming over on your weekend.

      WHAT??? Pat regarded Nick & Audrey's brain buster as a snooze fest? :) Bless his heart. The heat's probably got him down. Our black kitty sleeps all the livelong day, too.

      You didn't tell me how many Whodunit? artists you correctly guessed, but it sounds like you didn't score quite as well as Alex (above). I hope you enjoyed the song offerings in this round.

      Yessum, we are beginning to dry out from Elsa. Thanks. There are still puddles across our property, but they are shrinking. Today it is mostly sunny and so far, no additional rain.

      Thanks again for dropping in, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
  3. I've never seen Murder Mystery or the movie with Jennifer and Adam. I mostly watch Horror movies though.

    I recognized Falco for Rock Me Amadeus.

    Yeah, sad to say that's the only one I got right. But I didn't really listen to the other artists. In the 80's I was listening to 80's hair bands. lol And in the 70's I was a toddler and little tike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! Hi, Falcor!

      I'm happy to see both of you! Thanks for swinging over on day one of the post's run to test your musical knowledge by taking Nick & Audrey's latest Whodunit? brain buster quiz.

      I watch mostly horror movies, too, dear friend. Mrs. Shady no likey. :) She keeps telling me to grow up. I keep refusing. :)

      Well, if you got one right answer on the test, that's better than a goose egg. I realize that you are quite a bit younger than emcee Shady, and therefore many of the songs picked for this series will be before your time. Fear not. Halloween is coming. Traditionally, I indulge myself in posts that feature 80s hard rock and heavy metal in the weeks leading up to H-ween. Moreover, I have at least four Shady Bunch DJs who specialize in those genres all year round, so BOLO for them.

      Thanks again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend Mary. I wish you and Falcor (not to be confused with Falco) a safe and happy weekend!

      Delete
  4. Well, I did not do very well at all! Not even one right although I did know that the "Midnight Seems Right" singer's name started with an M. I thought Rik Okasek was with the Cure not the Cars so I think half a point for getting the first letters of those right. I absolutely love the song "Lady" by Little River Band. Sometimes I even use "Lady J" as a screen name. Hubby has to go out of town so I suspect I will be watching some Netflix and the Murder Mystery is on my to watch list! Thanks for reminding me. Have a great rest of your weekend my friend. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      Thanks for coming over to bust your brain on Nick & Audrey's Murder Mystery music challenge, dear friend! I don't think this has ever happened before: Three friends in a row who commented on this post - Kelly, Mary and you - all have pet dogs that have become good buddies of mine. :) How's Benny today?

      WHAT? You got a zero on the quiz? That surprises me since 6 out of the 7 songs were hot in the 70s and 80s - the music time period that you know better than the 50s and 60s. Okay, you convinced me that you deserve half a point for being close on two of your answers. Therefore, you will not be required to wear the dreaded dunce cap. :)

      Little River Band cranked out an impressive string of commercial, ear-pleasing pop-rock songs that performed pretty well on the U.S. chart, yet I always thought their singles should have peaked higher. The band didn't have any #1 hits and only one, "Reminiscing," made the top 3. Four more singles reached the top 10 including "Lady." Four others, including "Man On Your Mind," made the top 20, and I think they all should have charted higher. Many of their songs are accompanied by memorable music videos like this one for "Man On Your Mind."

      I think you'll enjoy Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston in Murder Mystery. They definitely have chemistry. Mrs Shady and I both gave the movie thumbs up. It's a hoot. Let me know how you like it.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Janet. Take good care of yourself and my buddy Benny and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  5. I got three right, though I recognized five of the songs. I'll give up being a detective and instead be the lawyer the detective works for. I'm pretty sure Perry Mason made more money than Paul Drake.

    That Little River Band video. So 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for staying up late and coming by to test your musical knowledge with Nick & Audrey, good buddy!

      With a score of 3 correct answers out of 7, you unofficially vault into second place behind Alex who guessed 5 of these artists. I say "unofficially" because Kelly did not reveal her actual score. If, at a later date, it is revealed that she also got 3 out of 7 and nobody else matches or surpasses your scores, then the two of you will compete for the silver medal (and tribal immunity) by determining which of you is first to make fire. However, if you already secretly found the hidden idol, then you've got this thing locked up.

      Perry Mason might have made more $$$ than Paul Drake, but Paul Lynde made more than both of them as center square panelist.

      I was just telling Janet that you could usually count on LRB to come up with interesting and memorable music videos in support of their single releases. "Man Stuck in Your Noggin" is an example.

      Thanks again for playing, good buddy Kirk, and have a great week ahead!

      Delete
  6. Goose egg for me..☹️ I did know 5 of the songs..😳..but I will always come and give it my best shot, enjoy the tunes, and say hi to you Shady! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks for attending my college of musical knowledge, dear friend!

      You seem to know songs better than you know the names of artists who made them famous. If you knew 5 of the 7 songs in today's challenge, then I will grade on a curve and pull your score up to one-half point to match that of Janet. That means you did not flunk the course and do not need to wear the dreaded dunce cap. :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed listening and learning this morning. Thanks again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend YaYa. Have a safe and happy week ahead!

      Delete
  7. Tom,

    I'm a goose egg! I knew I wouldn't do good going into this but I tried, really. Of course, as soon as I heard the songs I knew them instantly...well, the Kissoon siblings I didn't know. Great music flashback for Monday! Have a boogietastic week, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for popping in early on your Monday to sample songs and test your mewsical I.Q., dear friend!

      WHAT??? Another goose egg? Well, if you swear on a stack of bibles that you knew 6 out of 7 songs instantly as soon as you heard them, then I will bend the rules and award you one-half point as I did with Janet and YaYa. You will not fail the course and you avoid having to wear the dreaded dunce cap. :)

      I'm surprised you don't remember that song "(Where's your mama gone) Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep." Two different artists scored a hit with it in 1971. I imagined you singing the song as a girl, but it must not have been played much on the radio in your neck of the woods. It was a biggie in mine.

      Thanks again for stopping by, dear friend Cathy. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  8. Hi Shady!

    I'm a bit late to this party. Sorry! I got 4 right, however! 4 of my favourite songs! I absolutely love that Cars song, that has to be my #1 favourite on this list. I can listen all day. :D

    I love Rock Me Amadeus too. Have you ever hard this song from the Blood Hound Gang? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2NFl86LX3Q
    I first heard this song in December 2000 and this song introduced my 11 year old self to Falco's Rock Me Amadeus.

    This was my first time hearing Mac & Katie Kissoon and I'm impressed. I might have to see what YouTube has because I'm interested.

    I'll give this list a listen to again tomorrow. Have a great evening, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for coming to test your skill at naming recording artists, dear friend! Nick & Audrey Spitz say hello.

      Hey dearie, if you got 4 correct out of 7, then you take over sole possession of second place and stand a great chance of bringing home the silver. Glad you love that Cars song. It's one of their best, I agree.

      I don't remember "Mope" by Bloodhound Gang. It's dated by now but still cool. In addition to the easily recognizable heavy sampling of Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus," the rap song also heavily samples "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood along with Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the Pac-Man theme music. I see Bloodhound Gang is from your neck of the woods - K.O.P. Did you go to any of their shows as a girl or teenager?

      I'm pleased that you singled out brother and sister act Mac & Katie. A few years ago I traced Katie's career all the way back to when she was known as "Peanut" and recorded Brit girl pop.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend JM. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Unfortunately, no, I didn't see Bloodhound Gang live as a girl or teen. I listened to their music and often downloaded them for mixed CDs. They were my jam when I was a pre-teen and teenager. LOL! I learned something new too! I didn't realize they were from around my neck of the woods.

      I can't wait to check out more of Mac and Katie. I've been really busy lately and my mind has been preoccupied on some other things, but maybe tomorrow I'll check them out. :)

      Have a wonderful Wednesday, dear friend!

      Delete
    3. Hi again, Jessica Marie!

      Yessum, the Bloodhound Gang (may I call them the Bee Gees? :) are from King Of Prussia. It's a shame you never got to see them play live.

      Regarding Mac & Katie Kissoon, I recommend you listen to their cover of the Neil Sedaka song "Love Will Keep Us Together" which was made famous by Captain and Tennille. Their biggest hit single of all was "Sugar Candy Kisses." Check it out.

      Thanks for dropping by, dear friend JM!

      Delete
  9. Shit, man, and I thought I knew music. I only got 3, so yeah, I suck. Back to school I go. Thanks for the musical trip down memory lane, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, b.a.f.!

      Thanks for coming early, good buddy!

      You must have been up all night cramming for Nick & Audrey's brain buster quiz. If you got 3 out of 7 correct, then you are tied with Kirk (and possibly Kelly) for third place behind Alex and Jessica Marie. There's no shame in that! If you were a teenager in the 70s (according to your latest short story) then you might have difficulty naming some of the Whodunits of the 50s and 60s in this series, but most artists, groups and bands of the 70s and 80s should be familiar to you.

      Thanks again for coming over and joining the fun, good buddy b.a.f. Enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  10. How did I miss this?? Well, I suck..I got only 2 right-the Cars and Falco. I always laugh at that song, "Amadeus". I love the Simpson parody to this song which was part of their version of "Planet of the Apes." I know of The Little River Band but did not know that song nor the brother and sister duo. The Pretty Poison gal is so 80s from the outfits to the hair...makes me laugh. I know the song, "Midnight at the Oasis" but was thinking Roberta Flack or Dionne Warwick. Whatever became of that singer?? I shall look her up. So I am finally here with my head hung low knowing I could never be a detective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      I'm glad you took time to click back through my archives to see what you missed, dear friend.

      Hey, if you correctly guessed two of the artists our of seven, then you have a very respectable score - way better than a goose egg. Isn't it a shame that "Falco" died young and tragically? There are many such stories throughout rock history as you already read in my current post where I discussed the fate of the Dorsey brothers. Yessum, it's easy to identify the 80s decade from the hair and outfit of Jade Starling, lead zinger of Pretty Poison. Jon Cryer actually looked pretty cool in those film clips. I don't think I have seen Hiding Out. Maria Muldaur will soon be age 78, and yet she just recorded and released a new album this year! Isn't that something?

      You might never make it as a detective, but you are a cherished friend BB. Thank you again for remembering me. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind