INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Gang's All Here! A Pair of Good Girls Breaking Bad Join
From Dusk Till Dawn's Badass Bros in The Shady Bunch!





Welcome to Part 2 of my New Year's special
introducing the ten newest members of
the Shady Bunch deejay team here on
S-P-M-M Retrosonic Radio. In Part 1
last Friday you met Jimmy Berluti of
The Practice, Patty Solis-Papagian
of Goliath and Kim Wexler of Better
Call Saul... along with Daisy Skye
from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
and veteran Wibbage radio personality
Joe Niagara. Today five more stars are
ready to get behind the mic and start
entertaining you. Time to meet them!


CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!
(COLD SHOW OPEN)


"Breathless" - Jerry Lee Lewis
(Mar./Apr. 1958, highest chart pos. #7 Hot 100,
#10 Cash Box, perf. on Feb. 14, 1958,
ep. of The Dick Clark Show)

The Killer - Jerry Lee Lewis - leaving you breath-uh-luss
and kicking off the show performing his top 10 hit
on Valentine's Day, 1958, on Dick Clark's
Saturday Night Beechnut Show.


Hi, we're The Gecko Brothers, Seth & Richie, stars of the Netflix original
From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series. By night, we fight vampires south of
the Texas border in Mexico. By day, we're spinning records as new
members of The Shady Bunch deejay posse here on S-P-M-M.




(SETH GECKO)

Our new Shady's Place radio show is
called Nothing to Lose featuring
the greatest sounds of rock & roll,
 rockabilly, psychobilly, black hat
outlaw country and the
rock 'n' roll revival.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

We play tunes with 'tude and here's
another - Bob Vidone And The
Rhythm Rockers with their
rockabilly screamer-- "Untrue!"


"Untrue" - Bob Vidone and The Rhythm Rockers
(Feb. 1959, B side of "Frankie and Johnnie")




(RICHIE GECKO)

You just heard two dynamite discs -
The KillerJerry Lee Lewis, doing
"Breathless," a single that was hot
on the chart in the spring of 1958,
and a killer B "Untrue," by those
rockabilly wild men Bob Vidone
& The Rhythm Rockers, released
a year later in '59. If you dig what
we have to offer then BOLO -
be on the lookout - for the first
installment of Nothing To Lose
with The Gecko Brothers - Seth
& Richie - starting later this year
on S-P-M-M Radio... where
the rock rolls on and on.


Now meet a pretty lady who could give Santanico Pandemonium
a run for her money. From the hit Canadian TV comedy-drama
Being Erica, the future Mrs. Richie Gecko-- Erica Strange!




Thank you very much, Richie. You're so sweet!
And hello to you out there! On Being Erica, my mysterious therapist, Dr. Tom, works his magic
and sends me back in time to relive pivotal
events in my life, correcting mistakes
that led me down the wrong path.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

On my new show, Strange Magic Being Erica,
I will send you back in time to re-experience
the happy times of your youth - no fixing -
just fun. I'll be presenting the best mix
of classic rock from the 60s, 70s and
80s - great songs like this one!


"Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan
(June/July 1974, highest chart pos. #3 Cash Box/#4 Hot 100)

Steely Dan with Donald Fagen on lead vocals doing "Rikki Don't Lose
That Number," a top 5 hit for the jazz rock band in the summer of '74.


If you like what you heard so far, then I hope you'll join me for my new show
Strange Magic Being Erica coming up later this year on S-P-M-M Radio.

Now I'd like you to meet another new Shady Bunch DJ. She probably gets this
all the time, but I think she looks a lot like Joan on Mad Men. She is the star of
another hit TV series, the NBC comedy-drama Good Girls, not to be confused
with Good Girls Revolt with Cindy, Patti and Jane. Say hello to Beth Boland!

Thank you, Erica, and hello one and all!
On Good Girls, I am an ordinary suburban
wife and soccer mom who, through a series
of bizarre circumstances, manages to turn
myself into a gangster moll. In what little
spare time I have between robberies, I'll
be hosting my new radio show here on
S-P-M-M. It's called (appropriately)
Beth Boland's Adrenaline Rush,
and will feature the best mix
of the 70s and 80s.

CLICK TO START VID!

My specialty is music with a beat to get
your heart pounding - Foreigner, Hall & Oates, Steve Miller, Boston and more.
This fellow will be a frequent flyer.
You know what they say...
spare the rod and spoil the
show.. Let there be Rod!


"Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)" - Rod Stewart
(Feb./Mar. 1982, highest chart pos. #15 Cash Box/#20 Hot 100)


The Rodster, Rod Stewart, with his top
20 U.S. hit from '82 "Tonight I'm Yours
(Don't Hurt Me)." I gotta go see a man
about a horse, but I'll be back later this
year with the first edition of my show
Beth Boland's Adrenaline Rush.

Now, last but certainly not least,
here is the 10th new member of
The Shady Bunch deejay corps
for 2021. She's another good girl
breaking badass, one of the stars
of the hit Netflix science fiction
horror series Stranger Things.
Please welcome Nancy Wheeler!





Thanks, Beth, and hello everyone! On my TV
show Stranger Things, I went from shy violet
to warrior princess in the battle against alien
creatures from the Upside Down. That being
the case, I'm sure you understand why my
new S-P-M-M radio show is called
No More Mr. Nice Girl.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

As an 80s teenager, I'll be playing
the best sounds of the decade, the stuff
I listen to when I wanna rock myself
to sleep. Here's April Wine!


"Rock Myself To Sleep" - April Wine
(Aug./Sept. 1985 uncharted)






From Nova Scotia, the hard rock band
April Wine with a great 80s sound
"Rock Myself To Sleep." Hard to
believe that single never reached
the chart - didn't even Bubble Under.
I suppose Stranger Things have
happened, but I don't know when.
Remember me, Nancy Wheeler,
and look for my new radio show
No More Mr. Nice Girl
making its debut this year
here at Shady's Place.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!


That wraps up our two-part New Year special. This is Nancy Wheeler saying
goodbye for now and reminding you to never leave home without your bear trap.
Stay tuned throughout the year for brand new radio shows from me and the rest of
The Shady Bunch - Jimmy Berluti, Patty Solis-Papagian, Kim Wexler, Joe Niagara,
Daisy Skye, The Gecko Brothers - Seth & Richie, Erica Strange, Beth Boland, Hepcat
Black, Ernest P. Worrell, The Good Girls - Cindy, Patti & Jane, Robert W. Morgan,
Dr. Don Rose, Brian Griffin, Shady Blue, Shady Green, Hy Lit, Jerry Blavat,
Toto Moto, Dell Rat Tom, Don Cornelius and Shady Seaweed. 2021 is
going to be a huge year, so keep it here on S-P-M-M, the station
that's #1 for music and fun. Happy new year and see you soon!


"Strut" (Extended Video Dance Mix ) - Sheena Easton
(Nov./Dec. 1984, highest chart pos.#4 Cash Box/#7 Hot 100)

20 comments:

  1. Am I really first today? Whoohoo! Welcome new DJ's for this year. I think I'll like the numbers that will featured although I'm sure there will be lots I don't know. But isn't that the fun of things? Learning and enjoying new sounds? I knew most of the groups here except Bob Vidone and April Wine. No matter, it will be a good year, right? I've never watched any of the shows featured here either. Even Stranger Things that Jack thinks I would like since I do enjoy weird paranormal stuff! I guess I have homework to do! I hope you had a great New Year's and I wish you and Mrs. Shady good health and happiness in 2021. I'll close with my word for this year...HOPE! Yep, let's hope it's a healthy year all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Yessum, you're the Early Bird this week, and I thank you for hopping over so quickly, dear friend! I'm excited to have you here to meet the remaining five Shady Bunch DJs in this year's crop.

      I always appreciate how you express an interest in learning new songs here at Shady's Place. I try to post songs that I (and you) haven't heard in a long time, songs I haven't used before on either of my blogs. I'm delighted when I come up with gems of the past that are completely new to your ears.

      Yessum, as I continue to introduce new S-P-M-M personalities over the next few years, I will be revealing some of my favorite TV shows and which characters from those series I admire enough to bring here to host my radio shows. Nancy Wheeler is my favorite character on Stranger Things because she exhibits quiet strength, a quality I value in a person. I think you'd like that series. It is on hiatus because of the pandemic, but you have a few seasons to get through before you are caught up. Being Erica is a cute Canadian series that would appeal mostly to women. From Dusk Till Dawn is filled with violence, gore and vampires. It might be a little too intense for some, but I loved it.

      Without hope where would we be? There is always reason to hope given our resilience as humans. After the kind of year you had, Kathleen, you of all people are a great example of that. I wish you and your family all the same for 2021. Keep in mind that today is Epiphany Day, and the Greek Orthodox Church ceremony I have told you about in previous years, the young men diving for the cross hoping for a year of blessings, is taking place at Tarpon Springs, albeit under COVID-19 restrictions.

      Thank you again for coming and God bless, dear friend YaYa!

      Delete
  2. I liked the movie but have never watched the series of From Dusk Til Dawn. I do remember the April Wine song, especially as we recently re-watched Fright Night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      You narrowly missed being the Early Bird this time, good buddy, and I thank you for coming. Happy New Year!

      I highly recommend From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series. It's a hoot and very nicely produced. The dynamic young actors who portray the lead characters, the notorious Gecko Brothers, made such an impression on me that I was compelled to make them DJs on my SPMM radio station. Don't miss Don Johnson as Ranger Earl, Wilmer Valderrama ("Fez" from That 70's Show) as Carlos, Demi Lovato as Maia and exciting newcomer Madison Davenport in one of the lead roles as Kate.

      I'm not surprised you know Canadian rockers April Wine from the OST of Fright Night.

      Thanks again for your visit and comment, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  3. Tom,

    I wish the TV series From Dusk Til Dawn was still running. I'd love to see a good vampire series show up. I enjoyed part 2 of your New Year's Special. I love Steely Dan, Rod Stewart, and Sheena Easton - just love the dance vibe from the 80s! Have a good week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for joining the fun as I present Pt. 2 of my special to start the year 2021. I will always be thankful to you for introducing me to From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series because, as you see, I liked the main characters enough to hire them as hosts of their own radio show at Shady's Place. I too wish the series hadn't run out of gas and ended. If you are bloodthirsty for more vampire shows or horror shows in general, I can recommend Stan Against Evil, a comedy horror television series populated by ghosts, witches and demons, and the vampire series What We Do in the Shadows, an American TV adaptation of a New Zealand mockumentary horror comedy film. Of course, there is also Nancy Wheeler's series Stranger Things.

      I'm happy to know you enjoyed boogieing to the 80s sounds in this new year teaser. Thanks again for dropping by and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete
  4. You've kicked off 2021 with some real treats. From Jerry Lee Lewis to Steely Dan plus a Netflix powerhouse series. Thanks for such a variety. Some of these I'd never heard before, so that made my visit even more exciting today. Here's to a wonderful year, Shady! Let's fill it with music and dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl-Lee!

      Happy new year, dear California friend!

      I'm pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to Shady's Place in 2021 featuring an eclectic mix of music styles and the songs introduced by some of my favorite characters from drama, romantic comedy, action adventure and horror television series.

      Thanks for your kind visit today and for your ongoing friendship and support, dear friend Cheryl-Lee. I join you in vowing to fill the coming year with music and dance. Take care and I hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  5. The Steely Dan number is the winner for me this time, Shady. I don't know that I've ever heard them described as a "jazz rock" band. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thank you for patiently waiting for my return to blogging and a response to your comment.

      I was thrilled to find that crystal clear audio video of Steely Dan's top 3 charting hit "Rikki," a major memory maker from the summer of 1974 when I was in my mid 20s.

      Thanks again for your visits and kind comments, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
  6. Hello dear friend. I don't know any of your new DJs but the music is familiar. Of course Sexy Rod is my favorite of the bunch. I do like Steely Dan but this particular song is not high on my list. I did get a chance to see them a couple of times before Walter Becker passed. They do put on a good show, although didn't allow picture taking - which you know is my thing - so I was a little bummed about that. Have a great week buddy.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      Thanks for patiently waiting for my return and my reply to your comment from days ago, dear friend!

      Yessum, two of my new SPMM deejays played Rod Stewart songs just for you. Truth be told, this two-part New Year special was finished a long time ago, well before you revealed to me how much you enjoy Rod's style, That bodes well for the future because Beth Boland in particular likes Rod as much as you do, and she will be featuring his hits on her show Adrenaline Rush. Stay tuned!

      Thanks for letting me know you saw Steely Dan in concert in your area. Seems they could have allowed picture taking from a designated section of the arena for scrapbooking fans like you.

      Thank you again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend Janet!

      Delete
  7. Yesterday, I was reading your post and had just turned on, “Rock Myself To Sleep” when my husband hurriedly came to tell me to put on the TV. What I saw was like something out of a Bruce Willis movie. The frightful face shown along with that song seemed to go with all the horror we were seeing. We are in a very bad place now and I hope we can recover. The enemy is within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Arleen!

      Thank you for coming, dear friend! I'm sure you of all people understand that I needed a couple of days to withdraw and compose myself before attempting to return to routine blogging. Thanks for your patience dear friend!

      Yessum, you and I and millions of others have lived through yet another disturbing event in American history that has us remembering exactly where we were and what we were doing when we first learned of the terrible events unfolding. On 9-11, for example, I was vacuuming the rugs when intuition told me to turn off the machine and turn on the TV. There it was...the horror... and it was only another couple of minutes before the second plane hit.

      Like you I went to a very bad place this week. I hope you are bouncing back and will be able to laugh, sing and smile with me again soon. I am very proud to know you, Arleen. Thank you, dear friend!

      Delete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip to the 1980's but never did watch Dusk til Dawn. I saw the movie and hated it. I haven't seen Stranger things either. Good Girls sounds fun to watch and I loved the original movie of Fright Night which was ghoulish and funny. The music is fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      Thank you very much for being here so often in recent days, dear friend. I greatly appreciate your company and your comments!

      If you hated the film From Dusk Till Dawn, then there's a good chance you won't like FDTD: The Series. However, you might like the fresh faced, charismatic young actors who play the two lead characters, the Gecko Brothers, in the TV series. I highly recommend it. Stranger Things is on such a long COVID induced hiatus that the series might struggle to regain its audience by the time it returns. Nancy Wheeler's mom is now a villain on Supergirl. Good Girls is great fun with three very funny leading ladies.

      Thanks again for joining me, dear friend BB!

      Delete
  9. Hi Shady,

    The soundtrack for today. It was much needed for the office and it was much needed for the mood. I'm familiar with most of these songs, and while I'm familiar with Sheena Easton I'm not too familiar with her music. She dated Don Johnston, right?

    You had me tapping my tows and singing along. I'm a child of the 80s, 89 to be exact, and while these are way past my time, I enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for dropping by, dear friend!

      From what I read, Sheena Easton has been married four times. I don't see anything about her having dated Don Johnson, but it is certainly possible. She now lives in Nevada. Sheena's 1984 single "Strut" was a major hit in the U.S., reaching the top 5, but it flopped back home in the UK, becoming, as Wiki sez: "the first US Top 40 single by Easton to completely miss the Top 100 of the UK charts."

      Thank you for your visit and comment, dear friend JM!

      Delete
  10. Hey Tom,

    Stopped by to look for a past post when I came across this one and noticed your first video isn't working. I thought you'd like to know so you can fix it. This sort of thing drives me nuts on my site. :) TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      I see you visited three of my older posts today. That's so nice of you. Yessum, I see that the first video is gone, but I am not going to try to replace it or other videos that have been removed by or from YouTube because that would take far too much time. Here's what happened. Recently, YouTube suspended the account of one of the YouTubers I rely upon most heavily for remastered "sync edit" videos, the kind I like to use whenever possible. When that channel was suspended for repeated copyright violations, dozens, perhaps hundreds of videos that were embedded in my older posts were deleted. It's a staggering loss, but that's how it goes in blogging. Thanks for visiting and calling it to my attention, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind