Pure Magic - the Shady Dell Attic: 100+ Years of History and Mystery!

          Having one of those days? Dampened spirits need a lift? You've come to the right place.

                          Spend a little time here at Shady's Place and feel better fast!

Wednesday, July 15, 2026

 That Was Then 
 THIS IS NOW 
 Vol. 10: The End - 
 Period, Full Stop. 

  No More 
 Jarring Juxtapositions 
 of Female Vocalists 
 Past and Present! 


 You've come a long way, baby... 


 Is that Denny Crane 
 hosting a beauty pageant? 


Welcome to Vol. 10 of my series 

Jarring
Juxtapositions:
That Was Then -
This Is Now! 

Why did I strike through Jarring Juxtapositions and This is Now?
To be honest, I have run out of enjoyable modern songs
to serve as counterpoints to the oldies but goodies.


And so, I am bringing this long running series to an end
and presenting, in this 10th and final volume, ten great
"That Was Then" songs, with no "This Is Now" metal
and hip hop madness to remind us of how much times
have changed and how much innocence has been lost.


So join me in a celebration of the look,
sound and the attitude of female singers
then... and now!


THAT WAS THEN
THE LENNON SISTERS




It's a different world, my friend. When
I was a boy in the 1950s, girls looked
and acted like The Lennon Sisters, the
darlings of The Lawrence Welk Show.
The wholesome meter was pegged
when 'lil Chanet" and her singing
siblings appeared on a 1956 episode
of Welk's program and performed
"Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be,
Will Be)," the song introduced by
Doris Day in the Alfred Hitchcock
film The Man Who Knew Too Much.



"Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" - The Lennon Sisters
1956 perf. on The Lawrence Welk Show)





Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be



In one of their early appearances on The Lawrence Welk Show
in the mid 50s, 'lil Chanet" and her siblings visited the
zoo and sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah," a song from
the 1946 Disney movie Song of the South.

"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah"
The Lennon Sisters (1950s ep.
of The Lawrence Welk Show)


THAT WAS THEN
LULU

Now here's Lulu, the cute, bubbly and wholesome Scottish
pop singer and actress who stole our hearts in the movie
To Sir With Love and had a hit record singing the title song.


Sung by Lulu, "Boom Bang-A-Bang" is best known as the British
winning entry at the 1969 Eurovision Song Contest held in Madrid.


 The single made #1 in Ireland and Norway, #2 in the UK and was a
major hit throughout Europe as well as in Australia and New Zealand.


In the rare and brilliantly restored clip you are about to see,
Lulu performs the song on Pop Goes the Sixties, a TV special
co-produced by the UK's BBC and West Germany's ZDF.
The show, broadcast New Year's Eve 1969, reviewed
the top hits of the 60s decade.  Here's perky Lulu
singing her award winning "Boom Bang-A-Bang." 

"Boom Bang-A-Bang" - Lulu
(Mar. 1969, highest chart pos. #1 Ireland & Norway,
#2 UK/#3 Switzerland/#4 Belgium, co-winner of
1969 Eurovision Song Contest, Madrid, Spain,
Dec. 31, 1969, perf. on Pop Goes the Sixties



THAT WAS THEN
THE SHANGRI-LAS


Now here are the fabulous drama queens of pop, The Shangri-Las,
with a song that might be the biggest Underachiever of all time.
Amazingly, it never rose above #99 on the Billboard chart!


 In August, 1965, "Right Now And Not Later" was released as a
single from the edgy girl group's second album "Shangri-Las - 65!
The backing track sounds like it was inspired by Motown's highly
successful H-D-H composing team and, in particular, by Supremes
songs like "Stop! In the Name Of Love" and "Come See About Me."
The Shangri-Las scored substantial hits before and after this single
but, for some reason, the groovy song failed to catch on. 


Watch and listen as The Shangs appear on an October, 1965 episode
of the teen music TV series Shivaree and perform a song that's too cool
for school and should have been a hit-- "Right Now And Not Later!"

"Right Now And Not Later" - The Shangri-Las
Sept./Oct. 1965, highest chart pos. #99 Hot 100/#150 Cash Box,
#106 Record World, perf. on Oct. 2, 1965, ep. of Shivaree)




THAT WAS THEN
BONNIE AND
THE TREASURES



The times they were a changin' in the 1960s. No longer were
songs only about love found, love lost and having good times.
More and more compositions were calling attention to social
issues. The song you're about to hear, "Home Of The Brave,"
is one of them. Recorded by Bonnie And The Treasures, 
"Home Of The Brave" was released as a single a few
weeks before Barry McGuire's chart-topping hit
"Eve Of Destruction."  The girl trio's single
didn't do as well on the chart, but it's a
cool Shangri-Las style girl group sound.



 Watch this rare clip from an October, 1965, episode of Dick Clark's
Where The Action Is as Bonnie & The Treasures, the trio of Charlotte
(Charlott) O'Hara (Charlotte Matheny), Sherlie Matthews and Clydie
King, perform "Home Of The Brave." Jody Miller had the bigger hit
with this message song about nonconformity, but this is the definitive
version. Adding to the magic of this performance are The Action Kids
female dancers Roberta Tennes and Jill Gordon. Lead singer "Bonnie"
left this world in 1976. The lovely Roberta Tennes (close-up at :37)
danced in movie musicals and was one of The Gazzarri Dancers
on Hollywood A Go-Go before joining The Action Kids. Roberta
passed away in 2015. I wish I had a time machine!

"Home Of The Brave" - Bonnie And The Treaaures
(Sept. 1965, highest chart pos. #77 Hot 100/#83 Cash Box,
scene from Oct. 8, 1965, ep. of Where The Action Is)



THAT WAS THEN
DONNA LOREN



When I was a boy in the 1950s, I never missed an episode of
The Mickey Mouse Club. On March 7, 1957, her 10th birthday,
budding pop singer and actress Donna Loren appeared on the
Disney series' Friday "Talent Round-Up Day."


  Behold how little girls looked, spoke, sang and conducted themselves
back then as you watch Donna's performance of "Pennies From Heaven!"

"Pennies From Heaven" - Donna Loren
Appearing on The Mickey Mouse Club
March 7, 1957




THAT WAS THEN
ANNETTE


Now let's flash back to 1962
and watch a nicely restored clip
of a song and dance number by
America's sweetheart, former
Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeer
Annette Funicello, a multitalented
idol of the boomer wonder years.
Shirley, every mother's son and,
more importantly, every son's
mother approved of showgirl
Annette as she performed
the song "Mr. Piano Man"
in The Golden Horseshoe
Revue on The Magical
World of Disney.

"Mr. Piano Man" - Annette
 (Sept. 23, 1962, perf. on
"The Magical World of Disney" 
 - The Golden Horseshoe Revue


 INTERMISSION 

1950s Drive-In Intermission Animated Short – "Buttercup Popcorn"



THAT WAS THEN
CONNIE FRANCIS


By 1958, Connie Francis had gained a reputation for crooning
easy listening romantic ballads. Her recordings were popular
with older folks but, with the era of rock & roll transforming
the pop music scene, many teenagers found them boring. 



Struggling on the chart and in desperate need of a hit, Connie waxed
"Stupid Cupid," an uptempo rock & roll novelty number written by
the Brill Building composing team of Howard Greenfield and
the late, great Neil Sedaka who died earlier this year.


The result was a top 15 U.S. hit for the songstress that summer.
Across the pond, Connie's platter was a smash in the UK where
it spent six weeks at #1.  Here now is Connie Francis with
a catchy sound that appealed to younger ears and got her
career as a recording artist back on track-- "Stupid Cupid!"

"Stupid Cupid" - Connie Francis
(July/Aug. 1958, highest chart pos. #14 Hot 100/#16 Cash Box)




THAT WAS THEN
THE SHIRELLES


Written by the Brill Building team of Gerry Goffin and Carole King,
"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" is one of the greatest pop songs of
the 60s and a chart-topping hit single for The Shirelles, one of
the greatest girl groups of all time. On the single's first pressing,
the title was simply "Tomorrow." After that it was lengthened
to "Will You Love Me Tomorrow." (The word "Still" is not
in the title.) The fab flip is the killer bee "Boys" which was
famously covered by The Beatles and Pete Best. 


Hard to believe, but this innocent sounding Shirelles record
was banned by some radio stations due to its "sexually charged"
lyrics. (Shady says: Gangsta rap was still light years away!)
Watch, listen and remember the way we were back then as
The Shirelles perform-- "Will You Love Me Tomorrow."

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" - The Shirelles
(Dec. 1960/Jan. & Feb. 1961, highest chart pos.
#1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)



THAT WAS THEN
LESLEY GORE



The country ballad "Young Love" was co-written and first
recorded by Ric Cartey with backing by The Jiva-Tones.
Released in November, 1956, Ric's record failed to chart. 


Within weeks, covers of the song were released by three other artists:
Sonny James, Tab Hunter and The Crew-Cuts.  All three of those
versions went on to become hits in February and March, 1957,
with movie star Hunter's cover enjoying the greatest success. 


In late 1965, pop star Lesley Gore released the song on a single
and had a minor hit in the U.S. and a more substantial one in
Australia where the record approached the top 20. To conclude
my series That Was Then - This Is Now on a high note,
here's Lesley with her biggest commercial success
of 1966, an excellent cover of-- "Young Love!"
 
"Young Love" - Lesley Gore (Apr. 1966, highest chart pos.
#50 Hot 100/#57 Cash Box/#43 Canada/#24 Australia)


I hope you enjoyed my 10-part series

Jarring Juxtapositions:
That Was Then - This Is Now!
Musically speaking, if I had my druthers, I'd choose to return to 
 Then


MARCIA!  MARCIA!  MARCIA!


End of series - period, full stop. 

20 comments:

  1. Hello Tom -

    Well, It's been quite a while since July 26, 2018 when you spun off  "Shady's Place" from "Shady Dell Music and Memories".  And, now I guess your pipe has finally run out of tobacco. There has been a lot of water over the dam for both of us during that time span.  Our relationship started with a "Close You Eyes" 45 rpm record by the Five Keys which was buried in the Shady Dell record collection.  Written on that record was: "To Helen & John from Tom & -(redacted) Anderson 3/73".   From some information I found in Nancy's Shady Dell information, I found your address and tracked you down.  I'm indebted to you for introducing me to 'The music of our lives' in your blog as well as something you once wrote to me:
       
            "It's a great feeling to know that my words can have a positive impact and perhaps make a difference in someone's life.  Yes, it's true.  The songs of the past that we remember and love formed the soundtrack of our young lives.  They accompanied us through all of our adventures and misadventures, our loves and losses.  No wonder we cherish them so much.  Flashback images in the form of a slide show or a movie reel run through my own head whenever I listen to my favorite songs.  They usher me through a portal and take me back to the people, the places and the times of my life, including those incredible "Shady Dell nights" - the three words that inspired me to create the character "Shady Del Knight" all those years ago."

    Some of those songs that you presented and words you passed on to me helped me get through a very difficult time of my life.  Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jim! You are the Early Bird this time around, my friend. Thanks for showing up in the morning shortly after the post hit the blog!

      You must be thinking that I am bringing Shady's Place to an end with today's post, Jim.  That is certainly not the case.  I am only ending the blog series entitled "That Was Then - This Is Now."  However, your remarks are so touching that I am posting them anyway.

      Yessiree, there has been a lot of water over Indian Rock Dam for both of us during the lifespan of my two blogs, Shady's Place and SDM&M. You lost Nancy, a wonderful friend to me personally and a great friend of the Dell, as you certainly turned out to be as well. We also lost Margaret Elizabeth Brown Schneider - "The Oldest Living Dell Rat" - at the age of 105.

      Thank you again for coming early, Jim, and especially for all the kind words. I'm not going anywhere just yet, so look for my next post on August 10.  It'll be another edition of the series you helped create - Saved By The Dell.

      Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Dear friend Shady, you have outdone yourself in this fabulous post!!! Wow! Okay, let's see...Lulu! My favourite song by her is "To Sir with Love", when she made her debut on the movie with the same title...my favourite movie, and my favourite actor, Sidney Poitier! A real gentleman and fine actor he was!
    The Brady Bunch, yes, I remember that show as well!
    Lesley Gore...my favourite song by her is "You don't own me" and next, "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows".
    The beautiful and talented Annette Funicello! I also remember The Mickey Mouse Club!
    The drive-in intermissions were a great time to get popcorn, drinks or whatever you fancied! Even though my family, nor I, have ever owned a car, I did go to a few drive-in movies with friends way back in the day!
    The Lennon Sisters: great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda!

      Thanks for swinging by early on day one to claim the Silver Medal, dear friend!

      I'm excited to know that you love Lulu, loved her in the movie To Sir With Love and that its dynamic star, Sidney Poitier, is your favorite actor. I was so taken with the film that I saw it several times in the 1960s alone, and Lulu's hit version of the theme song is one of my favorite recordings as well.

      How about Marcia Brady landing a date with Davy Jones of The Monkees? That episode stands as one of the most memorable of the entire Brady Bunch series. I think Lesley Gore does a great job of covering Ric Cartey's "Young Love," a countrified song that became a hit when waxed by Sonny James, Tab Hunter and the Canadian vocal group The Crew-Cuts. Lesley's version is one of my favorites of her entire discography.

      So glad the sights and sounds of Annette, Donna Loren, The Mickey Mouse Club, the vintage intermission reel and the Lennon Sisters on Lawrence Welk all resonated with you.

      Thanks so much for coming over and for your great comment, dear friend Linda!

      Delete
  3. I always loved watching The Lawrence Welk Show! I loved the singing and dancing, very entertaining and wholesome! I miss this type of entertainment, Shady. The garbage that is aierd on television these days just doesn't compare to the fine shows of the 50s and 60s. I also loved the way men and ladies dressed back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, Linda!

      Thanks for the curtain call, dear friend! Yessum, my mom and dad never missed Lawrence Welk and, as a boy, I watched the series with them, albeit somewhat reluctantly, seeing as how I was already getting interested in rock & roll, a genre that Welk despised and refused to allow on his show.. I appreciate your point, however, about the value of wholesome entertainment. My folks regularly watched Ed Sullivan, The Red Skelton Show, Andy Williams, Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall and other such family-oriented TV shows, and I enjoyed them too. I loved the way people dressed back then, especially women and girls. I miss those styles!

      Thanks again, dear Linda, for your excellent comments and faithful friendship See you next month!

      Delete
  4. In all the clips, none of the females needed to be mostly undressed. In todays videos or performances you will never see a female without most of her body showing. There are few exceptions. Of course today you can watch double X rated porn on TV and so can all the kids. I got to go now and stream my missed episodes of Howdy Doody. Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jerre!

      Thanks for reporting in, good buddy!

      Can you please email me a list of performances you have recently watched in which the female has most of her body showing? I want to experience the same level of outrage. :) That's right, Jerre. Times have changed, clothing is optional and wardrobe malfunctions are all part of the act in today's entertainment world. Where is The Singing Nun when we need her? :)

      I hope you enjoyed the lineup of 10 female singers of the past as I bring my long-running series That Was Then - This Is Now to a close. Thanks for coming by, good buddy Jerre, and look for Pt. 21 of Saved to appear on August 10 right here at Shady's Place!

      Delete
  5. I'll admit I always preferred the "then" songs in this series, even though I really have nothing against current music. I just prefer a different genre with current stuff.

    Pat and I approve of these oldies, Shady. Good music never goes out of style. Ditto what Jerre said. I'm no prude, but I do have my limits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly & Pat!

      Thanks for dropping by as I end my old series TWT - TIN after a run of many years. Glad to know that you and Pat approve of the older material. Shucks, Pat is way too young to remember these female artists of the 1950s and 60s, but I trust he found one or two favorites in this 10-song set and returned home to Arkansas with a catchy earworm in his little noggin.

      Thanks again for your kind visit and comment, dear friend Kelly. I'll be back with my next post on August 10 and hope to see you then!

      Delete
  6. Que sera, sera - that's the song for the series From. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for joining the fun as I wrap-up one of my oldest series, good buddy. I'm glad you listened to "Lil Chanet and her sisters" sing "Que Sera, Sera" on Lawrence Welk. I never heard of From. I looked it up on IMDB and it appears to be like my kinda series, plus it is riding high with a 7.8 rating. Problem is, we don't have MGM+ and Mrs. Shady probably won't want us to spend money to watch the series. Thanks for the tip, however.

      Hope you are enjoying the summer of 2026 so far. Look for my next post on August 10. Thanks again for coming, Alex!

      Delete
  7. Hey Shady! I made it over just in time.
    I did watch The Lawrence Welk show as a little kid but I don't remember who was on there. But I did recognize some of these songs. I think my mom probably played these songs on the radio when I was little. Annette Funicello I remember of course, she was everywhere back when I was a kid.

    I hope you are having a good Summer. It's just hot and this week was humid here. Bring back the dry heat here in Vegas. lol Falcor says, hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary & Falcor!

      I'm delighted to see you both, dear friends! Thanks for taking a peek at the post as I present the final episode of That Was Then - This Is Now, a series comparing the dress codes, song material and performing styles of female artists past and present. I ran out of modern material and so I created a grand finale with 10 old gold girl solo and girl group sounds.

      It surprises me that you watched Lawrence Welk at a very early age, same as I did. My folks tied me to a chair and forced me to watch. :) I'm glad your mother exposed you to some of these recordings by popular (and some more obscure) female performers of the era. Annette certainly was ubiquitous back then. She was the breakout star of The Mickey Mouse Club, hosted Disney specials, had her own TV series and co-starred in those jiggly beach movies.

      We are miserable here in the East with very unhealthy air quality due to Canadian wildfires. It might continue off and on for months, they say, until snow falls at the point of origin, so we are hunkering down for the duration.

      I wish you and my buddy Falcor a safe and happy weekend. Thanks again for coming, dear friend Mary, and look for me to return with my next post on August 10!

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely late on this one but still wanted to drop a note so you'd know that I had stopped by. You might already know this, but Stupid Cupid got a remake in the early 2000s when Mandy Moore performed it in The Princess Diaries. Also, I love Connie Francis. We recently watched Where the Boys Are, which is one of my favorite beach movies. I hope you're doing well and staying cool this summer, Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ashton! I'm thrilled to see you, dear friend. Thanks for coming!

      Yessum, a year or two ago, I posted the scene in which Mandy Moore performs her remake of "Stupid Cupid" in The Princess Diaries. I enjoy her version. At the peak of her career in the late 1950s through mid 60s, Connie Francis reigned as the most popular female singer in the world. Sadly, Conne died a year ago at the age of 87. "Stupid Cupid" was written by the Brill Building composing team of Howard Greenfield and Neil Sedaka. Neil, a great pop and rock & roll recording artist in his own right, was one of my musical heroes. He died back in February of this year at age 86.

      Thanks again for dropping in, dear friend Ashton. I'll be back on the 10th of August with my next post and hope to see you then!

      Delete
  9. This is the final? I wonder what you're planning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my dear Shady, this is Birgit….im sorry it took me so long to write here. I listened to all the music a few days ago and I did listen to some again. We kids ever that innocent? I think in some ways, yes, considering what kids know today but not as innocent as we’d love to believe. Those Lennon Sisters were good but. Bit too saccharine for me which is funny since Doris Day sang Que Sera, Sera. Lulu was really good in To Sir, With Love. Was she the one who danced with Poitier? Did she keep a straight face…lol. I can’t help but laugh because he dances so geeky. I love that Lulu appears on Absolutely Fabulous. I love Connie Francis and wished her life was not so tragic, but I do love her singing voice even with this rather dumb song, “Stupid Cupid”. The Shirelles are a great group and I don’t get what is so sexually charging about this song. Is it because she’s asking if she will still be loved tomorrow? Like all men will say, “Of course” and then they give them the wrong phone # before sending them on their way. Hahahaaaa….no more modern and that’s ok because some of the songs were not all that memorable..poor gals with the fake boobs and nose. I will look forward to your new endeavours. I wish you a fab week and month. I hope you are doing well and pray the orange madness will stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shady! Sorry I'm really late but life sometimes does get in the way. It's been a really crazy, weird summer here. Anyhow, I hope you're well and I'm not sure you'll even see this post from me. I love the Lennon Sisters and Lulu stole my heart in one of my favorite old movies, "To Sir With Love". Thanks for always bringing bright spots to my day with the music and fun pics and ads. Some of these days were when I was just a toddler but thank goodness for reruns and TCM! Have a good weekend Shady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shady! I am very late to this party. I LOVE these songs! I think I might have been named after 'lil Chanet'. I know I remember watching Lawrence Welk and getting excited when the Lennon Sisters came on. They all remind me of when I was growing up. Thanks for that!

    All is normal around here (or as normal as we can get in these times). Hoping you and Mrs. Shady are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind