INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Saved By the Belle - Volume 2: I'm A Fool,
Just a Silly Fool, To Be In Love With You!


COLD OPEN:
CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!


"I'm A Fool" - Dino, Desi & Billy
(July/Aug. 1965, highest chart pos. #17 Hot 100/#19 Cash Box,
scene from Christmas 1966 film Murderer's Row)

Smile and say "cheese!"
It's time to meet the micest member of
the Shady Bunch Rodentia Intelligentsia! 


 Hi, folks!  I'm... 
 Belle Rat the Dell Rat 
 ...the ladies' answer to Denny the Dell Rat. 

Welcome to my S-P-M-M radio show

 Saved by the Belle 
 The Music and Musings of 
 Belle Rat the Dell Rat 

I'm on a mission to save you from boring elevator music.
I'm no Minnie Mouse, and the tunes I play are not Mickey Mouse.
My show brings you the best and most memorable sounds
from the glory days of your boomer youth.



At the top of the show, you saw Dino, Desi & Billy perform their
biggest hit "I'm A Fool," a top 20 record in the summer of 1965.


The teenage pop trio included two kids of celebrities (above left & center).  


"Dino" was Dean Martin's son Dean Paul Martin, Jr.  "Desi" is the son of
Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz. "Billy," William Hinsche, was a schoolmate.
Dino married Olympic skater Dorothy Hamill, but tragedy struck at
age 35 when he was killed in the crash of his Air National Guard jet.





Bravo to the YouTube uploader
for doing some creative editing
and starting that video with a
scene from dad Dean Martin's
1966 Matt Helm secret agent
movie Murderers' Row co-
starring Ann-Margret. Dino,
Desi & Billy appeared in
that flick, and you saw
the real life father and
son exchange lines of 
dialogue... a great
intro for the trio's
signature song
"I'm A Fool."


 




Speaking of fools...
have you heard about
the fool on the hill?

CLICK TO
START THE
VIDEO NOW!

For starters, he has a foolish grin,
a thousand voices and nobody
seems to like him. Complete
details now in this report by
Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66!




"The Fool On The Hill" - Beatles cover by
Sergio Mendes And Brasil '66 (Sept./Oct. 1968,
highest chart pos. #6 Hot 100/#7 Cash Box)



That was Brazilian pianist
Sergio Mendes and his Latin-
styled group Brasil '66 with a
song that fell just short of the
top 5 on the U.S. chart in the
fall of 1968, a memorable cover
of "The Fool on the Hill," a song
originally released in November,
1967, on The Beatles' EP and
album Magical Mystery Tour.
Featured singers on that hit
by Brasil '66 were Lani Hall,
 who married Herb Alpert in
1973, and Karen Philipp, who
posed nude for Playboy in
1972 promoting her acting
role in season one of the
hit TV series M*A*S*H.


I have always loved The Beatles and found comfort in their songs. Up next,
one of my favorites by the Liverpudlian moptops. Paul wrote the verses
and chorus, John contributed the "Life is very short" middle. During
the recording session, George came up with the brilliant idea to
slow down the middle, making it sound like a German Waltz.
The creative use of a Salvation Army pump organ marked the
start of a series of innovative compositions and experimental
recording and sound mixing techniques in the years that followed.
Here are evolutionary, revolutionary Beatles and- "We Can Work It Out."


"We Can Work It Out" - The Beatles
(Jan./Feb. 1966, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)

Those were The Beatles performing "We Can Work It Out," a song recorded
around Halloween, 1965, during the sessions for the Rubber Soul album.
Released as a single, the song shot to the top of pop charts all around
the world in the early weeks of 1966.  "We Can Work It Out" spent
three weeks at #1 on Billboard and four weeks at #1 on Cash Box.
It was the 7th biggest selling single of the entire Sixties decade.

You're boppin' to the beat on S-P-M-M
Rat-ro Radio... the station with personality.
You've got a rat to rock, and I'm her, she's me.

Like my new poodle skirt?
 I'm runnin' down the groovy sounds of the
1950s, 60s and 70s, those Wonder Years
classics that never grow old. 



It's hard to believe there was ever a
time when most peeps in the world
had not yet heard of The Beatles.
It's equally hard to believe there
was ever a time when ABBA,
the pop group from Stockholm,
Sweden, was unknown in many
countries including the U.S.
Here's an ABBA ditty that
takes us back to that time.

START VIDEO NOW! 

Anni and Aggie wore conservative
business attire to sing one of their
catchiest and best feel good
songs-- "Ring, Ring!"



"Ring, Ring" - ABBA
(Feb./Mar. 1973, highest chart pos. #1 Denmark,
#2 Sweden, Norway, Austria & Belgium)




From early 1973, that was ABBA,
unknown in America and much
of the civilized world at the time,
but soon to become a household
name and global phenomenon.
They performed "Ring, Ring,"
the song that gave them their
first break in parts of Europe.

Hope I soon hear the ring ring
of the dinner bell... 'cause I'm
getting hangry for my cheese.
After all, I need to keep up my
strength so that can continue
to fight for your rat to party.





If you're just tuning in, I'm
your Hostess With the Mostest...
Belle of the ball, leader of the pack,
queen of the Rodentia Intelligentsia...

 Belle Rat 
 the Dell Rat 

... the micest member of the
Shady Bunch deejay team.
Far from mousy, I'm the
pick of the litter - the
prettiest, perkiest and
 most personable
member of the
Rat Pack.


I'm playing the best tunes in town and telling my rat tails tales
here on S-P-M-M Rat-ro-sonic Radio. My show is called

 Saved by the Belle 

and we're right in the middle of a 7-in-a-row cheddar cheese block party,
so let's get back to the songs from the soundtrack of our boomer youth.

How about a little bubblegum to go with your pop? I've got just the thing.
Here are Tommy James And The Shondells with their breakthrough hit,
a chart-topper in the summer of '66-- "Hanky Panky!"



"Hanky Panky" - Tommy James And The Shondells
(June/July 1966, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box & Canada,
dance perf. by The Action Kids on Sept. 28, 1966, ep. of Where The Action Is)







Coming in at #41 on Shady's
list of The 200 Greatest Hits
of the Shady Dell (mid 60s),
that was "Hanky Panky," the
semi dirty ditty by Tommy
James And The Shondells.
In that rare video clip, you
witnessed The Action Kids
dance troupe on Dick Clark's
TV show Where The Action Is
performing a choreographed
beach ball routine on the sand
and playing a friendly game of
dodge ball at the water's edge.





BOOTH ANNOUNCER:
IT'S A
BELLE RAT
THE DELL RAT
(ECHO CHAMBER)
DOUBLE PLAY-AY-AY-AY-AY-AY-AY 

That's right, Johnny Olson, I'm double-dippin' into
Tommy James' brand of sweet bubblegum pop.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

Hey... is that Casey Kasem?... or just a-- "Mirage"?


"Mirage" - Tommy James And The Shondells
(May/June 1967, highest chart pos. #10 Hot 100 & Cash Box,
studio dancers on American Bandstand & Shebang)

You just got hit with a double-barreled bubblegum blast from the past,
a double dose of Tommy James And The Shondells. In a split-screen special,
you heard the group perform "Mirage," their top 10 hit from the spring of 1967,
while the kids on Bandstand and Casey Kasem's Shebang danced to the beat.


Before that, Tommy and the band played their chart-topper "Hanky Panky"
on a 1966 segment of Where The Action Is taped on Malibu Beach.


RATS!!!
Shady's waving me off, so I need
to scurry on home. It's just a hole
in the wall, but the food is good.
I hope you enjoyed volume 2 of

 Saved by 
 the Belle 
 The Music and 
 Musings of 
 Belle Rat 
 the Dell Rat.  


Yay! The Shady man says I have time for one last song, and I've got a dilly,
a brilliantly restored video of Gary Puckett And The Union Gap appearing
on The Ed Sullivan Show in the spring of 1968 and introducing their new
single "Lady Willpower." It was a live performance, not lip sync, because
nervous CBS censors worried that the song's lyrics "the facts of life"
 were too dirty for the Ed Sullivan viewers and sponsors to tolerate.

 Really?   Seriously???

CBS executives asked Gary to change the line to "the way of life" and he
agreed. Gary proceeded to turn in the amazing live performance you
are about to watch.  This episode of The Ed Sullivan Show aired on
 May 12, 1968, nine days before the single was released, making
this moment in pop music history all the more special.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

Now this is Belle Rat the Dell Rat reminding you that a Dell Rat
must be brave, and a Dell Rat must behave.  See you next time!


"Lady Willpower" - Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
(June/July/Aug. 1968, highest chart pos. #1 Cash Box/#2 Hot 100,
#4 Australia/#5 UK, live perf. on May 12, 1968, ep. of The Ed Sullivan Show)




I gotta run
(because
Belle Rat's
hungry)...
but I hope
to see you
next time!

ABOUT THE ARTIST:
 Belle Rat the Dell Rat 
Artwork courtesy of my wonderful longtime friend Belle Unruh.


Born in California's Inland Empire... 


Belle moved to Canada as a teenager.


Thank you very much for contributing these delightful
"Belle Rat" drawings to Shady's Place, dear friend Belle!

SMOOCHES!

19 comments:

  1. Tom,

    I remember reading about your first act Dino, Desi, & Billy when I did a post on Dean Martin years ago. We watched a Matt Helm flick a few years ago but it was't Murderers' Row. The clip looks fun and it has one of my favorite female actresses, Ann Margaret. What a knock out of a gal!

    I have heard of Sergio Mendes Brasil 66 but I probably could tell you what they've done. I have heard their cover of the Beatles' song, The Fool On The Hill. The Beatles produced some great tracks. I wonder if "We Can Work It Out" had anything to do with their troubled relationship as a group.

    This is the first time for me to hear ABBA's break through hit, "Ring, Ring". They were such a sensational 70s band!

    Tommy James & the Shondells were a favorite from my childhood. My uncle Neal often played their music when I visited him and his wife.

    I got to see Gary Puckett when he toured with the Monkees and a few other oldie bands in the mid-80s. I hadn't planned on going because I didn't have a ticket. A guy from work who had gotten a ticket with some other friends and couldn't go, he offered the ticket to me free. I jumped at the chance. DH was out of town, so I didn't have reason to feel guilty since I only had the one ticket. It was great fun. I didn't get home until late and I remember I was dragging the next day.

    Your friend Belle draws such a cute rat. I love the pink poodle skirt on the rat!

    Great post, great music, and great fun! I'll give you the heads up that we will be out of town this weekend, so I definitely won't find any time for Blogosphere and probably won't until early Monday morning but I will swing by to check out your upcoming post asap. Have a funtastic day and thanks for dropping by today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for coming right over to claim the Early Bird crown, dear friend!

      Thanks also for letting me know that you have watched at least one other Matt Helm film and that you are an Ann-Margret fan.

      Sergio Mendes and his gals had their biggest hits with a cover of "Fool On The Hill," the song that Belle Rat played for us today, and with "The Look Of Love," a Bacharach - David song that was a hit for Dusty Springfield. The group also recorded several other Beatles covers including "All My Loving," "Day Tripper," "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Norwegian Wood," as well as covers of hits by other artists including "Monday, Monday" by the Mamas & Papas, S&G's "Scarborough Fair," Otis Redding's "Dock Of The Bay" and Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman." I read that Beatle Paul was inspired to write his portion of "We Can Work It Out" as a reference to his five-year relationship with Jane Asher which began in April, 1963.

      WOW, I am excited to learn that this is your first exposure to "Ring Ring" by ABBA! Thanks for reminiscing about your uncle Neal playing Tommy James songs when you were little.

      That was a stroke of luck to score a ticket to a concert featuring The Monkees, Gary Puckett and other 60s acts on the revival circuit.

      I'm delighted that you, a fellow artist, appreciates my friend Belle Unruh's latest version of our Belle Rat character, this time wearing a vintage 1950s pink poodle skirt.

      My next post doesn't publish until next Tuesday, so you should be in good shape. Thanks again for being the first to come over and enjoy this one. I'm thrilled that you got so much out of it. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete
    2. Tom,

      When I was a kid, homecoming week every year a day was designated as 50s day and I remember envying a girl who wore a poodle skirt. I thought that was the coolest thing!

      We got home late Saturday night, bushed but happy with our little adventure. I'll be back tomorrow if I don't forget. Have a boogietastic day, my friend!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for returning to follow-up and reminisce, dear friend!

      Yessum, I have boyhood memories of girls in the 1950s wearing those full poodle skirts. They made quite a fashion statement. Belle Rat the Dell Rat is prancing around proud as a peacock in her new hot pink poodle skirt drawn by my friend Belle up in BC, Canada.

      Yessum, so you don't forget, I hope you'll make a note to be here tamale for a special birthday celebration, one of the most important dates on the Shady Dell calendar. Thanks again for dropping by, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete
  2. Lots of good stuff in your post today, Shady! I haven't thought about Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 in ages! I really enjoyed their rendition of The Fool on the Hill.
    ~Kelly (and Pat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for taking second place in the race this week, dear friend!

      Welcome to the second platter party hosted by Belle Rat the Dell Rat. Yessum, I agree that the lovable rodent picked some great songs and videos to play for us again this time, including those rare split screen vids with footage from Dick Clark's Where The Action Is, Bandstand and Casey Kasem's Bandstand spin-off Shebang!

      I have always enjoyed the cool, laid-back sounds of Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66, especially on their two big hits, the top 10 charting covers of "Fool On The Hill" and "The Look of Love."

      Thanks again for coming over and bringing my buddy Pat to visit Belle Rat. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shady, I appreciate you using my artwork and my name on your wonderful blog! You have been a good friend to me for many years. I loved Dino, Desi & Billy back when I was 15. "I'm A Fool," was a favorite. It was fun seeing them sing it in Dean Martin's movie. My mom took us to all his movies and we loved them. Of course, they are very dated now, but back in the day they were a lot of fun. Ann-Margaret was a favorite of almost everyone back then. I was happy when she starred in the "Grumpy Old Men" movies. Still beautiful.

    I remember "The Fool on the Hill" being sung by Sergio Mendes & Brasil. I thought they did a great job. I like the way they sped up the tempo. I also read the song, "We Can Work it Out," was written for Jane Asher, Paul's girlfriend at the time. She was lovely looking and later starred in a soap opera in England. I read an article about her and she had contracted a chronic illness. I don't remember what it was and I don't know why she broke up with Paul. she seems like a really nice person.

    I'm another one who heard, "Ring, Ring," here for the first time. They were one of my favorite bands. I used to dance to their music when the kids were in school. Lol. "Hanky Panky," was extremely popular in California. It came on the radio constantly and I loved it. But I don't remember hearing, "Mirage," before. It was good to see diversity and inclusion on the Dick Clark Show.

    It was surprising how good the sound was on the Ed Sullivan show when Gary Puckett and the Union Gap sang, "Lady Willpower" live on stage. It sounded just like the record. Gary has quite the voice. I always wanted to go see the old bands on tour but alas, we couldn't afford it. I can always go to youtube though, which is such a treat.

    Well, thanks again for a fun trip to the past hearing songs that make us all happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Belle!

      I'm very happy to see you, dear friend! Thanks for coming to see which items are on the musical menu as Belle Rat the Dell Rat presents the second show in her Shady's Place series Saved By The Belle.

      I am very grateful to you for working long and hard to refine the poodle skirt outfit for our beloved rat character. Now Belle Rat's all gussied up for the spring and summer seasons and looking proud as a peacock. As you can see, the pink skirt looks great against the teal background of the text field and also pops against the brown in the sidebar. Well done, dear sweet friend!

      I'm happy to know that you remember "I'm A Fool," the signature song of the teenage trio Dino, Desi & Billy. Those celebrity kids were incredibly young when they recorded that song and started performing it on TV. This is actually their second single. They released their debut single "Since You Broke My Heart" in November of 1964 when they were practically children. "I'm A Fool" was recorded in early 1965 and released in May that year. The movie Murderers Row wasn't released until Christmas time 1966, so the boys were substantially older by the time they appeared in that Dean Martin comedy "spy-fi" film. "Spy-fi" is a classification used to indicate elements of science fiction present in a film of the spy genre. Can you believe that Ann-Margret Olsson will be 82 years old a couple of weeks from now? I liked her in the 1971 Mike Nichols film Carnal Knowledge which also stars Jack Nicholson, Candice Bergen and Art Garfunkel.

      I'm glad you appreciated the Beatles cover by Sergio Mendes and group. It made a favorable impression on me at the time of its release, and yet I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have posted it on either of my blogs. Thanks for filling in more details about "We Can Work It Out." I read that Jane was only 17 years old when she and Paul met and began a five year relationship. Paul lived at her folks' house for three years until he and Jane moved into his house in 1966. Wiki says that in addition to "We Can Work It Out," Jane was the inspiration behind several other Beatles songs penned by Paul, including including "And I Love Her," "You Won't See Me," "I'm Looking Through You," "What You’re Doing," "For No One" and "Martha My Dear."

      (Reply continued in next box.)

      Delete
    2. I am very surprised that you and Cathy never heard "Ring Ring" before today. I have known the song ever since the mid 70s when ABBA rose to worldwide popularity. I was so captivated by the Swedish quartet that I quickly became familiar with their catalog and followed every new release from then on.

      How about those custom made split screen videos with The Shondells? They were produced by a YouTuber who also happens to be Canadian. He (Kelly) has been turning out restored live performance clips and creative remixes right and left. In the one split-screen special he uploaded, you get to see the gang on Casey Kasem's Shebang! show which was also based in LA. Many of the same studio dancers that were regulars on Bandstand also danced on Casey's Shebang! (I place an exclamation point on the end because that is how the name of the show was spelled.) I read that black kids were turned away from Bandstand when the show was based in Philadelphia, but it was integrated by the time it moved to LA. The best known black studio dancer on Bandstand LA was Steve "Famous" Hooks who was a regular from 1965 to 1971, even after he exceeded the age limit for the show.

      Again, we have our friend Kelly in Canada to thank for remixing that live Gary Puckett performance and bringing it to life like never before in brilliant stereo. It is truly a thrilling experience to see and hear Gary and the Union Gap performing a song that was destined to become one of their greatest hits and doing so nine days before the record was even released, and to have it seem like that episode of The Ed Sullivan Show was taped only yesterday instead of 55 years ago.

      I'm delighted that the assortment of songs picked by Belle Rat made you happy. Thank you again for dropping by and for your tremendous contributions to the series and to the blog. Stay well and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Belle!

      Delete
  4. As I listen to CNN, they are talking bout their crackdown on the rat population. I love the pictures here of Wilber and Eunice..they are well done!
    That is quite the video with Dino and Kitten With a Whip, Ann-Margrock. I enjoyed listening to it and watch it.
    I never heard this Beatles tune before but it was enjoyable as well as that iconic Beatles tune that follows..I love that one.
    Oh..you have me with ABBA..This is a fun song and really shows how well their voices mesh. Gotta love their outfits and that guitar!
    Love Hanky Panky..in more ways than one but I can think of other balls to play with than volleyballs.
    I enjoyed listening to all of these songs and just love that last one. I love watching the videos and wonder what happened to so many of these young people tht are now over 70.
    Have a beautiful day and week..Harley is sleeping and dreaming of a nice bone to chew on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      Thanks for coming down to see what Belle Rat the Dell Rat is up to, dear friend!

      Ann-Margret turns 82 this month, BB, can you believe it? Critics call Viva Las Vegas (1964) one of the best Elvis Presley films primarily due to the palpable chemistry between The Pelvis and Ann.

      Golly, you never heard "The Fool On The Hill" before? The song was originally released on a Beatles EP and on their Magical Mystery Tour album, an essential song set for any Beatles fan.

      I trust that you were already familiar with "Ring Ring" as you came through the door this morning. Surprisingly, a couple of other friends had never heard the ABBA song before. It is fascinating how we all have blind spots, going through life never knowing about certain works that others have known about and loved all their lives.

      How about those split-screen specials? On "Hanky Panky," your neighbor, fellow Canadian Kelly (the YouTube uploader) used a rare clip of a dance routine and beach frolic by The Action Kids on Where The Action is and combined it with a performance video of Tommy James and his band doing the same song. In Kelly's second split-screen hybrid, you get to watch the studio dancers on two LA-based TV music shows, American Bandstand and Casey Kasem's Shebang! What a sight and sound blitz! Keep in mind that while some of those teenage dancers are now in their 70s, many others are dead and gone. Some of the young men were killed in action a few years later in Nam.

      Yessum, the last video, with Gary Puckett And The Union Gap introducing their new and at the time unreleased single, "Lady Willpower," is truly the gem of the whole bunch. Can you believe that the Ed Sullivan censors wouldn't allow Gary to sing the words "the facts of life" on television, suggesting that the phrase was too dirty and suggestive for the great Silent Majority of Americans to tolerate? (...and forcing Gary to substitute the words "milk and cookies :) I suppose those same suits would insist on canceling the family friendly Facts of Life sitcom. Needless to say, gangsta rap was still light years away.

      I wish my buddy Harley a nice nap and I thank you very much for your kind visit and comment. I'm very happy that you liked the song selections in Belle Rat's second show. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend BB!

      Delete
  5. Good morning Shady and that's one rodent I can love! Belle Rat had me at every tune. It brought back lots of memories of my early teens. Good times! Wasn't Sir Paul just the cutest thing back then? Dino, Desi, and Billy looked like babies! I remember that part of the movie so I' m not sure if I actually saw the whole movie or did you run that clip before? Anyway, it was so fun to watch. I bet Ann Margaret wishes she could rock a move like that now! Don't we all wish we could?? So sad about Dino. I know that devastated his Dad, Dean Martin. So thanks again for the memories and fun clips. I enjoyed watching the action kids dancing on what looked like a cold beach! Oh how I wanted to be a California girl back then! Have a good rest of the week and then the weekend ahead. We're having fabulous weather up here and I'm heading out to my garden of weedin again! Take care Shady and Belle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      How are things in the Garden of Weedin', dear friend? :) Thanks for tuning in show #2 hosted by Belle Rat the Dell Rat!

      I knew this set of songs paw-picked by Belle Rat would be right up your alley. This is the kind of music you can expect to hear on her show, hits from the boomer years presented in remastered stereo, and vintage 1960s live performances delighting your eyes with HD quality upscaled video clarity.

      Factoid: I was often mistaken for Beatle Paul and needed to fight them off :) Yessum, there were several successful vocal groups of the 1950s with very young lead singers, and D, D & B were one of the youngest pop/rock bands of the 60s. Unless I am mistaken, I never ran that clip from Murderers Row before. I am pretty sure I would have remembered.

      Yessum, come to think of it, The Action Kids and the group of people gathered to watch them were wearing sweatshirts and other cover, and it looked like a chilly day on Malibu Beach as they performed a choreographed beach ball dance at the water's edge. That episode aired in late September but was probably shot months earlier, perhaps in early spring when it was still nippy.

      I'm delighted that your weather is fine up in Ashland. Get out there and enjoy it, and be sure to take my sweetie pie Annabelle for a stroll to see the alpaca. I'm so glad you enjoyed what Belle Rat had to offer today. Stay tuned for Vol. 3 of her series coming soon. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend YaYa!

      Delete
  6. Oh my! I had such a crush on Dino Martin (his dad's not that bad looking either!) I am sure I had a poster of him on my bedroom wall as a teen.

    While I'm not so keen on rats, especially when we find dead ones around the garage left by the stray cat that my hubby feeds, these drawings are very cute. I love the ones in the poodle skirt.

    Enjoyed the Sergio Mendes song and the others as well. It was fun to go down memory lane today dear friend, Shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      I'm delighted to see you, dear friend! Thanks for making the scene at Shady's Place where your friend and mine, Belle Rat the Dell Rat, is hosting her second show on SPMM Retrosonic Radio and sporting her brand new poodle skirt. My Canadian artist friend Belle will be pleased to know that you like the pretty outfit she put on our lovable rat character.

      You are the first person I have encountered who had a crush on Dino Jr. If you could find that old poster of him it would surely be worth some money if you sold it on Etsy or eBay.

      Several other friends have reacted favorably to the Sergio Mendes cover and the other songs on Belle Rat's show #2 playlist. I'm happy that you enjoyed the musical lineup as well.

      Thanks again for swinging by and for being a supportive friend in the midst of your hectic A to Z month. Enjoy the rest of your day out on the coast, dear friend Janet. I'll be back over to see you at Janet's Smiles again tomorrow!

      Delete
  7. I love the Belle Rat drawings. They are great. I think I liked the rat more than the music this week. lol
    I know The Beatles and Abba but that's all.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary!

      It's great to see you, dear friend! Unfortunately, the gremlins are back from their Easter break. They swiped your comment and hid it in my spam folder. I found it a couple hours after you submitted it. I'm so sorry!

      Yessum, I know that you love rats, and I hoped you would appreciate the artwork sent in by my longtime Canadian friend Belle Unruh. I'm so glad you like her drawings of our character Belle Rat the Dell Rat. It doesn't bother me at all that you like the artwork more than the music. At Shady's Place, you can always count on treats for the eyes and well as the ears, something for nearly every taste. I know you like your music harder and heavier than this, and there will be more of that style coming up as the year unfolds.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Mary. Please stay safe and take good care of my buddy Falcor. I'll be back over to see you on the weekend!

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of mice but boy these are adorable ones. Amazing how music transcends generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lux!

      I'm excited to see you, dear friend! Your comment was removed to the spam folder. Fortunately, I discovered it and got it published. Welcome back to Shady's Place!

      Thanks for tuning in the second radio show presented by Belle Rat, the wonderful character created by my Canadian artist friend Belle Unruh. I'm glad you like the illustrations and Belle Rat's music lineup.

      Thanks again for dropping by, dear friend Lux, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind