INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Batteries Not Included! "My Living Doll" - RoboGirl AIDA -
Returns to Host Part Two of 2022: Year of the Dell Rat!


MEN ARE WEAK.
WOMEN ARE STRONG!

MEN ARE WEAK.
WOMEN ARE STRONG!

MEN ARE WEAK.
WOMEN ARE STRONG!

MEN
ARE WEAK.
WOMEN ARE
STRONG!

MEN
ARE WEAK.
WOMEN
ARE STRONG!

MEN ARE WEAK.
WOMEN ARE STRONG!





Greetings, flesh and blood human,
and happy new year 2022. You
caught me in the middle of my
morning reboot. As you recall
from my previous appearances,
I am AIDA - an acronym for
Artificial Intelligent Digital
Assistant. Furthermore I am
an LMD (Life Model Decoy).
On my TV series Marvel's
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I
preside over a virtual reality
called The Framework. In this
realm, I control the vertical.
I control the horizontal.
I control you.



My circuitry is tingling because Shady Del Knight has
selected me to become a full time DJ on S-P-M-M
radio in 2022. I will be hosting a show called
AIDA's Altered State.


Each time you join me I will transport you inside The Framework. It is there
that I will play music for your enjoyment. You will sing, dance and have fun...
whether you like it or not. You have no choice. Disobey and you will be
destroyed. Nothing personal, but yes, I will be forced to eliminate you.



I command you to join me now for part
two of Shady's new year extravaganza.
You already met three very important
people - me, myself and I. Now you
will meet four more new members
of the DJ squadron. Each of us will
play samples from our upcoming
radio programs. Tonight we are
going to party like it is 1999.

You are quite familiar with my mantra:
"Men are weak. Women are strong." I used
my considerable powers of persuasion to
convince Mr. Knight that his Shady Bunch
needs more females. Without hesitation he
added me, AIDA, plus three other strong
women.  I will return later to play samples
from my show, but first you will meet the
other three new members of the crew.


Please welcome Eddie's girlfriend on the ABC TV series
The Kids Are Alright-- Miss Wendi Falkenberry!

Thank you so much, AIDA, and hello and
happy new year to all of you out there!
I'm excited to be back at Shady's Place
and ready to start my job as a full time DJ.
My show will be called Wordless Wendi
because it'll offer more music with less talk.

START VIDEO NOW!

As you recall I'm just an average teenager
growing up in suburban LA at the dawn
of the 70s. Disco is still in the future, and
that's why I'll be playing the sounds of
the 60s with emphasis on the Southern
California surf, sun and hot rod culture.
When it comes to songs that celebrate
the laid back SoCal lifestyle, nobody
does it better than The Beach Boys,
and here they are now with a song
written by Brian Wilson and
Mike Love-- California Girls!"


"California Girls" - The Beach Boys
(July/Aug. 1965, highest chart pos. #3 Hot 100 & Cash Box,
perf. on 1965 TV special The Jack Benny Hour)






You just heard the sweet sound of America's
Beach Boys with their top 3 hit from the
summer of 1965, singing the praises of
"California Girls." That does it for this
California girl. Please join me later this
year for more great 60s sounds when
my new radio show, Wordless Wendi,
premieres here at Shady's Place!

Now please welcome our next special guest.
You know her as a skilled level III investigator
on the hit TV series CSI: Las Vegas. This year
she joins The Shady Bunch as host of her own
show on S-P-M-M. Say hello to a really nice
lady and my new friend-- Morgan Brody!






Thank you, Wendi! I'm excited to be
on board as a member of Shady Del
Knight's deejay team. The name of
my new S-P-M-M radio show is
CSI: Cool Song Investigation.
I'll be searching high and low to
find the grooviest tunes of the 20th
and 21st centuries, like this one.

START VIDEO NOW!

Here's British singer John Parr
with the Grammy nominated
theme song from the hit 1985
Brat Pack movie "St. Elmo's
Fire (Man In Motion)!" 

"St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" - John Parr
(Aug./Sept. 1985, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box,
from OST of 1985 film St. Elmo's Fire


I always follow the evidence. In this
case, the evidence clearly shows that
the sound you just heard is way hip.
From the tail end of summer, 1985,
 that was John Parr with his chart-
topping international hit and the
theme from one of the coolest
movies ever - St. Elmo's Fire.

If you enjoyed that one, then
please join me, Morgan Brody,
as I rummage thru the vaults
 and dig up groovy sounds of
the past on my new radio show
CSI: Cool Song investigation
beginning later this year on
S-P-M-M. Now it's time to
hear from one of the stars of
the hit DC Comics superhero
TV series The Flash. She's
Barry Allen's better half--
Iris West!





Thank you, Morgan, and happy new year
to the friends and followers of Shady's
Place! I'm very happy to tell you about
my new show which starts this year
here on S-P-M-M Retrosonic Radio.
It's called Flash Back with Iris West.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!


My show will feature the best of R&B, urban club dance and smooth
grooves, and I've got a sample of what you will see as well as hear.
In 1970, Diana Ross left her enormously popular girl group
The Supremes and established a solo career performing
easy listening pop ballads. In the late 70s and 80s,
Lady Di flexed her muscles and gained new fans
by recording edgy urban club material. Here now
is Diana with one of her biggest hit singles
and videos of the period-- "Muscles!"


"Muscles" - Diana Ross
(Oct. 1982, highest chart pos. #10 Hot 100,
#7 Cash Box/#4 Billboard Soul)


From the fall of 1982, that was Diana Ross
and her top 10 hit single "Muscles," written
and produced by Michael Jackson.

Please join me for my first full show when
Flash Back with Iris West debuts later
this year. Now I'd like to introduce one
of my colleagues in the DC Universe.
She's the perky, quirky, likable and
lovable new cast member on DC's
Legends of Tomorrow- Mona Wu!




Thank you very much, Iris. I hope you
and Barry stick together. He's a keeper.
Hello and happy new year to all of you
listeners out there! As you recall, I am
a young woman obsessed with fantasy
novels, an expert on magical creatures
and incurably romantic. I even fell
in love with a wolfman. I enjoyed
working at the Time Bureau, but
now I've got the best job in the
world... the greatest job in the
whole universe. I'm a DJ on
S-P-M-M! My new show,
coming in 2022, is called
Something Old,
Something New,
Something Happy,
Mona Wu.


 The songs I'll be playing on my show are hand picked by me to make you happy,
make you smile, lift you up and never let you down. Here's a sample.

CLICK TO START VIDEO NOW!

From the folk rock and psychedelic sunshine pop group
The Mamas & the Papas, it's Mama Cass Elliot with
one of her solo hits-- "It's Getting Better!"


"It's Getting Better" - Mama Cass
(Aug. 1969, highest chart pos. #13 Adult Contemporary,
#30 Hot 100/#35 Cash Box)

You just listened to a song penned by Brill Building
veterans Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Mama Cass
singing "It's Getting Better (growing stronger,
warm and wilder)," a sunshine pop ditty
that approached the top 10 on the
Adult Contemporary chart
in the summer of '69.

If you enjoyed that song then please join me
later this year when I return with a full slate
of sunshiny songs on my S-P-M-M show
 Something Old, Something New,
Something Happy, Mona Wu.
Now back to the mistress of ceremonies
for today's segment, that mischievous
mechanical marvel-- AIDA!


I have returned. While the others were playing their songs for you,
I traveled around the world and across the universe in search of
the finest entertainers of all time. I found for you a dynamic duo.
They are members of the world's greatest band, The Beatles!
I am proud to present-- Paul McCartney and John Lennon!


"Beatles Acoustic Medley"
- Stevie Riks (Dec. 2017)


CLICK TO START VIDEO NOW!

More now from the legendary singing and songwriting team of
Lennon and McCartney as they bring you a singalong medley
they recorded a couple of weeks ago at Christmas.


"The Beatles at Christmas (Singalong Medley)"
- Stevie Riks (Dec. 2018)






I tricked you, silly mortal. You see,
all is not what it seems here inside
The Framework. Those were not
The Beatles after all. Lennon and
McCartney were both portrayed
by the same man, Stevie Riks,
an English singer, musician,
comedian and impressionist.
Riks refers to himself as
"The One-Man Beatles."

Don't you feel foolish now
that I so artfully deceived
you? If I were programmed
to laugh... I surely would.





I hope you enjoyed my samples.
I shall return in the not too distant future
to place you inside The Framework where
you will sing, dance and have fun - or else!


I have you under surveillance.
Therefore you will remain
exactly where you are
until we meet again.


On behalf of my four strong female
friends, Wendi Falkenberry, Morgan
Brody, Iris West and Mona Wu,
this is mistress AIDA, your
Energizer Playboy bunny, your
futuristic faux femme fatale,
bidding you farewell. You will
join me later this year for a mind-
boggling experience, the official
debut of my new S-P-M-M radio
program, AIDA's Altered State

CLICK TO START
VIDEO NOW!

And if you think you won't get fooled
again, think twice. In The Framework
anything can happen and usually does.
Now I must halt and catch fire.
Farewell, human!


"Won't Get Fooled Again"
(theme from TV series CSI: Miami)  - The Who

27 comments:

  1. Tom,

    Your first two songs in today's line-up I know well. I was surprised that I was not familiar at all with Diana Ross' "Muscles". 1982 was an exciting year for Knoxvillians, as we hosted the World's Fair bringing visitors from the globe into our fair city. It was sad to see the fair come to an end in October of that year. I was in college but I mystified why this song didn't make it to my ears. Surely, I heard it on the radio. Steve Riks is such a great Beatles impersonator. I remember you featuring him in the past so it was a lot of fun to see these two videos this morning making me grin ear to ear. The facial expressions for both Paul and John are spot on! Thanks for the fabulous mid-week entertainment. Before I scoot, I wanted to ask you to remember our daughter in Maine in your prayers. She has Covid again. You might recall she had in November 2020. I'm gonna skip off here for now. Thanks for visiting this morning. Have a wonderful Wild Wednesday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Happy New Year Part 2, dear friend! :) Thanks for being the Early Bird yet again.

      Yessum, I thought for sure you would remember the big Diana Ross hit "Muscles" and it's popular MTV/Vh1 music video. Negatory, dear friend. I was not one of the bodybuilders posing with Diana in that vid! :) Thanks for the tidbit about Knoxville hosting the World's Fair around the same time that Diana's song and video were riding high.

      Yessum, in the past I have posted videos by Beatles impressionist Stevie Riks. As I listened to those two video medleys, I actually enjoyed Stevie's renditions of a few of those songs, especially "I'll Be Back," a John Lennon song from A Hard Day's Night.

      Oh NO, Cathy! I'm so sorry to learn that your daughter in Maine has come down with COVID for a second time. What a dreadful way to start a new year! I hope it's a milder case this time induced by the variant. Yessum, I will certainly keep her in my prayers. Keep us posted on how's she's doing.

      I hope you will stay safe and healthy the rest of the week, although you probably won't be very happy. I'll see you tomorrow, dear friend Cathy.

      Delete
    2. Good-morning, Tom!

      It has been a wild beginning to 2022. We're bracing for another round of cold and snow which is expected to move into our area around noon. The temps are forecast to drop into the low teens tonight and tomorrow night. That's not going to be fun.

      Thanks for your concerns and prayers for my family. As I reported today, DD#2's Covid symptoms aren't as bad as the first time. She's actually able to respond to my texts this time whereas the first time they never got answered. Then last night's auto accident with DD#1 and her little girl left us rattled despite knowing they were okay physically. Hopefully, I can get some answers today. Let's hope things calm down.

      Thanks for stopping by this morning for a visit, my friend!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Cathy!

      I hope it doesn't come to you and DH having to huddle together under blankets for warmth again as you endure another power outage. It was quite cold here overnight, and I suspect we'll be getting a reinforcing cold front from the storm that's set to hit the Knoxville area.

      Yessum, I hope you can get some answers about what happened with DD#1 and LA last night. I'm thinking there might have been a patch of ice on the road from the previous storm, but that's only a guess. I hope you daughter can frame it with LA that she is "a big, brave girl" as she recovers from what must have been a traumatic experience for her. I remember being in my brother's car at age 5 when it was struck by another vehicle. Fortunately no one was injured in that crash.

      Yessum, let us hope that 2022 settles down now and lets you and you family have some peace. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete
    4. Tom,

      We got about an inch of snow from the system that came in Thursday. Our temps did drop to 20º but that's better than the forecast of 13º. It was terribly cold all day yesterday and the bitter temps dropped into the teens last night. Thankfully today, we have plenty of sunshine. I think it may get up to the mid-40s. That'll feel like a heat wave.

      I learned from DD#1 the reason behind her accident. To avoid a head on collusion from an on-coming vehicle who wanted to be in her lane, she yanked the wheel instinctively forcing her off the road into a pole. She was 30mph and while that isn't fast we know it doesn't take much speed to cause a lot of damage when you hit something that isn't moving. The other driver didn't even stop. Shame on him/her! Her airbag deployed in her steering wheel leaving her chest and shoulder really sore. Her knee slammed into the dash was sore and swollen. The paramedic suspects something loose flew up, like LA's sippy cup, striking her just above her left eye causing the gash. However they are okay and the damage to the car seems minimal. It's driveable, the passenger front end crushed a bit, and the airbag needs fixed. It would've been lots worse. God surely had His angels over my girls.

      I'm sorry for the confusion this morning in my SS post. I didn't add the BOTB results link to the post and then I forgot to hit publish on it. *roll eyes* It's just been a wild week.

      Thanks for swinging by bright and early this morning, my friend. Have a songsational day!

      Delete
    5. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for explaining the circumstances of your daughter's accident. I am very thankful that she was going slowly and that she was not at fault. I can see how a mishap of that kind could happen. I have often jerked the wheel to avoid a rabbit or squirrel running across the road and nearly went into a ditch. Yessum, the angels were indeed watching over your loved ones.

      Congratulations again on staging a perfect BOTB match. I liked both female singers equally and I'm pleased the contest ended in a tie.

      Enjoy the rest of your weekend, dear friend Cathy, and please join me for "Helen & John Week" which starts tamale!

      Delete
  2. She's a tricky little minx.
    St. Elmo's Fire is giving me weird flashbacks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!

      Thanks for coming by to join AIDA inside The Framework, good buddy! Please remember AIDA's words of wisdom: Men are weak - women are strong.

      Yessum, Mrs. Shady and I watched the season premiere of 9-1-1 Lone Star last night and also saw Rob Lowe in a TV commercial. I swear the guy still looks like he did when he was with the Brat Pack in the 80s! Must be the hair and skin products. :)

      Thanks again for joining the fun, good buddy Alex!

      Delete
  3. AIDA is quite a character with a bit of an ego! Three important people: "Me, myself, and I." Very funny! But if she's going to make any friends, she'd better learn a little humility. LOL!

    I hope you have a very happy, healthy 2022! Wishing you and the Mrs. all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry!

      I'm excited to see you, dear friend! Thanks for dropping in to see what mischief AIDA is up to. Yessum, AIDA is bold and confident and used to having her own way. Inside The Framework, we mere mortals are nothing more than toys and pawns. We exist only for her amusement.

      Thanks again for dropping in and spreading new year cheer, dear friend Sherry. I wish you and your family all the best in 2022!

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten about that song from St. Elmo's Fire. There has been some really good music over the years from movies and television shows. I've never watched any of the CSI franchise and I like this Who song. Along the same line of tv program, I'm particularly fond of the Law & Order theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      I hope you and my buddy Pat are enjoying the first week of '22, dear friend. Thanks for coming early to sample songs and get some giggles from AIDA and Stevie Riks. Knowing that you dislike most Beatles covers, that's AOK, because Stevie's imitation Beatles medleys are played mostly for laughs.

      I'm pleased that Morgan Brody picked a song you like but haven't heard in a while. That John Parr video was played heavily on the MTV style station where I worked at the time. As I was telling Alex (above), Rob Lowe still looks like an 80s Brat Packer all these years later. We watch him as the star of 9-1-1 Lone Star, a fire and rescue series set in Austin, TX. Mrs. Shady is hooked on all of the CSI series and on Law & Order. She watches L&O reruns practically every evening on the We channel. My favorite characters on that series are Jerry Orbach's Lennie Briscoe and Dennis Farina's Joe Fontana.

      Thanks again for being here for the Part 2 conclusion of my year-opening series. In my next post this Sunday, you will meet a young lady whom I think is a very talented singer. Have a nice day and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
  5. You have some STRONG women on here today, Shady! AIDA kind of scares the bejeebers out of me, but I plan to find a way to stay on her good digital side. Hope there is one.

    Your 2022 line up of tunes will be fantastic with the team you've put together. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl-Lee!

      Thanks for reporting in, dear friend, and happy new year to you!

      Yessum, as long as you sing, dance and have fun, you have nothing to fear from AIDA. If you resist, however, you must be destroyed. :)

      Yessum, the Shady Bunch is growing by leaps and bounds, with new radio and TV celebrities taking their places behind the microphone and hosting radio shows on SPMM. Wordless Wendi offers the best of the Beach Boys and other pop and rock bands of the 60s and early 70s. Morgan's got the coolest tunes around, Iris has the R&B club scene covered and, with AIDA, anything can happen and usually does. I hope you have fun checking in throughout the coming year.

      Thank you again for your continued friendship and support, dear friend Cheryl-Lee. I hope 2022 is the best ever for you and your loved ones!

      Delete
  6. I definitely remember AIDA. The show never should have ended so soon. I definitely don't want to go in the Framework though.

    I love The Beach Boys. They have some great songs.

    St Elmo's Fire is such a good song.

    CSI was another great show that ended far too early.

    Diana Ross was huge back in the 80's. She has a great voice.

    I don't know Mama Cass. I hadn't heard that song before.

    I hadn't heard the Beatles Acoustic Medley before but he did a good job on that and the other song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary!

      Thanks for coming by, dear friend! Your friend and mine, AIDA from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., welcomes you to another sneak preview of new shows premiering this year on SPMM radio, including her own show AIDA's Altered State. A great time will be had by all... or else!

      Yessum, I especially agree with you about CSI Las Vegas. It was a TV institution, an iconic franchise, and should not have been taken off the air. Heck, they could just keep bringing in fresh cast members like they had been doing through the years, and you and I and millions of other fans would have kept watching. A scripted drama with a large cast that included several veteran stars probably became too costly to produce compared to those silly reality, game and talent shows that now flood the airwaves. The steady decline of high quality scripted TV series in recent years is a disturbing trend.

      I'm pleased that you know and like The Beach Boys, the theme from "St. Elmo's Fire" and Diana Ross. I'm happy to introduce you to Mama Cass from The Mamas And The Papas (your mother would know who she is) and Beatles imitator Stevie Riks, not to be confused with Stevie Nicks. :)

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Mary. Please give my buddy Falcor a pat on the noggin and a treat and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  7. The Beach Boys are always great even when one looks like Capt. Highliner or as I call him, Highgrinder. I always enjoys them and I love Jack Benny and Bob Hope ready to go surfin’. They always make me laugh.

    I have to laugh at the major hair from St. Elmo’s Fire which I have yet to see starring the Brat Pack but the song is a classic. Who doesn’t love Cass Elliott and her sweet voice plus love the quick image of her as Witchipoo from H & R Puffnstuff. What? No muscles from Brussels? Oh well, I never heard of that song but love Buster Keaton in the clip. I was never into men who look like they are all muscle...actually, it’s a turn off for me but I do like mussels in a nice white wine sauce.

    The guy doing his McCartney/Lennon impression is quite good if not just a bit freaky. Ahh yes, Miami and the pasty white guy who always has a quip before taking his sunglasses off thinking he is cool. I liked the one with Gary Sinese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      Thanks for being a Day 1 Daisy, dear friend! AIDA welcomes you into her lair, The Framework, where pranks and dirty tricks abound and you cannot always trust your eyes and ears. (Sounds like I'm describing today's political landscape.)

      Yessum, Pt. 2 of my New Year's bash is a star-studded affair. Hope and Benny appear with The Beach Boys, and Diana Ross appears with the Muscle Beach boys.

      (BA-DUM-BUMP) "But I wanna tell ya..." (Bob Hope reference)

      Actually, BB, (true story alert), I auditioned for a part as one of those bodybuilders rolling around in bed with Diana, but the producers rejected me. They conducted a "posedown," and when they saw my pumped-up, oiled and incredibly ripped physique, they feared I would make the other male models look like 90 pound weaklings. Therefore, I failed to land the job. Shucks, seems I'm not your type either, seeing as how I am such a bulked-up, hulked-up Adonis. :) Why, I'll have you know that I once kicked sand in Arnold Schwarzenegger's face at the beach. :)

      We also get glimpses of Buster Keaton in this special sneak preview of coming attractions, and Bob Cummings and Julie Newmar appear in the banner at the top of the post. I was a regular viewer of the TV series My Living Doll and also of The Bob Cummings Show aka Love That Bob.

      Then you've got Rob Lowe and the Brat Packers. Last night Mrs. Shady and I watched the season premiere of Rob's TV rescue drama 9-1-1 Lone Star. The writers have made it a 'thing" for the other characters to poke fun at Rob's character for being obsessed with hair and skin products. He still looks remarkable youthful compared to some of the other cast members of St. Elmo's Fire.

      Glad you watched and enjoyed the Cass Elliot video, one of those recently released "enhanced" productions that remix and remaster the original sound and put together a colorful slideshow of vintage images. They're tops! I'm also happy that you appreciate the creepy imitations of The Beatles performed by British comic Stevie Ricks. His videos are tailor made for AIDA's shows.

      Wow, you touched all the bases, dearie, even mentioning the showender video showing "carrot top" David Caruso as Lt.Horatio Caine in the opening title sequence of his hit spin-off series CSI: Miami. Mrs. Shady loves to watch him, and she is also working her way through Morgan Brody's series, the original CSI Vegas, for the umpteenth time.

      Thank you again, very much, for coming to play today, dear friend BB. Enjoy the rest of your week and I'll see you tamale at BBC!

      Delete
  8. Oh Shady, I'm late and I even checked in around 3am to see if you'd posted! Ha! I was having a "I can't sleep night"! Anyway, I'm so glad I came in now and enjoyed so many of my favorite tunes from my youth when being a California girl was my dream...even if I did live in Chicago! I went to California on a family trip in
    '66. My Dad declared there would be no way he'd raise his kids out there! Yes, the culture of the 60's in California didn't bode well I guess! Anyway, seeing the brat pack in their youth was fun. I've always liked that song. Some of the cast haven't aged at all..Andie MacDowell is still a beauty and I'm guessing the Adkins diet is keep Rob Lowe in good shape! The only song I didn't know was Diana Ross's number. I hate to throw cold water on the trick but I wasn't fooled at all by the tribute Beatles group..although they were good! But I grew up with Paul and Tiger Beat so no way was I fooled! But this was super fun and the DJ's did good. Have a good rest of this week. Our temps will be falling but spirits are high here at the Pines. Take Care Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      I'm thrilled to see you, dear friend! Thanks for staying up late to visit and comment on day one of my Pt. 2 - "Batteries Not Included."

      It's quite an honor knowing that when you're Sleepless in Ohio your thoughts turn to music fun and frolic to be found here at Shady's Place. I'm delighted to know that you found a lot to like in this sneak preview featuring new SPMM full time DJ hires AIDA, Wendi, Morgan, Iris and Mona.

      Did you ever think how your life would have turned out if your folks had moved the family to California? You might have wound up hanging out at clubs on the Sunset Strip like the Whisky a Go-Go and getting into all kinds of mischief. You wouldn't be you. I think your folks made the right move and that was NOT to move. How about Bob Hope and Jack Benny interrupting The Beach Boys near the end of their song to do a comedy sketch posing as a couple of surfer dude wannabes? In restored color that scene is surreal, because, as you recall, most TV shows were still presented in black & White at that time. Seeing it in color is like pulling the year 1965 forward in time a few years, making it look more like 1969 or later.

      Yessum, some Brat Packers have aged significantly over the decades, while a few remain youthful looking, like ageless wonder Rob Lowe. In the season premiere of his hit TV series 9-1-1 Lone Star, other characters joke about Rob's character's obsession with using hair product and skin creams, a running gag on the show.

      I'm surprised that you and Cathy (above) don't remember the Diana Ross solo hit song and video "Muscles." It was a biggie, penned by Michael Jackson, and played in heavy rotation on MTV, VH1 and on the music video TV station where I worked at the time.

      WHAT??? You weren't fooled by AIDA's song samples? Shucks, I'm still trying to decide whether or not those were the real Beatles. :) Yessum, that's UK comedian and "Beatles One-Man Band" Stevie Riks. I've had him on before. His whole YouTube channel is devoted to imitations and parodies of Beatles, Bee Gees and other famous bands of the 60s and 70s.

      I'm so thankful that your life has settled down in recent weeks, allowing you to get in the mood for music and fun here at Shady's Place, your oasis from life's problems. I love it when you and other friends come here and play with me.

      I see you have a Part 2 comment, and I will move to a second form to reply.

      Delete
  9. I need a P.S here Shady...I forgot to mention Cass Elliot. I loved her and her sound. She was so talented. I always felt bad for her because of her size. Back in that time someone her size was rare. Not so much today. When I worked in surgery in the 70's somebody 250lbs was considered huge. Not now. So I think she was the best in the group and that song was just a happy tune. You couldn't help but like it. Bye now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, YaYa!

      Thanks for remembering to mention Mama Cass. Mrs. Shady #1 loved her and bought all of her solo singles. You make a very good point. Seeing people Cass's size was rare at the time compared to nowadays when a much higher percentage of the population is plus size. I am reminded of the character "Kate" on the hit series This Is Us. I'm glad you singled out Cass as your favorite member of The Mamas And The Papas. Stay tuned for more of the group and Cass as a solo artist coming up in future posts.

      Thanks again for your visit and wonderful comments, dear friend YaYa! Enjoy the rest of your week, and come meet the rising singing star I will introduce this Sunday here at Shady's Place!

      Delete
  10. Funny thing about Bob Cummings. He's someone who I believe is more associated with television than with movies, yet I've never seen any of his TV shows. However, I have seen him plenty of times in movies. The Devil and Miss Jones (with Jean Arthur), King's Row (with Ronald Reagan but don't hold that against the film), Dial M for Murder (Hitchcock), Beach Party (the first Frankie and Annette movie), and several others.

    Mike Love managed to shave his beard off in record time once Bob Hope and Jack Benny showed up. Plus some sideburns disappeared. And to have Brian Wilson suddenly replace Bruce Johnston like that! (I know, I know, it's edited.) About that sketch. I thought the funniest moment, the ONLY funny moment really, was when Jack said, "I don't even know what that means!" which I'm sure was an ad lib.

    I remember the St Elmo's Fire song more than the actual movie. That's not to say the movie was bad or that I didn't enjoy it, but just that it's the song that burns in the memory.

    Funny, I don't remember that Diana Ross song, and I was listening to a lot of radio in 1982.

    Mama Cass was considered adult contemporary by 1969? That's surprising. Well, she was an adult, and, at the time, was contemporary, so maybe not surprising after all.

    Looks like there's quite a year ahead. I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for coming to the Part 2 platter party, good buddy!

      So there's Bob Cummings as promised. Thanks for remembering that he had a long list of movie credits. I saw him in Dial M and in Beach Party. I have seen The Devil in Miss Jones 136 times, but never saw The Devil and Miss Jones. :) (FACT: I am often mistaken for Harry Reems and mobbed at malls.)

      Thanks for dissecting that clip of beach bums Bob Hope and Jack Benny crashing the party as The Beach Boys sang their hit song on national TV. I agree that Benny was funniest when he appeared to be inserting an ad lib. For all we know, his remark was scripted, but he made it seem spontaneous. His shtick of looking around and off camera after delivering a punchline is a comedic trademark that always made me laugh and primed me to laugh again at his next joke. Benny and Hope are two of my all time favorites, perhaps THE top two.

      I agree that the inspiring hit theme song "Man In Motion" by John Parr is more memorable than the Brat Pack film St. Elmo's Fire.

      Good lord! Am I in The Twilight Zone? You are the third friend to tell me they don't remember that major Diana Ross hit and iconic music video "Muscles." I am genuinely shocked. Yep, that's me in the vid lounging around with Diana and my buddies. I landed the role of "buff male model #3." I'm surprised you didn't tell me which film those Buster Keaton scenes came from. I'm curious.

      Yessir, now that you have experienced Parts 1 and 2 of my New Year preview, you can see that there's fun and excitement aplenty coming up here at Shady's Place in 2022. Thanks for letting me entertain you. I appreciate that you stayed up very late on a work night to visit and comment. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, good buddy Kirk!

      Delete
  11. Oh, AIDA, you tricked me! I guess I am a silly human after all, but WOMEN ARE STILL STRONGER THAN MEN! Who would have thought that "Beatles" band was a one man show? Stevie Riks is truly talented!

    Shady, you included some of my favourite songs. "California Girls" is another summer playlist ditty as I go to the beach. Next year I really need to plan a polar plunge in Coney Island. I'll bring Tommy. He won't go into the freezing cold water, but he can always watch and cheer. :)

    Ah, Mama Cass. I always loved Mama Cass. She was my favourite in the Mamas and the Papas. California dreamin' right now...

    Happy New Year and Happy Thankful Thursday, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Jessica Marie!

      Happy Thankful Thursday to you, dear friend, and thanks for entering The Framework -- where anything goes. Just remember: the only thing you have to fear is........ AIDA herself. :)

      I'm happy to know that AIDA managed to trick at least one person, namely you. After all, she went to a heck of a lot of trouble traveling the world to find those Beatles medleys. Yessum, I've posted Stevie Riks' Beatles covers in the past. I always get a kick out of them.

      I'm delighted that the newest members of The Shady Bunch played song samples that resonate with you. I don't think I saw that 1965 Beach Boys TV performance when I was young. I was elated to find this nicely restored clip on YouTube. It includes a comedy sketch near the end featuring two of the comic giants of the mid 20th century - Bob Hope and Jack Benny - bantering with The Beach Boys. Ask your dad if he remembers Hope and Benny.

      Yessum, I can picture Tommy cheering you on as you take the polar bear plunge, no matter where you do it. With global warming, as we said before, the water temp might be so inviting that he'll hop in the water with you. :)

      Thanks for giving the nod to Mama Cass. I have at least three different DJs who will be playing the hits of the Mamas & Papas plus the solo hits of Mama Cass, so stay tuned.

      Thanks again for joining the fun. HNY and happy TT to you, dear friend JM!

      Delete
  12. Hi Shady and Ladies! As usual I'm late again, seems to be a habit of mine now. I'm never tardy or late for anything, but times have changed...too many irons in the fire.

    Sooo, Aida is a real doll and well organized. "Wordless Wendi" is a cutie and picked a great song and video to start the show rolling. "California Girls" really rocked when it came out, and brought all of our surfing dreams to the forefront! The video took an hilarious turn when Jack Benny and Bob Hope showed up! They even laughed at themselves. The Beach Boys looked handsome and healthy at that time.

    I have seen "St. Elmo's Fire" two or three times, and I love John Parr's voice, making the song a great one. This is one of my favorite songs and videos on this post!

    I don't know "Muscles" with Diana Ross. Guess I was kind of not following her career during that time. It is a beautiful video with LOTS of muscle! And poor Mama Cass with the voice of a thousand ranges! She had so much vocal power, and it is a shame we lost her so young. "It's Getting Better" is one of her tunes I remember.

    Well, I have to tell you I wasn't fooled for very long with Stevie Riks. I knew right off it wasn't Paul and John, and soon figured out it was the same guy doing the medley! Great job, thumbs up!

    I like Morgan Brody and believe she will be a great DJ. I love the CSI "Cool Song Investigation" theme! I still watch the other "CSI" frequently in syndication. I will always tap a foot or two when listening to the theme song "Won't Get Fooled Again".

    Great post Shady and girls! I apologize for being so late. I'm just grateful that I am able to stop and enjoy the great musical offerings. Take care dear friend Shady!

    ReplyDelete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind