INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thea "Queen of Clubs" Spreads Disco Love
...and Freemasons Bring the House Down!


"Disco was too great,

and too much fun,

to be gone forever!


It's got to come back someday.

I just hope it will be

in our own lifetimes."

- THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO (1998)


I'm Thea Queen aka "Speedy"


aka "Thea Queen of Clubs."

As you recall I'm Oliver Queen's kid sister
on the superhero television series Arrow.

You might remember my first rave in 2016 on Shady Dell Music & Memories.
Today I'm back to bring you a special rave featuring wall-to-wall disco.
The password to get in is Travolta, but don't be fooled. This isn't the
Saturday Night Fever stuff your granddaddy danced to. It's disco
of the 21st century - EDM - electronic dance music categorized
as Disco House. I'll be spinning a continuous mix of modern
disco ditties to keep you busy boogieing out on the floor.

READY FOR SOME DISCO LOVE ?


The English DJ duo of Russell Small and James
Wiltshire, better known as Freemasons, are
leaders of the 21st century Disco House
movement. They named their act after the
Freemasons Tavern, a favorite 19th century
Brighton pub. Freemasons produce dance
records with lead vocals by guest singers
including the ladies you are about to meet.
Let's get the disco ball rolling and begin
my rave with Brit singer Amanda Wilson
and "Love On My Mind," a retro disco
song that made a run at the UK top 10
in 2005. If the melody and some of the
lyrics sound familiar, it's because the
song samples "This Time Baby," the
1979 disco hit by Jackie Moore. Hit the 
floor as Freemasons featuring Amanda
Wilson perform-- "Love On My Mind!"

"Love On My Mind" - Freemasons ft. Amanda Wilson
(June 2005, from Shakedown, Unmixed and Shakedown 2)







Next on my turntable, The Saturdays, a five member
English-Irish girl group with a long string of electro-
pop dance hits. In the summer of 2013 the Saturdays'
retro themed single "Disco Love," written and pro-
duced by Icelandic producers StopWaitGo, peaked
at #5 on the UK chart and reached the top 10 in
Scotland, Ireland and Hungary. Any day of the
week... if you like disco... you're gonna love
The Saturdays and-- "Disco Love!"

"Disco Love" (Wideboys Remix)
 - The Saturdays (Oct. 2013 single
from album Living For the Weekend)


START VIDEO AT 1:43 MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)




Let's make a seamless segue to another cool classic
by Freemasons. "When You Touch Me" is a UK
dance floor filler that also reached #3 on the
chart in Belgium. This 'Masons mix features
the vocals of English dance music diva
Katherine Ellis. As you are about to
discover, the excitement meter is
pegged-- "When You Touch Me!"

"When You Touch Me" - Freemasons
feat. Katherine Ellis (June 2008 single
from Oct. 2007 album Unmixed)

START PLAYING VIDEO
AT 52 SEC. MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)






Haven't stopped dancin' yet... and now let's turn
a double play with two Freemasons singles in a row.
"Watchin'" is a remake of "It's Over Now," recorded
in 1998 by Canadian R&B singer Deborah Cox.
Once again the lead vocals come from the
powerful pipes of English thrush Amanda
Wilson. Released in 2006, "Watchin'"
shot to #1 on the U.S. Dance Club
chart. Let's hit the floor like
never before as Amanda
performs-- "Watchin'!"

"Watchin" - Freemasons ft. Amanda Wilson
Feb./Mar. 2006, highest chart pos.
#1 Hot Dance Club)

START VIDEO AT 22 SEC. MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)







Did I say double play? How about a Freemasons
triple play with another great disco record by the
house production duo, another track from their
second album Unmixed and another exciting
performance by guest vocalist Amanda Wilson.
Singing a song derived from Donna Summer's
smash hit "I Feel Love," Amanda gives us--
"I Feel Like!"

"I Feel Like" - Freemasons
featuring Amanda Wilson
Factor23 Remix Redux Ver.
(from Oct. 2007 album Unmixed)


START VIDEO AT 3:26 MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)




Holy cow - it's a Freemasons quadruple play! In 2007
UK singer Bailey Tzuke sang lead on a reworking of
"Univited," a 1998 hit for Canadian rocker Alanis
Morissette. Moody, mysterious and hauntingly
beautiful, "Uninvited" gets under your skin.
Set to a driving beat by Freemasons, the
updated single was a dance club hit in
the UK and across Europe. You are
cordially uninvited to click at the
22 sec. mark and be swept away
by-- Bailey Tzuke!

"Uninvited" - Freemasons ft. Bailey Tzuke
(Oct. 2007, highest chart pos. #8 UK,
 #5 Netherlands,#2 Belgium, from
Oct. 2007 album Unmixed and
June 2009 album Shakedown 2)

START VIDEO AT 22 SEC. MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)





Last call for alcohol and the last dance of my Disco Love
rave party. In the 1990s this Brit bird fronted an indie
rock band. In the 2000s, as a solo artist, she became
popular for her dance-pop, disco and nu-disco record.
"Murder On the Dancefloor," a single from her 2001
debut album Read My Lips, was an international hit,
the most played song in Europe the following year.
Jump to the 50 sec. mark of the vid and celebrate
the endless summer of eternal youth with--
Miss Sophie Ellis-Bextor!

"Murder On the Dancefloor" (Remix)
Sophie Ellis-Bextor (Dec. 2001 single,
unreleased in U.S., highest chart pos.
#1 Poland, #2 UK, New Zealand, Ireland,
Norway, Hungary, from Aug. 2001
album Read My Lips)

START VIDEO AT 50 SEC. MARK!
(Thea's Crossfade/Mix Point)




"Disco will never be over.

It will always live

in our minds and hearts."

- THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO (1998)


I hope you enjoyed the Disco Love I spread at
Thea's Rave No. 2.
This is Thea "Queen of Clubs"
saying goodbye for now.


Be sure to catch me on Arrow
now playing on The CW and Netflix,
and I'll be back soon with more def dance ditties
here at Shady's Place Music & Memories.

See ya!

18 comments:

  1. It's a Thanksgiving Disco!! Hope you're having a good day with family, Shady. Nice to know disco is still alive and well. I always liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend, and thank you for coming over to visit on the holiday! Mrs. Shady and I were on the road all day and evening and didn't arrive home until late. We had two T-giving dinners with family, one Wednesday evening and one yesterday in a different part of the state. I hope you and your family had a wonderful T-giving, dear Kelly.

      Yessum, it's a disco Thanksgiving, a radical departure from most of my posts. I've actually been saving this finished draft more than three years trying to get it worked into the schedule. I'm happy to know you enjoy disco and thanks for giving the disco house genre a try.

      Thanks again for being here and have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Kelly!

      Delete
  2. I second Kelly - it's a Thanksgiving Disco! I'm so glad to see Thea again, I remember her from your blog in 2016! You have me dancing through a turkey coma and I'm loving the sound... I have a soft spot for EDM. I'll listen to this closely tomorrow, when I'm not feeling like catching Zs from turkey.

    I hope that you are having a good thanksgiving with friends and family. Have a great Thankful Thursday, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for swinging by on your holiday, dear friend, and happy Thankful Thanksgiving to you as well! I'm pleased that you enjoy these disco house sounds from the UK producers Freemasons and other modern artists of the genre. As I told Kelly, I've been saving this post 3 or 4 years, ever since I first started checking out millennial music and posting a series of raves on SDMM. I'm glad you remember Thea Queen who has now become "Thea Queen of Clubs" at Shady's Place. Yessum, as you might have guessed, I am grooming Thea to become a member of The Shady Bunch deejay squad.

      I hope you awoke from your turkey coma refreshed and rested and thankful for all your blessings. Thank you for being a great friend and joining me on T-giving. Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Ohhh! I can't wait and I can't wait to see what you come up with for EDM dance club posts.

      I did! I hope you did as well. Last night I ventured to the Philadelphia Orchestra and had a blast. Gil Shaham's violin playing brought me to tears; his playing was just so beautiful. There's something about a violin that gets me...

      Have a great Saturday, dear friend! It's back to the library for me.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      I'm glad you are looking forward to Thea Queen of Clubs, the new radio show coming soon to Shady's Place and S-P-M-M. Put on your-your-your-your boogie shoes.

      I'm gonna make it back over to your space and find out about your night at the Philly Orchestra.

      Enjoy your Saturday and the rest of your weekend, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    4. I just nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Check it out. :]

      Delete
    5. Aren't you sweet, Jessica Marie? Thank you! I'm coming over right now.

      Delete
  3. I don't have a particular favorite here--they're all great! I don't know that I'd necessarily recognize these songs as disco, though, except in the sense that so much of the pop music they play on the radio these days has been influence by disco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for coming over on your long holiday weekend, good buddy!

      This genre is called disco house. I found the following definition of disco house on Urban Dictionary: << House music that really carries the sounds of its origins (disco) and gives the song a 70's feel. >> On electronicbeats.net I learned the following: << House is a continuation of disco. You can hear that easily in its arrangement and in its sound, which samples and pulls liberally from the popular club music of the ’70s and early ’80s. >> << Later, as house progressed towards the ’90s, producers turned to new and novel ways of recreating disco’s legacy. The resulting genre (is) now referred to as “disco house.” >> Two of my favorite remixers/producers of disco house are Joey Negro and Dimitri From Paris, and I own several of their CD compilations.

      I'm delighted that you enjoyed this sampling of sounds from the 21st century club scene harking back to the glory days of disco. I also highly recommend the film The Last Days of Disco starring the two ladies pictured at the top of the post: Kate Beckinsale and Chloë Sevigny.

      Enjoy your weekend, good buddy Kirk!

      Delete
  4. Hi Thea Queen! I don't watch Arrow, but I am familiar with the series...maybe I'll step in and watch sometime. Your Disco comeback rave is truly fantastic! And, I agree, "Disco Will Never Be Over"! This is a fine example of what today's Disco would be all about.

    Amanda Wilson is really a great artist, isn't she! Right off the bat, I like "Love On My Mind"! Her voice is great and gives us a clear message of how Disco should always be on our minds! "Watchin" is also very cool and definitely deserved to rate #1. I like all of her songs that are offered here. "I Feel Like" is different and really showcases Amanda's voice in a softer tone that quietly draws you in.

    I always liked Alanis Morissette with her strong "attitude" voice and deliberate story telling songs. Bailey Tzuke does a superb job of "Uninvited". Her eerie and mysterious tone is softer, and one might wonder, "should I step in?"

    That Katherine Ellis has an exciting voice and video. Watching the video with the song, lends a retro, possibly early to mid 1960s vibe. The vocals and voice vibe I get from this one is similar to the Pointer Sisters and even Aretha! A great, upbeat song!

    Fun Rave, Thea Queen...I'm glad Shady brought you over for this Thanksgiving holiday! I enjoyed all of the songs, and you have my Disco vote!

    Thank you dear Shady. Hope you are resting after a busy holiday. We've got a cold and drizzly day here today, and I've got to get Scootie busy with some homework. I let him slack since he has been out of school this week, but it's time to crack that whip. Have a great weekend, dear friend! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      Thanks for coming to Thea's Rave #2, dear friend!

      I am happy to see you out on the floor dancing to these disco ditties of the 21st century, most of them courtesy of British EDM producers Freemasons. If you haven't seen it yet, I encourage you to watch the 1998 film The Last Days of Disco, one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time.

      I'm wondering if you remember the original 1979 version of "This Time Baby" by Jackie Moore, the disco hit covered (with the title changed to "Love On My Mind") by Amanda Wilson and Freemasons. It was a very big hit in the discos I frequented that year. I'm thrilled that you found something to like in the vocals by Amanda, Katherine and Bailey. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite artist or song in this set because every one of them takes me back to my bachelor years of hanging in clubs and dancing to the exciting sounds of the disco era. As you mentioned, several of these music videos also feature excellent choreography. I especially like the lavish production on "Murder On The Dancefloor" which became the greatest international hit for Sophie Ellis-Bextor, a song she co-wrote. The Saturdays had a long string of hits and "Disco Love" is my favorite by the English-Irish girl group. Note how the song contains a play on words that pays tribute to American disco queen Donna Summer.

      I've been saving this post for at least three years and decided to plug it in to prevent readers like you from forgetting Thea Queen. BREAKING NEWS: Shady has tapped Thea to become a full-fledged deejay on SPMM Retrosonic Radio, so stay tuned for her first official show.

      I'm sorry your weather has turned dismal. Our Thanksgiving weather was surely the best in the nation with crystal blue skies, temps in the mid 70s and a delightful breeze. We were very lucky this year. I hope you got Master Scootie back into his books and I wish you both a very happy weekend.

      Thanks again for joining the disco fun, dear friend Suzanne!

      Delete
  5. Happy day after Thanksgiving Shady! Hope yours was better than ours! Actually we had a nice quiet dinner with Jordan and Phil yesterday and did shopping today..not early morning crazy stuff, just trying to squeeze it all in on a rare day off. Disco was never a great thing in my book but I know lots of my friends back in the day loved it and there were tons of disco dance places to hit. I don't even know the "Arrow" show..I'm so boring! Anyway, I enjoy visiting here and learning some new stuff! My Granddaughter Summer had a vacation in your lovely state and came home Wednesday with a big smile on her face and lots of nice memories of beautiful weather. Have a wonderful weekend Shady! Jack will have surgery on Thursday so I may be awol for a bit. Or I may have to blog about it! (if he'll let me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks a lot for dropping in to give nu-disco a whirl, dear friend!

      I've been thinking about Jack and hoping he can bounce back to 100% in time to enjoy the rest of the holiday season. Come Thursday he will be in my prayers and I hope you will keep us posted.

      With your sense of style you would have made a great disco queen of the 70s. I'm sorry to learn it isn't one of your favorite genres. From the late 70s to late 80s I had a second opportunity to enjoy the bachelor lifestyle and I took full advantage, making the rounds of discos in my region. The loud music and dazzling light shows created an electrifying atmosphere that I will remember always, and I will occasionally pay tribute to the disco scene here at Shady's Place.

      I am also sorry you don't follow Arrow aka Green Arrow. On the series, beautiful, wealthy Thea Queen is the owner of Verdant, a Star City nightclub located above her brother Oliver Queen's secret cave which serves as the headquarters for Oliver (aka The Arrow) and his team of superhero vigilante crime fighters. Soon Thea realizes that she too has super powers and joins the vigilante squad. At some point in the future Thea will be joining The Shady Bunch deejay squad on SPMM radio.

      Thanks again for coming, dear friend YaYa. I wish you a peaceful, restful and uneventful weekend!

      Delete
  6. Tom,

    What's wrong with the disco grandpa used to dance to? :D I appreciate the intro to the Freemasons. Their arrangements definitely have an upscale disco vibe but the vocals don' seem to connect with the era or at least not to my ear. It's funny I really loved disco back in the day. These days, I rarely listen to this style of mewsic unless someone is sharing it like you did here in this post. What I really like about this post and most others you pull together is how you use characters from your favorite TV series to intro the songs featured. We started watching the second season of Arrow finally but somehow got pulled away from it again. I hope we can resume soon. It's a bit difficult to get into the groove the way we do things sometimes. lol I hope you're home safe after a very full Thanksgiving holiday with family. Have a dancetastic weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thanks for swinging over for a visit on your holiday weekend, dear friend!

      I composed this post more than three years ago on Shady Dell Music & Memories at the height of my interest in 21st century dance-pop. I've been holding onto it because I wanted to wait until I started the new blog and the concept of SPMM radio. I published it this week as a preview of the disco sounds to come when Thea's new show Thea Queen of Clubs makes it official debut on SPMM Radio at some point in the near future. I guarantee that Thea's play lists will include the type of disco your grandpa danced to. :)

      I'm pleased that you enjoy having me delegate the hosting chores to characters from TV series and movies I like, making it possible for readers like you to learn about and discuss the shows as well as the songs. Mrs. Shady and I were keen on Arrow during the first five or six seasons, but it turned too dark and depressing near the end of its eight season run and we bailed out. We also quit watching Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for the same reason. We are still watching The Flash, Super Girl and Legends of Tomorrow.

      Yessum, we arrived home safely after a T-giving day spent visiting family in other cities.

      Thanks again for dropping by, dear friend Cathy, and have a dancetastic weekend yourself!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shady!

    I'm pretty out of touch with disco (can't take the strobes) but "Murder on the dance floor" was interesting. I thought I recognized more than one dance routine - did they actually do a little Electric Slide?

    Will you and Mrs. Shady decorate the house for Christmas?

    Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, diedre!

      I am very happy to see you again, dear friend. Welcome back to Shady's Place!

      I'm glad that last music video caught your attention because it's one of my favorites and was a major international hit for English pop zinger Sophie Ellis-Bextor. I can't answer your questions because I am not very well versed on various types of disco dances. During the years of my second bachelorhood when I was a disco rat, I imitated the dance moves of others and hoped that I didn't come across as "John Revolta." :)

      Mrs. Shady and I will need to skip decorating this holiday season because we are in the midst of packing for yet another move. I will need to take a three week blog break near the end of next month to focus all my time and energy on making the transition.

      I hope you are getting into the spirit of the holidays and I look forward to seeing Wednesday's post on Pensive Pens. I will be out of town that day but should be able to drop in and say hello at some point.

      Thanks again for coming to Thea's Rave #2, dear friend diedre, and have a super week!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind