INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Saturday, July 20, 2019

Today in History: One Small Step for a Man.....

...one giant leap for blogging.



That's right, dear friend. It was 50 years ago today
that man first set foot on the moon, 20 years ago
today Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play,
and 11 years ago today, on July 20, 2008, that I,
Roseanne Roseannadanna  Shady Del Knight,
became a blogger. Hard to believe, but here
am eleven years later still practicing the
art of blogging... and I am determined
to keep practicing until I get it right.

To salivate (correct usage) my 11 year
blogiversary, I am throwing a party...
a party to end all parties (until the
next one comes along).

The gang's all here - The Shady Bunch - my staff of veteran DJs.
They brought stacks-o-wax to spin for your listening,
dancing, hugging and smooching pleasure.

To get this thang underway, I am happy to introduce
the first of my boss jocks, Shady Green, The Dean of Keen.


Hey, thank you Shady Del Knight
and congratulations on reaching the
eleven year blogging milestone!

Ready for a mind bending, mood altering, otherworldly experience? Hop aboard my
Wayback Machine as it takes us to 1968.
That year The Lennon Sisters, those
singing sibs of Lawrence Welk Show
fame, released an LP of flower power,
bubblegum and sunshine pop covers
that includes "Green Tambourine" the
psychedelic song originally recorded
by The Lemon Pipers, a single that
topped the pop chart that year.


CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

On this special remix, The Lennon Sisters track was slowed down to
match the tempo of the Lemon Pipers' original, creating a surreal effect.
Mr. Welk would never approve, but Shady Green, The Dean of Keen,
  thinks it's serene. Listen as Dianne, Janet, Peggy and Kathy turn on,
tune in and drop out with-- "Green Tambourine!"


"Green Tambourine" - The Lennon Sisters
(from 1968 album The Lennon Sisters Today!!)

The Lennon Sisters proving they're cool with a more than
capable cover of the psychedelic pop hit "Green Tambourine." 

In the summer of '85, Canadian rocker
Bryan Adams reached the top 5 in the
U.S. with the single "Summer Of '69."
As we observe the 50th anniversary
of that great summer when we were
young and restless, I am proud to
bring you an exciting new cover
unveiled on YouTube just days ago.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

It's a collaboration between the young
Romanian guitar virtuoso Andrei Cerbu
and singer Beatrice Maria Florea. Watch
and listen as Andrei and Beatrice take
us back to the-- "Summer Of '69."


"Summer Of '69" - (July 2019 Bryan Adams
cover by Andrei Cerbu & Beatrice Maria Florea,
orig. Aug. 1985, highest chart pos. #5 Hot 100/#7 Cash Box)

From Romania with love, that was the fabulous cover of the 1985 Bryan Adams hit
"Summer Of '69" uploaded one week ago by YouTube sensation Andrei Cerbu and
his partner, singer Beatrice Maria Florea. Now its my pleasure to toss the ball to my
good friend and fellow member of The Shady Bunch - Hy Lit. Hyski, take it away!


Thank you, Shady Green. Hyski here, Hy Lit,
your pal on the radio, and we're taking to the
sky on a Natural Hy with a golden goody
from one of Philly's phavorite girl groups.
It's a string of cool covers rolled into one,
a medley of songs penned by the great
New York based songwriter, arranger
and producer Mr. Teddy Randazzo.
The medley includes  "It's Gonna
Take A Miracle," a hit in the 60s
for The Royalettes and a hit in the
80s for Deniece Williams, plus three
songs made famous by Little Anthony
The Imperials: "I'm On The Outside
(Looking In)," "Hurt So Bad" and
"Goin' Out of My Head."

START THE VIDEO NOW!

Two of these ladies went on to form the hit disco group The Ritchie Family.
Back in '71 they called themselves Honey And The Bees, and this
is their super soul medley-- "Gonna Take A Miracle!"


"It's Gonna Take A Miracle" (Medley)"
 Honey & The Bees (Aug. 1971)

"It's Gonna Take a Miracle" - the ice cool medley sung by Philly's phinest,
Honey And The Bees. Now I'm gonna pass the mic to my Philly phriend,
The Geator With the Heater, Mr. Jerry Blavat. Jerry...?

Alright...thank you, Hy Lit, and greetings and
salutations to all my yon teenagers out there!
I am the Geator With the Heater. I am the
Boss with the Big Hot Sauceand congrats
to my main man, Mr. Shady Del Knight,
on keeping us entertained for the last
 eleven years, first at SDMM and now
here at SPMM. I was just standing by
the punch bowl at Shady's anniversary
bash looking for the eats when I found
a tasty treat. Fiction and Fact from
The Geator's Almanac: In 1963 the
rock 'n' roll band The Dartells took
the song "(Do The) Mashed Potatoes,"
made famous in 1960 by Nat Kendrick
& The Swans, reworked it, and came up
with a hit of their own. Chew on this
for a while-- "Hot Pastrami!"

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!


"Hot Pastrami" - The Dartells
(Apr./May 1963, highest chart pos. #11)

The Dartells with their biggest hit, "Hot Pastrami," a single that brushed
the top 10 in the spring of '63. Now, I am happy to turn things over to my
good friend Dell Rat Tom, host of Jukebox Giants. Take it away, Mr. Tom!


Thank you very much, Jerry, and congratulations to
Shady on 11 years of blogging! On Jukebox Giants
I bring you the greatest hits of the Shady Dell.
This one takes us back to 1967, a pivotal
year in the Dell dance hall.  

START VIDEO NOW!

If there was any lingering doubt that the times
were changing and West Coast rock was gaining
a powerful foothold in the dance hall jukebox,
it was erased for good in The Summer of Love
by this band, Jim Morrison and The Doors.
Here they are doing their second single...
the chart-topping smash "Light My Fire!"


"Light My Fire" - The Doors
(July/Aug. 1967, highest chart pos. #1)

The Doors with their signature song "Light My Fire," one of the biggest
rock hits ever to play on the dance hall jukebox at the Shady Dell.
Now it's time for me to vacate the announcer's booth and let
another member of The Shady Bunch take over.
Shady Blue... how-do-you-do?


I'm all shook up, Tommy Boy, excited to be
part of this 11th anniversary extravaganza.
Hi, everybody!  You're Stuck Like Glue
On Shady Blue here on S-P-M-M... the
station that's #1 for music and fun.
By now you know that I love this
guy - Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

Here now is the hip-swiveling King
performing one of my favorites in the
1962 movie Girls! Girls! Girls!--
"Return To Sender!"


"Return To Sender" - Elvis Presley
(Nov./Dec. 1962, highest chart pos. #2 Hot 100/#1 Cash Box,
from OST of Nov. 1962 film Girls! Girls! Girls!)

"Return To Sender" from Girls! Girls! Girls!... a movie in which Elvis
was caught in a love triangle with Stella Stevens and Laurel Goodwin.
I could think of a worse fate. It's time to wrap up Shady's anniversary
dance party, and we're going out with a bang and a bark. Here to
introduce the last dance is Shady Del Knight's deejay dog,
S-P-M-M's All Night Satellite-- Toto Moto!

Heidi ho, and thank you, Shady Blue!
This is Toto Moto, The Hound of Soundyour
Hi-Fi Fido, your Rocker SpanielThe Pooch
with the Hooch. I'm not ashamed to admit
that I piddled on the rug with excitement
when I found out Shady Del Knight has
been blogging for eleven whole years.
That's more than 60 of my dog years!
Congratulations to you, my human pet!
To bring the anniversary bash to a close,
let's tumble through my Top Tunes
Time Tunnel to the fall of 1964 at the
height of the British Invasion hoopla.
Here's the English R&B rock band
Manfred Mann with their first and
biggest U.S. hit, a #1 charting cover
of a song originally recorded by the
American R&B group The Exciters.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

It's a doggone ditty that I think is mighty pretty-- "Do Wah Diddy Diddy!"


"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" - Manfred Mann
(Sept./Oct. 1964, highest chart pos. #1)

Brit band Manfred Mann with a hit single that shot to #1 on both sides of the pond,
"Do Wah Diddy Diddy." Hey, I gotta poop, so I'm saying goodbye and scooting
through the studio's doggie door. Back to you, Shady Del Knight!

A friend is someone who gives you total
freedom to be yourself." - Jim Morrison


Thank you, Toto, and thanks to the rest of The Shady Bunch for bringing
their A sides to the anniversary bash. I also thank you, dear reader,
for joining the party. It doesn't matter if you have been following
me for eleven days or all eleven years. I am grateful. Thank you
very much, my friend, for spending some time in the Shady.
 I promise to do my best to keep you entertained
throughout year number twelve.

Have a Shady day!

31 comments:

  1. Congrats on 11 years of fabulous blogging, friend Shady! And what a fabulous post this is … thank you so much. I am celebrating an anniversary as well this year as after 20 years working acute care, I switched to acute psych 11 years ago and with that found my true calling. … and in other news … Saturday/ Fasting Day … so here I sit, sipping ma Lemon Green Tea while enjoying your music selections. Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat!

      By golly, you're the early bird this time, dear friend. Thank you for coming down!

      I am delighted to have you here with me as I salivate 11 years of blogging. You have actually been following me for quite some time now, and I am learning new and interesting things about your life practically every week. You are a treasured friend!

      Congratulations on finding your true calling 11 years ago. What a blessing. Many people never do find what they are looking for.

      You fast every Saturday? I'm glad you enjoyed listening to the tunes presented by all six members of The Shady Bunch deejay team as you sipped your lemon green tea.

      Much love to you as well, cat, and thank you again for your faithful friendship!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Shady!

    I joined the dance/anniversary party early this morning! I started off hoppin n boppin, then a little slow dancing ( by myself!) followed by the Watusi, the Shimmy, proceeded by the Monkey and the Pony! Whew! Whatta workout and whatta Anniversary!!!

    Tom, Congratulations to 11 years of intelligent, humorous writing Chock-full of fun, tributes and memories with great music to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Toni!

      I'm very happy to see you, Dear Dell friend! Thanks for making time for a visit as I mark the completion of eleven years in blogging, the first ten years at Shady Dell Music & Memories, a blog you helped launch, and one year here at Shady's Place.

      True to form, Shady's squad of boss jocks played a diverse selection of songs covering a span of decades and music categories, something for practically every taste. I'm glad their tuneage had you splishin' and a-splashin'... rollin' and a-strollin'... movin' and a-groovin'... reelin' with the feelin'. :)

      Once again I thank you very much for being here today, Toni. As you recall, I had planned to quit blogging at the end of 2010. Thanks to your behind the scenes picture taking and information gathering in those early years, I was inspired to continue on. I appreciate your compliments and hope you will stick with me through year number 12.

      Enjoy your weekend, dear friend Toni!

      Delete
  3. I tend to forget about Manfred Mann's early stuff like this one (and Quinn the Eskimo). My favorite LP is The Roaring Silence. Of course I love Blinded By the Light, but there are some other great tracks on it, too.

    That's not a bad cover of Green Tambourine by the Lennon Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... and I failed to wish you a happy blogiversary!! What a great day (Apollo 11 moonwalk) to share it with!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for popping in for my 11th blogiversary, dear friend. I'm very happy to see you!

      Given the difference in our ages, it is easy to understand why I know Manfred Mann's early career output better than their 70s material when they called themselves Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I'm delighted to know that your ears appreciated The Lennon Sisters proving they're cool with that cover of the psych pop hit "Green Tambourine." What a find!

      Thank you very much for your anniversary wishes. The much celebrated Summer of '69 was indeed one of the best years of my life. It was also a big year in the news with the moon landing, moon walk, Chappaquiddick, Woodstock, the Vietnam conflict, antiwar protests, and more.

      Thank you again for taking an interest in my blogging and being such a devoted friend, Kelly. I really appreciate it. Have a super weekend and stay tuned for more music, memories and fun coming up in year twelve!

      Delete
  4. Hi Shady, and Happy Blogiversary! It really doesn't seem like 11 years, as I think I've been blogging for almost 10 years. And, I see you brought all of your "Shady" characters, and cohorts with you to help with the celebration.

    Ah...the Lennon Sisters. Growing up, my family and I were faithful fans of these talented girls. They sure did a great job on "Green Tambourine" with green dresses to boot.

    "Hot Pastrami" is a fun song! I also remember Joey Dee doing it. The Dartells were a cute group of guys, and they were talented! I think the two kids from Romania are also very talented...that guy plays a mean guitar. Their version of "Summer of 69" is the best! And, that Geator is a cutie!

    As for "The Doors". They were great musicians, and Morrison was a good vocalist, although I couldn't stand the sight of him, hah! I liked most of their music, I know they were great, but not my idols!

    Yummers to Elvis! Just when you think the "Return to Sender" video is corny, you have to remember his charisma, good looks, and "out of this world" voice! I have seen the "Girls Girls Girls" movie several times, and will watch it again. Watching Elvis gets you loving ANY song he sings! "Return to Sender" was a favorite of mine, and of most of my classmates. Who can go wrong with a gang of school girls! Thank you Shady Blue! Stella Stevens "rocks" too!

    Toto Moto, the "Hound of Sound" has a special place in my heart. He is so handsome and clever in the tunes he chooses for us. "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" is a classic. You can take it anywhere! And, Manfred Mann is a keeper also-"Blinded By The Light" is one of their good ones.

    I didn't realize that it's 50 years ago that man set foot on the moon. Heck, I guess I'm just not feeling those years yet! But, I do remember Sergeant Pepper showing up in the later 60's-I loved it!

    Congratulations Shady on your 11th Blogiversary! And, although some of your DJ's haven't always been with you, they deserve a 'thumb's up' for their knowledge of what we love, and their clever presentations.

    Have a great weekend, Shady, and thank you for your years of musical service, and fun stuff! ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne!

      I'm excited to see you, dear friend! Thanks for dropping by to see what the deejays of The Shady Bunch have to offer in my special 11th anniversary post.

      I didn't realize you have been blogging nearly a decade. I applaud your longevity! I'm happy to know that you and your family watched The Lennon Sisters on The Lawrence Welk Show. I watched the program with my parents, too. My dad loved Welk so much that in his later years he taped hours of reruns and played them back over and over again. The Lennon's rendition of "Green Tambourine" is surreal. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Andrei Cerbu & Beatrice Maria Florea are my Picks to Click for the whole post. I discovered this video only a few days ago and I was compelled to add it to my anniversary post. Not only does it hark back to the "Summer Of '69," one of the greatest years of my life, but Andrei's guitar virtuosity is proudly on display, especially in the final minute of the video which I hope you will watch again. He is a brilliant rock musician. His partner Andrea is a ray of pure sunshine, and her vocal treatment sets exactly the right tone for the song. I can't watch their performance without tears forming in my eyes. Here are two very young people keeping great 20th century classic rock alive halfway around the world from where it originated. I salute them! Stay tuned for more Andrei Cerbu solos and collaborations in future posts.

      It strikes me as odd that you couldn't stand the sight of Jim Morrison when so many young women (and men) were dazzled and mystified by him. Was early Elvis more your type of guy? I remember the first time I heard "Light My Fire" on the Dell jukebox. I knew right then and there that the Dell's bread and butter music styles, doo-wop and sweet soul, were starting to fade, and hard rock and psychedelic rock were on the rise.

      I always got a kick out of Elvis Presley's lip sync performances in movies. He didn't exactly exert himself. He was rather wooden, went through the motions, phoned it in. In other words, the recording you heard packed more of a punch than his performance of it on screen. Yet it somehow worked in his favor, made him seem even cooler because he didn't even try very hard. Know what I mean?

      I'm glad you enjoyed seeing blog mascot Toto Moto - The Rocker Spaniel - back on the blog on this special occasion. One year ago it was Toto who first introduced us to the other SPMM deejays who reported for duty today.

      Suzanne, I am very thankful that you and I crossed paths in the blogiverse all those years ago and that we have stuck together as close friends all this time. I always look forward to your visits. Invariably your comments give me plenty of fodder for replies and afford me the opportunity to introduce new topics and threads. I appreciate you so very much. I have been working on drafts for the coming year and I promise lots more fun and good music ahead in year twelve.

      Thanks again, dear friend Suzanne. I wish you and Scootie a safe and happy weekend!

      Delete
    2. Over the years, I tried to like Jim Morrison, but he always looked to me as though he spent a lot of time wallowing in the mud. His antics on stage were repulsive, and made him even dirtier. I didn't like the keyboard player either...go figure! He was arrogant. They were great artists, but deplorable. And, I don't think that of many artists and entertainers.

      I did like "Honey and The Bees" Medley-very beautiful sound!

      Again, Happy Blogiversary, Shady and many more!

      Delete
    3. Hi again, Suzanne!

      Thanks for explaining the specifics of your dislike of Morrison and his keyboardist. I'm glad you brought up Honey And The Bees, an act nobody else has mentioned until now. Along with Andrei and Beatrice, they are the big discovery of this post, something I never heard before. Their Teddy Randazzo medley is sensational and I can't figure out why it never reached the chart, not even the R&B chart - didn't even Bubble Under. As I mentioned in the text, two members of Honey And The Bees, Cassandra Ann Wooten and Gwendolyn Oliver, went on to form the disco girl trio The Ritchie Family who had dance hits with "Brazil" and "Best Disco In Town."

      Thanks again for being here with me on this special occasion, dear friend Suzanne. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
    4. Ok, just one more thing. I didn't think of the song's lyrics when I mentioned that Morrison looks like he's been wallowing in mud! He says in the song, "no time to wallow in the mire"! Ironic isn't it! Haha! Liar! I'll leave you be now, friend Shady! ♫

      Delete
    5. Hi, again, dearie!

      Yessum, I remembered those lyrics from the song and wondered exactly what you meant by that observation. I am a little surprised to find two or three blog friends, including you and Kelly (above), who didn't care very much for The Doors for one reason for another. I wore out their first two albums playing them in my dorm room at college. After those LPs, I pretty much lost interest in the band and didn't pay much attention to the reports about Morrison's stage antics.

      I hope you are having a terrific weekend over there, Suzanne. Take care and have a super weekend, and please join me next Friday when I present another installment of Echoes of the Spectorian Era!

      Delete
  5. Hi Shady and super congrats on 11 years of blogging! I haven't followed you for that many years but the years I have been here have been so informative, fun, and brought back many memories of my teen years and even brought me up to date with music that was happening when I was raising my kiddos. I was brought into the world of the Shady Dell and your memories of the Ettlines. I feel like I knew them from all the stories and photos and music. The tunes here are a good example of the great sounds and recording artists of the past years. I have to say a little ditti about Jim Morrison. I remember my first walk through the rock hall of fame and I saw his section and they featured his cub scout uniform and info about his family and his youth. When they become larger than life and die early it's hard to remember that they were just regular kids at one time. I think of that every time I see a video or hear his music. Anyway, on a happier note, I'm glad I made it back from a little vaca with my Oregon crew and joined the party! I hope this is just the first of many blog anniversaries for you and all your guest hosts! Have a fabulous day...it's steaming up here in Ohio but you'll always bring on the "cool" factor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      What a wonderful comment from you, dear friend. Thank you so very much for the kind words! I am sure you know by now how grateful I am for your friendship and support since that day six or seven years ago when you signed on the dotted line and became a member of the Shady Dell family. My anniversary salivation would not be complete without having you here.

      I always love your comments because you share interesting anecdotes about your girlhood and other stages of your life that are linked in your memory to various songs. I am thrilled to know that many of the tunes selected by the SPMM deejay staff resonate with you.

      Thanks for sharing the story about visiting the Rock Hall of Fame and examining Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform. He certainly wasn't much of a "boy scout" during his truncated life as a rock star. I agree it is important for us to remember that every child is born innocent and pure. Where we go from there is shaped by genetics and environmental factors, but it is ultimately up to each of us to take control of our destiny.

      I thought you indicated that your Oregon family members were coming to Ohio to visit you. Are you saying you and Jack went out to Oregon again? I am sure you will explain in your next post. In any case, I am indeed glad you made it over on day one to join my blogiversary celebration.

      Thank you again for being a great and devoted friend these many years, dear YaYa. Try to stay cool up there, and take comfort knowing that winter in Ohio begins two weeks from now. :) Enjoy your Sunday and the week ahead!

      Delete
  6. Happy blogiversary, dear friend! 11 years and still rocking it, although, I've only been following for 5 years of it.

    Love your dance party! Some great tunes there, as I begin to transition from vacation back to two jobs. I needed that dance party for the last day of vacation.

    Congratulations, dear friend and here's to many more years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      Thanks for coming, dear friend. I am very happy to see you! I'm grateful that you took some time while on vacation to break away and join me here as I observe eleven years as a blogger.

      We have been following each other a good long time now and I appreciate your loyal support. I hope the tunes introduced by the SPMM deejays will get stuck in your head and send you back to work with a smile on your face and pride in your stride.

      Thanks again for joining the party, dear friend JM. Take care and have a great week ahead!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Some drama with mom. She thinks my trip was extravagant and is threatening to throw me out. I don't believe her, but anxiety is now ramped. I think I need to give these tunes another listen to calm down.

      I look forward to more parties in the years to come! Back atcha, dear friend.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Jessica Marie!

      I'm sorry to learn that you and your mother are at odds again. Hang on, keep your cool, and I am sure it will blow over. I hope this tuneage helps.

      There surely will be more parties here at Shady's Place. Consider it Party Central.

      Take care and have a restful night. dear friend JM!

      Delete
    4. Hi Shady,

      It's still going... I'll e-mail you. I know it'll eventually blow over, but right now it's rough. So far, the tuneage has helped. Also, I listened to the Tao of Pooh today and surprisingly, that helped too.

      I can't wait! Happy Thankful Thursday, dear friend.

      Delete
    5. I'm happy to know that my anniversary play list helped you over the rough spots you encountered this week, Jessica Marie. Hang in there. Things will surely get better. I have a new batch of tunes for you coming tomorrow morning. Hope to see you soon, dear friend JM.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your 11th blogiversary! Mine was back in I think March and once again I forgot about it. I'll have to have a blowout for the 12th next year.

    I'm surprised "It's Gonna Take a Miracle" didn't chart. I thought that was a well-known song at one time. Anyway I love it.

    About "The Summer of '69". I know it was 50 years ago (the season, not the song) but there were still five-and-dimes then? I was only seven, but by that time my mother was already looking for the blue-light special at K-Mart. Anyway, nice cover.

    And what can I say about The Doors, Elvis, and Manfred Mann other than it's good hearing those songs again?

    The Lennon Sisters did sound kind of cool in that remix. Obviously, their careers were mismanaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for joining me as I mark eleven full years of blogging, good buddy! I also congratulate you on your 11+ years of significant contributions to the blogging community.

      Two versions of "It's Gonna Take A Miracle" did make the charts. The original version, recorded by the Baltimore girl group The Royalettes and released in 1965, reached the top 30 on the R&B chart, penetrated the top 40 on Cash Box and approached the top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100. In 1982, Deniece Williams had an even bigger hit with the song, topping the R&B chart and reaching the top 10 on the Hot 100. I share your curiosity about the cover by Honey And The Bees. Their Teddy Randazzo medley is excellent and should have been another hit version of the song.

      The history of Five and Dime stores or Five and Tens, as my parents always called them, is rooted in my old stomping ground - Lancaster and York, PA. The first successful Woolworth store opened in Lancaster in 1879. A month later, 140 years ago this week, Woolworth opened a store in nearby Harrisburg and soon moved it to York. Technically, Woolworth started pricing certain items above the 10 cent threshold in the early 1930s, but folks still referred to it and similar deep discount department stores as Five and Tens throughout the 50s and into the 60s. 1969 might have been a stretch, however, and therefore that's a good catch on your part.

      I'm delighted that you enjoyed the selections by The Doors, Elvis the Pelvis and Manfred Mann. I think The Lennon Sisters could have made the transition to a pop rock band like The Partridge Family, The Cowsills or even The Go-Go's or The Bangles. That 1968 album of theirs, filled with covers of mainstream pop, psychedelic and sunshine pop hits including "Different Drum, "California Dreamin'" and "Elusive Butterfly"... came close.

      Thanks again for joining the fun on this special occasion, good buddy Kirk. I am very thankful to have you in my circle as I head into my twelfth year of blogging mischief and mayhem. Take care and have a super week, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Happy 11 years.
    All the great songs I remember so well and I loved so many of The Doors songs. What a voice.
    Goodness Manfred Mann I remember lots of the British Bands. So many songs you have here that I remembers the songs but not the groups names.
    Happy 11 !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle! Hi Winston & Agatha!

      Thank you very much for dropping in and wishing me a happy 11th blog anniversary, dear friend! It means a great deal to me. You and I have been blog buddies around three years, I believe, and I am thankful.

      I am also pleased that you remember the featured songs in this post if not the artist names. It's nice to hear from a genuine fan of The Doors, someone who appreciated the mysterious and moody vocal styling of Jim Morrison. Glad you also remember this early hit single by Manfred Mann and that it triggered memories of other British Invasion bands. Sound hound Toto Moto and other SPMM deejays will be playing many more great sounds from the UK in the coming year and beyond, so stick around.

      Thank you again for your loyal support and faithful friendship, dear Gayle. I hope both your dogs are feeling better than they were at last report, and I wish you a safe and happy week ahead!

      Delete
  9. Tom,

    Congrats on your 11th Blogoversary! You have a few years up on me. I remember many of your oldies featured today but the two that made me smile the most is Elvis sending 'Return To Sender' and 'Do Wat Diddy Diddy' by Mannfred Man. I remember in grade schooll how popular Elvis' song was with all the older girls singing it and I can't help but think of the episode of Moonlighting where Bruce Willis sings 'Do Wat Diddy Diddy'. Man, did I love that show! Anywho, I loved how you rolled your blogging anniversary while paying tribute to the the 50th anniversary of man walking on the moon. It's been enjoyable catching some of the old footage and listening to the pride of anchormen sharing the accomplishment to 650 million around the world. By the way, I learned last week the guy responsible for many of the iconic photos from that landing lives in town and works for one of the local TV stations, Bob Martin. If you're interested you might want to read NASA photographer called WVLT home for decades".

    Thanks for hitting the 4M dance floor with me yesterday. Have a boogietastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Thank you very much for coming by to help me salivate, dear friend! :) My 11th anniversary party wouldn't be complete without you, because you have been a terrific friend and supporter more than four years now. I am grateful!

      I'm happy to know you like Shady Blue's selection of Elvis Presley doing "Return To Sender" and Toto's song pick "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann. I'm thrilled to learn that you watched the Moonlighting TV series. So did I. In fact, I liked the show so much that I produced a TV commercial based on it for a video rental store using local actors to play the roles of David and Maddie. It's important to remember that the R&B group The Exciters recorded the original version of "Do Wah Diddy Diddy." As was often the case during the British Invasion, a mop top band's cover of a song originally waxed in the U.S. by a black artist became a much bigger hit. The version by Brenda Reid and The Exciters, released around the time of the JFK assassination, only reached #78 on the chart, whereas the Manfred Mann version, released months later, went all the way to number one.

      Yessum, 1969 was a huge year in the news. I remember the lunar landing and first moon walk. That night I was glued to Walter Cronkite's play-by-play coverage of the awesome event. Thanks for linking me over to that article about Bob Martin of your local Knoxville TV station. It was interesting to read about his career as a principal photographer for the U.S. space program, documenting all the triumphs and tragedies along the way. It must have been an incredibly exciting job.

      Thank you again for being here this week and for your devoted friendship in the years we have known each other. Ours is one of the great success stories in blogging. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to learn from you and share with you week by week. Have a wonderful Monday, dear friend Cathy!

      Delete
    2. Tom,

      I'm glad you got a chance to read the article on Bob Martin. I think he looks fabulous for his 82 years, don't you? Yes, I'm learning that many of the songs I was raised on are older than I first thought. It's good friends like you who continue to boost my mewsic education and spark interests for future BoTB. :) Have a glorious week/weekend, my friend!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Cathy!

      It's great to see you again, dear friend! Thanks for popping back over to expand our thread.

      I think it is important for us as bloggers to trace popular songs back to their roots and post the originals or at least acknowledge them. Today's younger generation is misinformed, believing that covers by their favorite artists are brand new songs. Boomers were just as guilty, believing the rock 'n' roll renditions we heard on the radio were new songs by the hot recording acts of the day when, in many cases, they were Tin Pan Alley songs and pop and jazz standards given an updated sound in the 50s and 60s.

      I am always excited to see you, dear friend Cathy. Thanks again for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  10. happy 11th Anniversary and 2 weeks:). These are some great songs you showcased here and I like that version of Summer of '69 better than Mr. Adams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BB!

      I'm glad you enjoyed Andrei and Beatrice. I think they rock, too!

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind