INSPIRED BY THE SHADY DELL, YORK, PA, AND DEDICATED TO ITS OWNERS JOHN & HELEN ETTLINE
AND TO MARGARET ELIZABETH BROWN SCHNEIDER, NICKNAMED "THE OLDEST LIVING DELL RAT"


Sunday, March 27, 2022

7 on the Dot - TICK TICK TICK...



PIGGYBACK COLD OPEN:
CLICK TO START FIRST VIDEO.
AT THE 5 SEC. MARK, CLICK
TO START SECOND VIDEO!


"(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock" - Bill Haley And His Comets
(June thru Aug. 1955, highest chart pos. #1 Hot 100 & Cash Box)

Kicking off my show with a timely tunethe granddaddy of all
rock 'n' roll songs, "(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock"
by Bill Haley And His Comets. The clock rocker was a
smash hit and best seller on both sides of the Atlantic.
Hard to believe that the now-famous song started
out in obscurity as the B side of Haley's single!







Hi everyone, I'm Dorothy
"Dot" Everest, one of the
stars of The Tickthe TV
series that has critics
raving, nominated for
Saturn Award in the
category of "Best New
Media Superhero Series."














You've heard of the
Blue Man Group and
"The Little Blue Man."
The Tick is a big man
dressed in a bright blue
costume. (Don't ask.)
Nearly invincible,
The Tick is a super
hero who fights
underworld crime
to save the city.



Arthur Everest is the Tick's nervous, nerdy sidekick,
and I'm Arthur's sister, well, more like his mother
because I am always looking out for him.







I have my
brother's back
and an angel's
face, but don't
let my looks
fool you.









I'm no cream puff.
When the chips
are down... I'm
one tough cookie.

(See what I did there?)


By day I am an ordinary, hard working EMT.






By night I reveal my secret
identity as a crime fighting
vigilante heroine on Team
Tick. I am equipped with
a superpower, a unique
time management skill
they don't teach in Tony
Robbins seminars. Let's
just say I have mastered
the five second do-over.
I'm breaking way badass,
so evildoers beware.








I will not fail my brother.
I will not fail my city,
and I will not fail you
the listener. Beginning
now, this very second,
I'll turn back the clock
to bring you some of
the best sounds of the
20th and 21st centuries.





I am also proud to let you know that Shady Del Knight
has picked me to become the latest member of his
Shady Bunch DJ team on S-P-M-M Retro Radio.
Today I'm bringing you a sneak preview of
my new show which will be called

7 on the Dot - TICK TICK TICK...

- 7 songs in a row and every one of them about
marking time or the passing of time -
past, present and future.

You're in Dot's time zone
and the clock is ticking.


From this moment on it's more
music with less tock Get it? 😝

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

It might be a 5 o'clock world... but there's something
special about "Six O'Clock." Here to explain are
John Sebastian and The Lovin' Spoonful!


"Six O'Clock" - The Lovin' Spoonful
(May/June 1967, highest chart pos. #17 Cash Box/#18 Hot 100)



Flashing back to the spring of 1967,
that was John Sebastian along with
his jug-band pop and folk rock group
The Lovin' Spoonful and their top 20
hit "Six "O'clock," a record that
brushed the top 10 in Canada.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

There might be something special
'bout "Six O'clock" but wait a minute.
In fact... wait six hours, because...
"After Midnight" we're gonna let
it all hang out. So sings Eric
Clapton in his 1970 cover
of he J.J. Cale song!


"After Midnight" - Eric Clapton
(Nov./Dec. 1970, highest chart pos. #13 Cash Box/#18 Hot 100)


Hot on the chart at the end of 1970
and the start of '71, that was Eric
Clapton with one of his signature
songs, "After Midnight," a cover
of the J.J. Cale song originally
released in 1966.

If you're just tuning in, I'm Dot
Everest from The Tick and this
is a sneak preview of my new
S-P-M-M radio show coming
next year to Shady's Place.
It's a 7-in-a-row nonstop
blockbuster, so let's get
right back to the music.

START VIDEO NOW!

Listen! Can you hear the
TICK TICK TICK?
If you've got the time, I've got
the tune. It's the gospel-tinged
soul of The Mighty Clouds Of
Joy with our next pertinent
platter-- "Time!"


"Time" - The Mighty Clouds Of Joy
(Oct./Nov. 1974, highest chart pos. #32 R&B/#102 Bubbling Under)



All we need is just a little
more time. Ain't it the truth,
though? Those gentlemen
are The Mighty Clouds of
Joy, an L-A based gospel
group that crossed over
the bridge to the secular
side and achieved hits
on the soul and disco
charts in the mid 70s
with "Mighty High,"
"Mighty Cloud Of Joy"
and the song I just
played for you- "Time."


The Charleston was once the rage. History has turned a page.

CLICK TO START THE VIDEO NOW!

sign of the times and a sound of the times from Sonny and
Cher who remind us that the show and the beat goes on.


"The Beat Goes On" - Sonny And Cher
(Feb./Mar. 1967, highest chart pos. #6 Hot 100/#7 Cash Box)



What a cool couple! That
was Sonny & Cher making
a convincing run at the
top 5 in 1967 with the
time referencing song
"The Beat Goes On."

START VIDEO NOW!

Released around Halloween
in 1982, "The Day Before
You Came" is one of ABBA's
last singles. At Christmas that
year, the Swedish super group
sang the song in Germany on
the TV series Show Express.


"The Day Before You Came" - ABBA
(Oct. thru Dec. 1982, highest chart pos. #32 UK/#2 Finland,
#3 Sweden, Belgium & Netherlands, live performance on
Show Express on West German PBS station ZDF, Dec. 1982)

That was "Aggie" - Agnetha Fältskog - singing lead for ABBA on
"The Day Before You Came" on German TV.  The record went
top 3 in four European countries, brushed the top 30 in the
UK and was released in the U.S. only as a DJ promo.


By the way, at nearly 6 minutes "TRT" - total run time, "The Day
Before You Came" it is ABBA's second longest single, after "Eagle."


Before I go, I wanna invite you to watch my
TV series The Tick on Amazon Prime Video.
If you haven't seen it yet, it's high time you did.

Oh darn... look at the clock.
Baby baby baby, we're out of time.


Dot's all folks - I gotta dash.
(See what I did there?)



I hope you enjoyed
this preview of my
new radio series

7 on the Dot -
TICK TICK TICK...

coming to Shady Place
next year, and I hope
when the time comes
you'll set aside a few
minutes to tune me in.
Heck, you might even
come back for seconds.

CLICK TO START
THE VIDEO NOW!

Stick around. Coming up after the news, it's time to Flash Back
with Iris West, here on S-P-M-M Retrosonic RadioTo play
us off, here's Miu, the German retro blue-eyed soul band
fronted by singer/songwriter Nina Graf. Three months
have now passed (tick tick tick) since Christmas
and it seems Nina's "Chocolate Santa" has
overstayed his welcome. Now this is Dot
Everest saying bye-bye and see you in '23!


"Chocolate Santa" - Miu (Apr. 2020)

28 comments:

  1. Wow, am I first again? Happy Sunday to you my friend. I don't know about the Tick as a superhero but the Dot Time Zone seems like it's going to be a fun segment. I was not familiar with a few of the songs although I do know the artists. I'm a bit put off by Clapton lately because of his feelings about the vaccine. Hope you and the Mrs. are well. I've got another busy typing week and the A to Z is fast upon us and I'm not nearly ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet!

      I'm delighted to see you, dear friend! Yessum, you're the Early Bird and I thank you for coming over so promptly. Happy Sunday to you as well!

      This is the second Tick TV series that I have watched, and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, in spite of rave reviews from critics, it came and went after only two seasons. However, Dot Everest has earned a spot on the Shady Bunch DJ staff and she will be bringing you her show featuring nothing but "timely tunes" beginning next year.

      Yessum, I thought about Clapton's recent anti-vax posturing, but we cannot deny his talent and contributions to music over a span of many decades. That's why I included "After Midnight."

      Yessum, the A to Z Challenge starts this coming week. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the month of April.

      Thanks again for coming and have a wonderful week, dear friend Janet!

      Delete
  2. I only recently learned that Clapton was an anti-vaxxer.... but I try to remind myself that if we shunned all those with whom we didn't agree, we might not be listening/watching/reading anyone! (still, it's disappointing)

    I think I only knew three of these "Tick-ing" songs. The first one to come to my mind on that theme is Time by Pink Floyd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly!

      Thanks for hustling over to become the Early Bird runner-up, dear friend!

      Good point about Clapton, Kelly. I think it makes more sense to stay connected, listen to people, even those with whom we strongly disagree, and communicate in a mature, civilized manner. Hating on people only makes matters worse.

      If you know three out of the seven timely tunes Dot played in this sneak preview, that's pretty good. By the way, Jerry Blavat, The Geator with the Heater, is the man who introduced me to The Mighty Clouds of Joy, a gospel group turned secular. I bought their 1974 album entitled It's Time.

      Thanks again for joining the fun, dear friend Kelly. Have a super week!

      Delete
  3. I recognized Rock Around The Clock from watching the show, Happy Days when I was a kid. I loved that show.

    I haven't watched The Tick but maybe I should.

    Of course I recognized After Midnight. I'm pretty sure I've heard this song on some movies over the years.

    I remember watching the Sonny and Cher show when I was a kid. So I remember hearing that song.

    Abba has always been a favorite band of mine since my mom loved them and played them all the time when I was a kid.

    The other songs I'm not familiar with though. Falcor says hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary!

      Welcome back to Shady's Place, dear friend, and thanks for checking out Dot's preview post!

      Yessum, how about that brilliantly restored color video of Bill Haley and His Comets performing their signature song in the March, 1956, movie Rock Around the Clock? Tagline: "The Music. The Dancing. Rock'n'Roll at its Beginning." It was indeed the theme song of the hit TV sitcom Happy Days.

      The Tick is a fun TV series if you like weird superhero characters. The Tick reminds me a lot of Adam West's TV version of Batman.

      Yessum, that's another wonderful clip Dot found for this sneak peek - a custom sync edit of Sonny & Cher doing one of their sig songs. I watched both iterations of their TV series. I'm glad the ABBA clips brought back memories of being introduced to the Swedish group by your mother.

      Tell my buddy Falcor that Shady sends lubbins and thank you again for dropping by, dear friend Mary!

      Delete
  4. "...the now-famous song started out in obscurity as the B side of Haley's single!"

    If I remember correctly--I'm too lazy to look it up--when first released that B side came and went without any fanfare. Then maybe a year later it was used over the opening credits of the movie Blackboard Jungle, and THAT'S when it became a hit.

    Whenever you show Sonny and Cher, I always find myself praising Cher at the expense of Sonny. I don't mean to pick on Mr. Bono, but I'm afraid I'm going to do it again. Cher looks and sounds like she's really into the song, whereas Sonny seems more...aware of his surroundings. The lyrics aren't really all that profound--basically the song is saying some things change and some things stay the same--but the moody, mellow melody makes that obvious observation seem almost mystical, and Cher, herself mellow and mystical and NEVER obvious, taps into that.

    That's all for now.

    Finally, I


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore that "Finally, I" please. I have to get up early tomorrow and, whatever I wanted to say would have been too long and convoluted.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kirk!

      Thanks for coming over on day one to listen to the sneak preview of Dot Everest's new show coming next year to S-P-M-M Retrosonic Radio. I guarantee that every installment of 7 on the Dot (DASH) TICK TICK TICK... will be a time sensitive post.

      You're right, good buddy. Actually Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover of a song originally recorded by the Italian-American band Sonny Dae and His Knights and released in March, 1954. Haley's version was released two months later, in May, 1954. It registered on the Cash Box chart, but didn't set the world on fire until it was used in the 1955 Glenn Ford - Anne Francis social drama film Blackboard Jungle (not to be confused with Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park). The version of "Rock Around The Clock" used on the OST of that film differs from the version released to the public.

      Thanks for sharing your opinion about Sonny And Cher. As I think I have done before, I need to defend Sonny. Cher was a nervous, insecure teenage girl when Sonny took her under his wing and groomed her for success as part of their duo. Sonny decided that Cher should be the flashy one, the one who did most of the moving and gesticulating on stage. Sonny's role was to play it cool, remain aloof and let Cher be the main focus of the audience's attention. His performing style was deliberately casual. He often broke the fourth wall by doing what you wrote - seeming "aware of his surroundings.' He would glance off stage to show how ultra relaxed he was. Tom Snyder, Johnny Carson and others I admired routinely looked off stage and conversed with their producers in the middle of a show. Letterman routinely turned to Paul Shaffer for extended amounts of time, seemingly putting the show on hold to clarify a point or ask a question. Colbert also does this. In my book, all of these planned moves are examples of "cool." So, getting back to Sonny & Cher, it was Sonny who set it up for Cher to make a more direct connection with the viewer while he looked kinda bored with the whole thing. He did not try to compete with her for the audience's love and attention. The dynamic worked and I like it. I might add that Sonny who was also a talented songwriter.

      next...

      Delete
    3. I just read you second reply, Kirk. You don't fool me one bit, good buddy. This was just your way of helping to boost my shamefully low comment total, and I thank you. :)

      Have a great week, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Tom,

    Great song set! I always smile when I hear a Sonny & Cher. For some reason, they just seemed so mismatched. They pulled their music styles together somehow. Their popular "I Got You, Babe" usually is the first song to come to mind when I think of them. I forget about "The Beat Goes On". I played them while working in the kitchen. Listening to music always makes every task I do more fun. Thanks! Have a fabulous week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!

      Welcome, dear friend, to the sneak preview of 7 on the Dot - TICK TICK TICK... Dot Everest's radio show coming to Shady's Place in 2023!

      I'm happy to know you are a fan of Sonny And Cher. I would say that "The Beat Goes On" is considered one of their signature songs because it is their second highest charting single in the U.S. However, their single "Little Man," a song I barely remember, was actually their biggest overall, because it reached #1 in a number of Euro countries.

      I'm glad you put Dot's play list to good use keeping your mind entertained while you worked in the kitchen. Dot will be back next year with another set of songs about time, so stick around.

      Thanks again for coming, dear friend Cathy, and have a safe and happy week!

      Delete
  6. How come I've never heard of The Tick. That's something my husband and I would surely check out. It's amazing that with all the series and movies online, sometimes we find ourselves saying, "There's nothing to watch." It's like listening to people say they've got nothing to wear when they have a closetful of clothes. Keep those recommendations coming.

    Stay safe, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lux!

      Thanks so much for dropping in! I'm very happy to see you back here at Shady's Place, dear friend.

      I have now watched two TV series based on the fictional superhero The Tick. The first starred Patrick Warburton and aired in 2001. Unfortunately, it lasted only 8 episodes before being canceled. The second, which I finished last year, stars Peter Serafinowicz,
      Griffin Newman and Valorie Curry, the latter playing the character Dot Everest featured in this blog series. The second Tick series didn't fare much better than the first. It lasted only two seasons, 22 episodes in all.

      Yessum, I often hear Mrs. Shady complaining that there are "300 channels of nothing" on our Roku menu. If you are willing to search patiently, you can find some great shows and movies to watch.

      Thank you again for joining the fun at Shady's Place, dear friend Lux, and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shady!

    What a wonderful entry today! You posted some of my favourite songs and after coming home from a beach weekend, this playlist was perfect! Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, dear friend JM!

      Glad you enjoyed Dot's timely tunes served with a dash of humor. A beach weekend sounds tops. I predict you will tell me all about it in your latest post. :)

      Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend JM!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shady,

      Check out part II. :)

      Next beach trip, I'll have to play this entry

      Delete
  8. Well Shady, time has been passing me by fast! I'm late in posting but hopefully not out of the running...maybe I win an award for the last comment? I've been busy with family and now work issues but hopefully back on track and maybe even get a post of my own in soon! I could feel the tick tock of the clock when looking at the dates of the songs and seeing some milestone ones..first year of high school, graduation in '71, marriage in '74, on and on. I knew the artists and most of the songs thanks to those times! Anyway, I hope your week is going well and no bad weather getting in the way of the beauty of Florida! Up here it's up and down..cold, snow, sun, then maybe some warmth tomorrow...but there's warmth here anyway! Take care Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, YaYa!

      Thanks for joining the fun with Dot Everest, dear friend!

      Yessum, perhaps I should created a Late Bird Award for the last person to arrive at my weekly platter parties. :) However, you would not qualify this time because Dot's feature runs the rest of the week until Friday, April 1. I'm sure by now you know what to expect here at Shady's Place on that special day. :)

      Yessum, the songs in Dot's TICK TICK TICK preview remind us that Old Father Time marches on. They are like bookmarks in the stories of our lives. I'm glad you enjoyed them and that they triggered some fond memories.

      We had a hot spell recently followed by a return to winter cold, which to us is a welcome bonus. Once again, the temperature is creeping upward, and I doubt we will be able to enjoy refreshing cool air much longer. I look forward to seeing your next post which hopefully will include a picture of my girlfriend Annabelle.

      Thanks again for dropping by, dear friend YaYa, and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  9. ❤️ Hello, friend Shady. Theo Thunderbutt and I are still waiting for Springtime in Alberta. Other than that, we are doing alright. I hope, this note of mine finds you and your loved ones happy and healthy? Sending love. cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat!

      I'm excited to hear from you, dear friend! Been missing you and my buddy TT. I remember from years past that you have a long wait for spring to arrive in Alberta and that the warm seasons don't last long enough to suit you. No wonder you look forward to those winter getaways to PV.

      Yessum, Mrs. Shady and I are doing AOK. As you might expect, the weather is trending warmer here in Florida. For weeks, we have been running the air conditioner in the daytime and occasionally leaving it on overnight as well.

      Thank you again for coming down to say hello, dear friend cat. LUBBINS to you and my buddy Theo!

      Delete
    2. ❤️ No more travel for me for "a while". As I am not vaccinated, I cannot leave Canada, not even Alberta. It is what it is, eh? Anyway, my kids are all vaccinated for work requirements. A year and a half ago, my dil Leanne was preggers for 9(nine) weeks with her first child ... 1 (one) week later the ultra sound showed a baby with no heartbeat. She never miscarried, and stubbornly decided to carry the baby for another 3 weeks. The following ultrasound showed ... no heartbeat. So she followed doc's advice to have it taken out. Anyway, now is preggers again 25 weeks along :) And all seems well so far. Anyway, son and dil are in Portland, Oregon at this time to pick up a yurt built kit. It has always been their dream, to build a yurt on our south quarter :) I will try and find the 15 minute time-lapse video, that another couple did already, so you'll have an idea, what it looks like :) Love, cat.

      Delete
    3. https://youtu.be/-6f_GIqqZ8Y :)

      Delete
    4. Hi, again, dear cat!

      Well, I'm sorry to hear that, my good friend. You should get vaccinated a.s.a.p. Once you are, you'll be free to travel again.
      I am also terribly sorry to learn about Leanne's loss of an unborn child. Hopefully she will not suffer any complications with this pregnancy. I wish her all the best as she continues onward toward childbirth. Yessum, I remember you telling me your son and Leanne are intent on building a yurt and living in it. I remember you showing me a yurt video months ago when you first informed me about their plans. The vid you linked to today is different from that one and I appreciated seeing it. My dad would have loved to live in a yurt, but my mother hated camping and the woods and preferred civilization and all the modern conveniences. They were an odd couple in that respect.

      Thank you again for your kind visit and comments, dear friend cat. Please give my LUBBINS to kitty Theo!

      Delete
  10. Dot gave quite a tour from Bill Haley to ABBA to the blue-suited stud of a tick! You can't ask for more than this in any one post. Once again thanks for letting me rock around the clock early in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl-Lee!

      Thanks for coming to Dot's platter party preview, dear friend!

      Yessum, on her SPMM show, Dot Everest, the superheroine on The Tick, will be playing songs that mention time in the titles and/or lyrics, an example of the latter being "The Beat Goes On." You'd be amazed how many hit songs refer to seconds, minutes, hours, days, nights, weeks, months and years. I don't have "time" to list them all.

      I'm glad I had you rocking around the clock early in the morning on the West Coast. Thanks again for joining the fun and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Cheryl-Lee!

      Delete
  11. You know, I listened to this the other day and came to look and saw I didn’t comment! Ughhh...lol. I loved the Tick...the cartoon plus there was a short-lived series starring that deadpan man who was Elaine’s boyfriend fro. Seinfeld but I didn’t know they made a new one. I enjoyed listening to all of these, as you know especially Cher and Sonny and, obviously, ABBA. I know that song well and find it such a good song of theirs. Take care and see you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birgit!

      I'm pleased to see you, dear friend! You're just in "time" to enjoy this sneak preview of Dot's new radio show 7 on the Dot - TICK TICK TICK... Every song Dot spins refers to time in some way.

      Yessum, as I told another friend, I watched that earlier Tick series which aired in 2001. It starred the dry, low-key, deadpan actor Patrick Warburton from Seinfeld. A couple of years ago, I watched this latest Tick series that has Valorie Curry in the role of crime fighting vigilante Dot. I loved Valorie in the Kevin Bacon series The Following and was happy to see her turn up in The Tick.

      Yessum, I think "The Day Before You Came" is a great but underrated ABBA song. I'm glad you enjoyed it along with the Sonny & Cher biggie "The Beat Goes On."

      Thanks again for making "time" for a visit and for your usual excellent comments, dear friend BB. I see you tamale "At The Movies!"

      Delete

I wanna know
What you're thinking
There are some things you can't hide
I wanna know
What you're feeling
Tell me what's on your mind